Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf in New York

Options
  • 18-03-2019 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

I am heading to New York in a couple of weeks and I am looking to play maybe 1 or 2 rounds of Golf while I am over there. Some of the courses I have looked up are extremely expensive which is to be expected. I was wondering does anyone have any past experiences of golfing in New York and if so what courses did you play.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Sean_pop wrote: »
    I am heading to New York in a couple of weeks and I am looking to play maybe 1 or 2 rounds of Golf while I am over there. Some of the courses I have looked up are extremely expensive which is to be expected. I was wondering does anyone have any past experiences of golfing in New York and if so what courses did you play.

We only went for 5 days in Feb. And happed upon a driving range at pier 59 (lower westside I believe). Its a 4 deck driving range that was reasonably priced.
    Great craic but certainly not to be replaced with a round or two. Having never hit off anything above ground level before I had a great time.

Have a blast!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Never played in manhattan but went a few times up towards Connecticut and across George Washington bridge to New Jersey to play. Saxon Hills was one place i recall, Emerson in NJ i think another.

Can’t recall prices and courses were only ok but it was affordable. If transport is an issue you could check out car or van hire for the day which can be got quite cheap there. One problem i recall having was finding the courses so gps would be useful if going that route.

Maybe worth looking at some of the public courses like Van Cortlandt too? Would have thought prices weren’t so steep.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

Bethpage would be my recommendation. Black if you can get on there, but plenty of other quality courses there too (5 18 hole courses)

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭thegolfer

Bethpage would be my recommendation. Black if you can get on there, but plenty of other quality courses there too (5 18 hole courses)

Would recommend this, however the PGA Championship is on in May and golf could be restricted, however, there are another 4 courses in the complex. The black course to play was only 120 dollars for a green fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Sean_pop

Personally I would love to play the Black course. However I am travelling with someone who is only playing Golf a couple of years and the Black course could turn him off it. Those rates seem to be very reasonable for the course that it is.

With regard to Van Cortlandt, do you know if they have clubs available for hire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Sean_pop wrote: »
    Personally I would love to play the Black course. However I am travelling with someone who is only playing Golf a couple of years and the Black course could turn him off it. Those rates seem to be very reasonable for the course that it is.

With regard to Van Cortlandt, do you know if they have clubs available for hire.

Not 100% on the club hire but I can say I’ve played several courses round the area and all had club hire available. Would drop a line to check though.

One other, not so great, aspect of my playing experience around ny/nj area was packed courses and horribly slow rounds. Wasn’t everytime but certainly most of it. Just something to be a little wary of anyway.

Advertisement