Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking/Offers for a new apiary site

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭peteshamrock

Effects wrote: »
    Are you on Facebook? Post asking if any of your friends would let you keep them in their garden.

Is your own garden out of the question?

Yeah too small a garden. As for friends two have huge gardens but are deathly afraid of bees.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭davidk1394

How ye lads,
    Just wondering would any of ye have interest in some ground for some bees. It is a grassland sheep and beef farm but there's about 2-3 acres that is overgrown and has a stream flowing through it. It is primarily grass and has ditches around it. There's easy access to the field and its generally flat with some humps and hollows. I'm based near Carrick on Suir in Tipperary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭ Remi Old-fashioned Pushcart

davidk1394 wrote: »
    How ye lads,
    Just wondering would any of ye have interest in some ground for some bees. It is a grassland sheep and beef farm but there's about 2-3 acres that is overgrown and has a stream flowing through it. It is primarily grass and has ditches around it. There's easy access to the field and its generally flat with some humps and hollows. I'm based near Carrick on Suir in Tipperary.

If you've not already done so I'd get in touch with the local beekeeping association, they'd probably have people looking for a spot http://www.southtippbees.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭welsummer

I am based in Blanchardstown / Castleknock area and am looking for a site to keep bees in the West Dublin Area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭ezra_

Have a site that is south of Blessington, Wicklow.

• Advertisement

Too far for me

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

We have set up a link on http://www.irishbeekeeping.ie "Can we help you"

If you are a FIBKA beekeeper looking for a site or a farmer looking for bees to pollinate a crop fill up the form , ans we will try and connect you up. There are currently 3 sites in Enniscorthy , Gorey and Drumsna Leitrim looking for bees

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Has anybody here got a nucleus? Long story, but my calves broke into a neighbour's garden and turned their hive upside down, the bees died so I'd like to try and replace them for him. Thanks in advance.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

What part of the county are you in. I might have but I won't know for another week.

N Tipp/ s Offaly area, can you PM me please if anything shows up, if I can get one locally in the meantime I'll post here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

blue5000 wrote: »
    Has anybody here got a nucleus? Long story, but my calves broke into a neighbour's garden and turned their hive upside down, the bees died so I'd like to try and replace them for him. Thanks in advance.

Some here in Newbridge: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1609391179290001/

bpmurray wrote: »

Thanks bp, got the nuc set up this evening, hopefully they'll settle in to their new home ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Mfwic_47

I want to find someone who can show me the ropes. I'm currently augmenting my immediate area with with nectar generating wildflowers, saplings and trees. I have an semi-organic polytunnel.

I'll supply the investment and the beekeeper can keep 80% of the harvest, as long as he teaches me along the way.

Frank "The Yank" McAlonan

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Galvium Irredentum

I'd recommend you'd join local club and do beginners course - I don't think you'll get anyone otherwise. You'll be insured properly if you join an association; perhaps the main benefit but you'll also meet contacts and get to know people who know people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭victor8600

Mfwic_47 wrote: »
    I want to find someone who can show me the ropes.

Yes, please find an association. Some associations pair new beekeepers with mentors or have a training apiary.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

Mfwic_47 wrote: »
    I want to find someone who can show me the ropes. I'm currently augmenting my immediate area with with nectar generating wildflowers, saplings and trees. I have an semi-organic polytunnel.

I'll supply the investment and the beekeeper can keep 80% of the harvest, as long as he teaches me along the way.

Frank "The Yank" McAlonan

Your best bet is to make contact with Westport beekeepers

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

Beginner here looking for site ballina killaloe, or neighbouring villages, townslands etc. I m currently doing beginners course and am paid up for membership and insurance through fibka. I 've put up add here on regional forum for clare and tipp also.
    Any other good ways of finding site, add in the local shop knocking on doors?

Beginner here looking for site ballina killaloe, or neighbouring villages, townslands etc. I m currently doing beginners course and am paid up for membership and insurance through fibka. I 've put up add here on regional forum for clare and tipp also.
    Any other good ways of finding site, add in the local shop knocking on doors?

Ask on the FIBKA web site - there's a section in the middle of the first page. And your idea about the local shop is good - also try your local farm supplies shop.

If you're just beginning, perhaps you can keep your bees on the association apiary for a year. That would be really good for you - you would have loads of expertise to help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭ Remi Old-fashioned Pushcart

knocking on doors?

That's what I did, got on my bike, hit the back roads (North County Dublin) with a few flyers that I printed up and knocked on doors stopped any walkers. 3-4 hours and I got two offers of sites.

First year out I was in my association's apiary, if that's an option go for it, you'll learn loads.

Good ideas, I m waiting for an beachaire to get my log on details. The association apiary is about 40 minutes drive but the learning might make it worth it. It did make me think if there s one not so far away that I could use as there was a training course in ul that would be not too far. Will try knocking on a few doors though definitely

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Axton Clean Rigor

Interesting idea, letting beekeepers have hives on your land.

Took a look at the page on the website (linked above) but see I've to be a member to see it.
    Can't find details about membership of getting the magazine anywhere on the site.
    I was talking to my other half about hives but having someone put them in the field would suit perfectly.

Interesting idea, letting beekeepers have hives on your land.

Took a look at the page on the website (linked above) but see I've to be a member to see it.
    Can't find details about membership of getting the magazine anywhere on the site.
    I was talking to my other half about hives but having someone put them in the field would suit perfectly.
    You should be able to join your local association, so just Google your county and beekeeping. The magazine comes with the membership I think.

The hives Don t take a lot of space to be honest but they do need to be separated from livestock as cows, sheep might inadvertently knock them over. I think horses are not good companions with them as the bees freak them out a bit.

You should be able to join your local association, so just Google your county and beekeeping. The magazine comes with the membership I think.

The hives Don t take a lot of space to be honest but they do need to be separated from livestock as cows, sheep might inadvertently knock them over. I think horses are not good companions with them as the bees freak them out a bit.

It's a shame that they lock people out of what could be an informative site by insisting they are members of an association (with a cost I assume) before they can get any information from the website.

Many of us don't want to join an association just to let beekeepers have hives on our land.

I've no livestock. Just a large field at the back of the house.

It's a shame that they lock people out of what could be an informative site by insisting they are members of an association (with a cost I assume) before they can get any information from the website.

Many of us don't want to join an association just to let beekeepers have hives on our land.

I've no livestock. Just a large field at the back of the house.

True enough, I can t imagine people offering a space all joining the association, if you contact your local association I m sure they would put the word out. Alternatively I d be happy to post it on the site for you, when I get my member ship details.

True enough, I can t imagine people offering a space all joining the association, if you contact your local association I m sure they would put the word out. Alternatively I d be happy to post it on the site for you, when I get my member ship details.
    Thanks. I've been in touch with the local association. I'll see how it pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

If anyone is looking for a site to put their bees I have 1 acre near Athboy, Co. Meath.

I have ready allowed people to put hives on the land and have no problem with anyone else doing the same. Interested in getting into beekeeping in the future so happy to help out where I can. Just send me a PM

YourName wrote: »
    If anyone is looking for a site to put their bees I have 1 acre near Athboy, Co. Meath.

I have ready allowed people to put hives on the land and have no problem with anyone else doing the same. Interested in getting into beekeeping in the future so happy to help out where I can. Just send me a PM

If there are bees on a single acre already, there isn't enough room for more! Even for something like rapeseed, the goal is a single hive per acre. Of course they fly over a much greater area, but I think you should really only have hives from a single beekeeper on your place.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭timfromtang

Greetings all,
    I'd like to offer our 120 acre farm as an apiary site for any beekeeper who is interested. We've 100 acres of trees planted, including many species preferred by bees for forage. For example, Rowan, Hazel, Hawthorn, Willow, Lime, Spanish chestnut, Sycamore, Norway and field Maple, Alder, Cherry, etc.
    There are no hives that I know of locally.
    We're centrally located close to Ballymahon, within easy reach of Mullingar, Athlone, Longford etc.
    tim

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

I own 1 acre but it is in the countryside with acres of land as far as the eye can see (Not 1 acre in a town setting), acres of rapeseed nearby along with acres of heather in the other direction on an old bog. This is very rural but accessable around the clock too. The 1 acre is just the site they can be placed but is by no means their only foraging area.

There's no bees on the land at the moment (My OP days there was bees on it in the past), and land has no livestock on it ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

Hi folks,
    Looking for a site for 2 hives in north county dublin ( swords) if anybody can help me out i'd be very grateful

Thanks

Advertisement