Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips HD9240/90 Avance Collection Airfryer, 2100 W - Extra-Large £166.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Wow, £115 back in Nov was some price.

Still a good price now if someone is in the market for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,062 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I'm in the market for one, but I will wait till it goes down to £115 again. Or buy a smaller one / cheaper clone

Got rid of my old one after many years of good service. It was starting to smell the house out and beyond cleaning.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    I’m on my third one now

Presumably you also got rid of your previous ones because they got too dirty / smelly?

I never cleaned the element in mine. Doing so would probably have increased its useful life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭dodzy

unkel wrote: »
    Presumably you also got rid of your previous ones because they got too dirty / smelly?

I never cleaned the element in mine. Doing so would probably have increased its useful life.

I’d imagine it’s the basket and base that got manky as contamination would just burn off the element at high temperature. Easily replaceable from Philips for both the 9230 and 40.

the element is easy to clean I’ve now discovered, a rub with a cheap washing up brash now and then does wonders

I've now discovered that too, although it was too late to save the yoke :p
    dodzy wrote: »
    I’d imagine it’s the basket and base that got manky as contamination would just burn off the element at high temperature. Easily replaceable from Philips for both the 9230 and 40.

Yeah the element didn't look too bad in fairness. Prices of the basket and base seem expensive. If you need to replace both, you might as well get a whole new machine, get new warranty, etc.

Can't complain as we have used it lots and lots over many years. Far easier and quicker than sticking the oven on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

would this size suit 2 adults and a toddler for dinners (maybe chips or sausages)

cant afford the XXL price, so hoping the XL will do the job.

the xxl isnt much bigger than the xl, you can get a 1.6kg chicken into the xl no problem

excellent. will order now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Esse85 wrote: »
    Wow, £115 back in Nov was some price.

Still a good price now if someone is in the market for one.

It's worth waiting for deals on these things, I waited for a year or so and saw this on here for 80 down from 320: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-HD9650-99-Collection-Technology/dp/B077ZFCZT3/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1553172051&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=philips+xl+airfryer+9650

the xxl isnt much bigger than the xl, you can get a 1.6kg chicken into the xl no problem

And the standard one will fit a small 1.1kg chicken. Just. :D

• Advertisement

I was without a fryer for a month and it was a fecking nuisance and the electric bill went up using the cooker again

That's something I didn't consider. Do you notice a cost benefit on electricity usage with them?

That's something I didn't consider. Do you notice a cost benefit on electricity usage with them?

Of course! Oven is 3kW, Airfryer 1.4kW. Oven takes about 15 minutes to heat up and then 1:15 to cook a small chicken. Airfryer does it in about 50 minutes, no preheating

Or in other words, the oven uses 3-4 times as much electricity as the airfryer for that job

thanks. That's good to know. it's being delivered on Wednesday so looking forward to trying it out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I haven't because I end up using it way more than I would an oven, as it's way better!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I haven't because I end up using it way more than I would an oven, as it's way better!

What do you use it for? :)

Unkel, what do you reckon contributed to the mankiness of yours? I'm guessing animal fat dripping all over it if you're doing chickens and stuff didn't help?

The cost savings mentioned above make it pretty tempting.

Was the December 2018 deal of €80 for the XXL just a random reduction, or was it some Black Friday/Cyber Monday shenanigans?

cormie wrote: »
    Unkel, what do you reckon contributed to the mankiness of yours? I'm guessing animal fat dripping all over it if you're doing chickens and stuff didn't help?

Yes the worst offender was probably (skin on) chicken wings / thighs / legs marinated in herbs and spices

I did put both base and basket in the dishwasher after every heavy use like above, but it built up over time. The element actually looked pretty clean (despite me having never washed it)

I just read the Airfryer was launched in 2012, which means I probably got it in 2013 when the first deals became available. Means I had it for 5-6 years. It owed me nothing

Tempted to just go for a GBP35-40 clone and feck it in the bin every 3 years when it will undoubtedly get smelly / smokey. Thoughts?

