Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full Cholesterol test

Options
  • 23-03-2019 7:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

Anyone have an idea of a place that does a full cholesterol test (one where they send it off for analysis) in the city?
    Rang my doctors but they're looking for 70euro which is a bit steep.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Last year I got a full blood work up in Rowe Creavin for 20 euro... (took about a week for the results to come back) and lipids/cholesterol were one of the tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Last year I got a full blood work up in Rowe Creavin for 20 euro... (took about a week for the results to come back) and lipids/cholesterol were one of the tests.

Cheers, Are you a patient there?
    Thats the test i'm looking for btw, the breakdown of HDL and LDL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Boooourns wrote: »
    Anyone have an idea of a place that does a full cholesterol test (one where they send it off for analysis) in the city?
    Rang my doctors but they're looking for 70euro which is a bit steep.

Live is cheap!

Why am I amazed by such idiots?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Live is cheap!

That's grand but why not ask a question for free on a forum and see if the exact same thing can be done cheaper?

Live is cheap!

I'd gladly have you say that to my face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Cheers, Are you a patient there?
    Thats the test i'm looking for btw, the breakdown of HDL and LDL.

I have been going there a few years alright, so probably technically I am a patient, although I don't have a specific doctor I go to.

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    I have been going there a few years alright, so probably technically I am a patient, although I don't have a specific doctor I go to.

Ah fair enough cheers. I remember paying around 30 euro a while back, 70 is taking the p!ss a bit.

I'd gladly have you say that to my face.

Says the guy with probably no health or life assurance!

€70 in the pocket is so more important than getting yourself checked out!

It becomes a question of which you value more?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Not necessarily, it sometimes comes down to, can one actually afford it

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Not necessarily, it sometimes comes down to, can one actually afford it

I don't think €70 will cover the cost of a funeral but maybe he knows someone!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

70 = doctor consultation/ taking of bloods + 20 for courier to take bloods to the lab in the hospital for testing ...most likely.

Save yourself 20. Get Gp (€50) to give you a test form and go to the hospital where they can be done for free.

Make sure you get them done having faster from night before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Blood analysis is carried out for free in the phlebotomy labs in the larger public hospitals, so the charge levied relates to the fee payable to the doctor or nurse who takes the sample and the cost of the materials used (swabs, needle, sample phials, packaging/transport of sample, etc.).

Problem is that the results are usually sent back to the GP, so one has to see him/her again (and probably pay) for a diagnosis of the results!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I don't think €70 will cover the cost of a funeral but maybe he knows someone!

Give over. It was a valid question.

Says the guy with probably no health or life assurance!

€70 in the pocket is so more important than getting yourself checked out!

As I said I'd discuss this in person with you, just drop me a pm. You seem to have big bravado behind the keyboard.

70 = doctor consultation/ taking of bloods + 20 for courier to take bloods to the lab in the hospital for testing ...most likely.

Save yourself 20. Get Gp (€50) to give you a test form and go to the hospital where they can be done for free.

Make sure you get them done having faster from night before.

Yeah I'm not looking to see the doctor I just want the test done which is done elsewhere for around 30, just was wondering if anyone could help me out with a place which does it.
    Simple question complicated by idiots (Well one idiot).

Squatter wrote: »
    Blood analysis is carried out for free in the phlebotomy labs in the larger public hospitals, so the charge levied relates to the fee payable to the doctor or nurse who takes the sample and the cost of the materials used (swabs, needle, sample phials, packaging/transport of sample, etc.).

Problem is that the results are usually sent back to the GP, so one has to see him/her again (and probably pay) for a diagnosis of the results!

I've gotten them done before and the nurse in the doctors has rang back with the results which was fine. They have changed it now though which is a pain. I know how to read the results as I get it done regular enough to keep track of my health.

Advertisement