Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2018-19 Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hitch2222

Yea, it’s pretty nice. People were generally very nice but I just find the whole place ironic or full of hypocrisy, no alcohol but everyone is walking around with a big gulp, have as many kids as you can, be poor and give all your money to the church, such a farce.

On Russel, the man gets so much abuse, it is absolutely shocking, let’s be honest, it’s because of how he dresses, his perceived attitude and he is black. You wouldn’t see Curry get that much hate.
    You would be hard pressed to find a player over the years that plays as hard and honest every single night like Westbrook.

I think extremely good result for Westbrook and players. The fine had to be given for profanity but the real win was that even without any video evidence they banned the fan. It won't stop the abuse but it shows that they're willing to take players word and act on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,156 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Angliru wrote: »
    Scenes if Draymond demands to be traded and Durant and Klay don't re-sign. We can dream...

No dynasty lasts forever. At the conclusion of this season they’ll have won four out of five ships, enjoyed the greatest regular season of all time and revolutionised the game. That they became the first team to throw away a 3 - 1 series lead in the finals made the ensuing titles all the sweeter in the end.

They’ve had a good run. I’m certainly ready for something else.

Draymond signs with LeBron Klutch.

He's an interesting one moving forward, hard to determine his market value into the future.

I think the GSW dynasty begins to unravel this summer with Steph the only one who stays for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Just watched the GSW Rockets game from Wednesday night. Probably finished closer than it should have but Houston are capable of cutting back any deficit very quickly. I generally dislike watching the Rockets play, but in fairness the GSW games have such crazy swings it's an interesting watch.

Boogie had a great game, made the difference in the end and gave hope he could be a big factor in the playoffs. One of my favourite sights in the NBA over the past few years has been Boogie picking up the ball like a guard and steamrolling through anybody in his way. He is literally unstoppable on his day, hopefully his injury is behind him.

I'd love a Philly-golden state finals to be honest, 2 insane starting 5s

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 111 ✭✭Deadmou5e

I’m just so happy there isn’t a Warriors v Lebron finals this year, conference or championship. Bored ridged of it at this stage.

• Advertisement

Deadmou5e wrote: »
    I’m just so happy there isn’t a Warriors v Lebron finals this year, conference or championship. Bored ridged of it at this stage.

Agreed, four was enough. The Warriors will hopefully break up after they win this year. A half decade of any nailed on outcome is more than enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I thought if anyone was going to break Spurs 8 game win streak it was the Warriors. Nope. I wouldn't be surprised if Heat put the pressure on tomorrow night and won but Spurs have been playing pretty well the last two weeks.

I'll admit the Warriors got pulled up on a few minor fouls but Steph Curry getting in the refs face and throwing a tantrum didn't get a technical where any other player would have got one. Other players seem to get technicals just for being visibly annoyed after a foul. Hell Pop got one in December.

Pretty sweet 60ft buzzer beater though...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,015 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Fair play to the Nets. Down 25 in the 4th on the road, and win the game. That doesn't happen too often, probably 'comeback win of the year.' Led by the reserves, their biggest 'name' player Dinwiddie wasn't much of a factor.

Old farts like me remember when the 3 pointer wasn't in the NBA, it was the ABA that had it and ABA was the 'gimmick' league. Then it came in but further away than now. Now it's at the college line. Still, it makes the games interesting.

• Advertisement

Igotadose wrote: »
    Fair play to the Nets. Down 25 in the 4th on the road, and win the game. That doesn't happen too often, probably 'comeback win of the year.' Led by the reserves, their biggest 'name' player Dinwiddie wasn't much of a factor.

Old farts like me remember when the 3 pointer wasn't in the NBA, it was the ABA that had it and ABA was the 'gimmick' league. Then it came in but further away than now. Now it's at the college line. Still, it makes the games interesting.

The Nets are doing lots of good stuff. They've really rebuilt from scraps, clearly got a great deal on Russell, put Dinwiddie in position, developed Allen who I envisage as a Capela/Adams type standard.

The only fear is that they end up in NBA purgatory but they're a big market with a great brand so perhaps they can attract some FA's in the next couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,562 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

A formality at this stage but the Lakers are now officially out of playoff contention, I'm not sure a single person legitimately saw this coming at the start of the season.

A formality at this stage but the Lakers are now officially out of playoff contention, I'm not sure a single person legitimately saw this coming at the start of the season.

Well, I don’t think anyone saw LeBron missing a 20 game stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

I presume this is the first time in his career that he's missed the playoffs?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

rushfan wrote: »
    I presume this is the first time in his career that he's missed the playoffs?
    No, missed them his first two seasons.

76ers beat Celtics last night, nothing of particular interest on the surface as they won by 3 points etc.
    What was interesting watching the game was the line ups, minutes played and bench depth. It very much looks like the proportions they'll attempt to use in the playoffs.
    All 5 starters in double figures with Embiid playing heavy minutes.