The clones tend to have a smaller capacity from what I’ve seen

4l, GBP39.99

Linky

What's the capacity in litres of the original Philips airfryer (that I had)? I can't seem to easily find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Yes the worst offender was probably (skin on) chicken wings / thighs / legs marinated in herbs and spices

I did put both base and basket in the dishwasher after every heavy use like above, but it built up over time. The element actually looked pretty clean (despite me having never washed it)

I just read the Airfryer was launched in 2012, which means I probably got it in 2013 when the first deals became available. Means I had it for 5-6 years. It owed me nothing

Tempted to just go for a EUR 40.39 -40 clone and feck it in the bin every 3 years when it will undoubtedly get smelly / smokey. Thoughts?

2.2 Litres i think is the original

I reckon much like with the auld colour TV, I had the first Airfryer in Ireland, tis still going strong

No particular smokeyness one cleaned, combination of handwashing to remove most of the crud and a finish in the dishwasher

done an unmerciful number of chicken wings in it over the years, undoubtedly the king of the airfryer foods

The Element gets so hot that nothing will survive on it

Not sure what the average power usage on the oven (clicks on off when it gets to temp) vs the airfryer is in terms of actual leccy usage, but a lot of time is saved and the results are a country mile apart

You can fit say 3 times as much in the oven and do a complete meal there, but it never seems to be as hot or as dry perhaps to crisp things up, i think that's where the air fryer gets it's win from, the amount of air and the strength of the fan.

2.2 Litres i think is the original

In that case 4l would be perfect for us, had to do home made chips in two batches for us on my old one (family of 5)

What do you use it for? :)

The cost savings mentioned above make it pretty tempting.

Was the December 2018 deal of €80 for the XXL just a random reduction, or was it some Black Friday/Cyber Monday shenanigans?

Anything I would use my oven for, or george foreman or some fried things. A lot of tofu (way better than the oven), tofu scramble too, roast veg, roast potatoes, falafel, that kind of thing. Don't juse any oil generally, but it's better to use some with veg to stop charring.

If you clean it it's fine. I don't even clean it that often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Pixied

I bought one from the December deal. It was cutting out from day one and eventually died.

I had to send mine back and Amazon have sent out a new one but I notice the new one cuts out the odd time too. I'm afraid this one is going to die next.

Has anyone had this problem? I don't overfill, so that's not the problem. Faulty batch maybe?

Mine's never cut out, used every day.

If you put the timer on too short a time, it can cut out. Same as many microwaves with mechanical controls do. Just put the timer onto a long time. Or is that not what you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭audi02

Pixied wrote: »
    I bought one from the December deal. It was cutting out from day one and eventually died.

I had to send mine back and Amazon have sent out a new one but I notice the new one cuts out the odd time too. I'm afraid this one is going to die next.

Has anyone had this problem? I don't overfill, so that's not the problem. Faulty batch maybe?

Im glad it wasn't just me. I sent 3 back where they kept cutting out. Have my 4th one a few months now and no probs. Must have been a faulty batch

Edited to say I had an older Philips airfryer so I knew how to set the timer! I also bought the xxl for £80 as it was such a good deal but I havent opened it yet. Hoping that doesnt have the cutting out fault

audi02, will gladly give you £80 if you don't intend on using yours :D

£250 for the XXL compared to £40 for the one Unkel linked to? What makes the Philips so much better that it's 6x the price?

Tar, sounds great, I'd say you could do very nice breaded jackfruit and that too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭audi02

£250 for the XXL compared to £40 for the one Unkel linked to? What makes the Philips so much better that it's 6x the price?

Tar, sounds great, I'd say you could do very nice breaded jackfruit and that too :D

Ha ha thanks for the offer but I'll have to pass...our airfryer is used every single day and with an expanding family it wont be long before weve 2 on the go.

I do regret not buying a few xxl when they were so cheap.

Don't know. I've used one cheaper one and it wasn't cooking the food as well but it was still good. I don't know about longevity etc. Mines only a few months old and that one was brand new. I'm sure the cheaper ones do a grand job, it's just a small convection oven witha good fan.

Thanks :) Might just keep an eye out for the XXL on special, if anyone catches it, please post back here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭dodzy

Tempted to just go for a GBP35-40 clone and feck it in the bin every 3 years when it will undoubtedly get smelly / smokey. Thoughts?

New basket is 20 quid, new base is the same. So 40quid and you’re back to brand new once again.

• Advertisement

New basket + base costs a lot more than a brand new airfryer (clone), that comes with a new warranty, etc.

Advertisement