Even though I thought the Bucks played very well without Giannis the other night, the more I watch the more I feel like the 76ers distributing their minutes like this will progress out of the East.
    IMO Toronto are the threat and their trump card could well be what they can get from Gasol. If he can get anywhere close to DOY Gasol, they could get through.
    Thus far though I'd fancy the 76ers, this will depend on Embiid's fitness & as mentioned what Gasol shows up for Toronto.

On a side not OKC are down to 8th in the West. Obviously it can flip quite quickly but they were flirting with 2nd after All-Star break. I think any of the teams outside Home Court advantage right now would fancy their chances against Portland and Denver

Toronto are my favourites to come out of the east, partially for how they've managed Kawhi all season, he's missed 20 games this season, most of them due to "load management." He's never really had to exert himself and will be fresh come playoff time.

As a Portland fan I'm hoping for the Spurs, Clippers, or Jazz in that order. GS are the only team that'll have an easy time in the first round, but even they could drop a game or two if they face OKC. I'm really hoping for an OKC vs Houston first round match up.

I think teams out east will be hoping to avoid Brooklyn in the first, I don't think they can win a series against any of the east's top 5 but they could make them work and possibly take it to 6.

Toronto are my favourites to come out of the east, partially for how they've managed Kawhi all season, he's missed 20 games this season, most of them due to "load management." He's never really had to exert himself and will be fresh come playoff time.

As a Portland fan I'm hoping for the Spurs, Clippers, or Jazz in that order. GS are the only team that'll have an easy time in the first round, but even they could drop a game or two if they face OKC. I'm really hoping for an OKC vs Houston first round match up.

I think teams out east will be hoping to avoid Brooklyn in the first, I don't think they can win a series against any of the east's top 5 but they could make them work and possibly take it to 6.

I'd take the Clippers over the Spurs tbh. Pure pedigree, coaching and a little more star power.
    I don't think anyone wants the Jazz as you said.
    I'd group them with OKC & Rockets as the biggest threat to GSW

• Registered Users Posts: 19,990 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

watched Murray States Ja Morant last night, as their first round NCAA match was on around 8.20pm GMT so a good time for watching a match. He looked a class above , and got only the 8th triple double in NCAA tournament history. will surely go very high in the draft.

• Advertisement

2smiggy wrote: »
    watched Murray States Ja Morant last night, as their first round NCAA match was on around 8.20pm GMT so a good time for watching a match. He looked a class above , and got only the 8th triple double in NCAA tournament history. will surely go very high in the draft.

Yeah first since Draymond got two. Hard to square retrospectively that scouts didn't think Draymond was particularly good given he got 2 triple doubles in the tournament.
    I'd be curious if it was re-run today where he lands on new analytics. I wonder about that in various drafts.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

2smiggy wrote: »
    Technically the 8th player, 9th time.
    He's been projected to go 2nd or 3rd since early in the season, toss up with him and Barrett I'd say, Barrett may get it as the bigger name, with bigger performances against better opposition on the biggest stage.

Morant is EXACTLY what the Bulls need. The ideal player in a position of huge need.

Fingers crossed we can get the slice of lottery luck to land him.

With the Jazz falling to Atlanta last night there's now a 4-way tie from 5th-8th in the west with 10 games remaining, playoff seeding is going right down to the wire. Denver are only half a game back from GS and Portland the same with Houston too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Watching the Rockets "beat" the Spurs. James Harden is a disgrace to basketball, as are the refs on his side. DeRozan got an offensive foul while shooting because Harden leaned into him and got brushed on his beard. No elbow or off arm at all. No shoulder check to make space, nothing.

Moments earlier, Rudy Gay got a full on arm to the face and got no call (among a few other obvious fouls).

The whole game Spurs couldn't play any sort of defense because Harden, can't breathe near him while shooting for fear of a foul.

Spurs were doing well attacking the rim in the second half after trailing by 19 into the third and managed to hold a small lead until the beard incident.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Watching the Rockets "beat" the Spurs. James Harden is a disgrace to basketball, as are the refs on his side. DeRozan got an offensive foul while shooting because Harden leaned into him and got brushed on his beard. No elbow or off arm at all. No shoulder check to make space, nothing.

Moments earlier, Rudy Gay got a full on arm to the face and got no call (among a few other obvious fouls).

The whole game Spurs couldn't play any sort of defense because Harden, can't breathe near him while shooting for fear of a foul.

Spurs were doing well attacking the rim in the second half after trailing by 19 into the third and managed to hold a small lead until the beard incident.

I can understand people not liking watching him play due to the foul drawing but it feels a substantial reach to think refs are protecting him.

You're talking about an isolated few instances in one game. Variance tends to balance this stuff out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

And here I was thinking Harden might get some credit on this thread for a change! That was an amazing performance and might put him back in the lead of the MVP race.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Drawing a foul has been seen as a skill to every single player in NBA history bar James Harden just because he's so much better than everyone else at it.

I assume this must be relatively standard post game but work ethic is impressive nonetheless

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=26337334

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/dvnjr/status/1109270576336683008?s=21

What a superb photo. Click into it for maximum effect.

That one could be iconic in a few years time!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement