Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clongriffin - Parkedge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 trooperdx3117

kceire wrote: »
    Usually there or there abouts. You house is so far off, there’s no way of knowing just yet. It may not even be started construction yet.

Ah fair, I think some of the houses are being built in the are we're buying although their literally just foundations and a few bits of walls at the moment.
    I'm sure we're going to be dropping by a few times over the coming year to peek in on the progress.
    Loughc wrote: »
    Congrats on your purchase it’s an exciting time ahead for you.

We bought in Belltree in the last phase and we were told Sept/Oct move in date and we are moving in November with the delay being due to ESB so all in all they were fairly spot on.

Ah brilliant congrats, you must be excited to be moving in! :)

If ours is in line with that should be fine, we have our mortgage approval until Mid-August 2019, so hopefully we'll be done before then so we don't have to go through the rigmarole of getting all the documents and application together again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

kceire wrote: »
    Usually there or there abouts. You house is so far off, there’s no way of knowing just yet. It may not even be started construction yet.

Ah fair, I think some of the houses are being built in the are we're buying although their literally just foundations and a few bits of walls at the moment.
    I'm sure we're going to be dropping by a few times over the coming year to peek in on the progress.
    Congrats on your purchase it’s an exciting time ahead for you.

We bought in Belltree in the last phase and we were told Sept/Oct move in date and we are moving in November with the delay being due to ESB so all in all they were fairly spot on.

If ours is in line with that should be fine, we have our mortgage approval until Mid-August 2019, so hopefully we'll be done before then so we don't have to go through the rigmarole of getting all the documents and application together again!

I’m LoughCs wife, we are snagging in 2 weeks, what street did you buy on?

Jwacqui wrote: »
    I’m LoughCs wife, we are snagging in 2 weeks, what street did you buy on?

We're going to be on Park Mews, I believe the plan is to extend park street out along with park terrace north/south. We'll be just off park street between it and park terrace south!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭irishbigfoot

Congratulations trooperdx3117. Yep the foundations have gone down in that section and by the time they get further hopefully some of the roads will be opened up so you can stalk it from a closer position. We were there every couple of months to check the progress.

Ours was about 3 months later than expected- was supposed to be end of July but was end of October and didn't get keys until November as there was another couple weeks delay with a backlog in DCC to sign off on it.

We had to get an extension for the mortgage approval and I don't think there was too much of a problem as it was a new build...had a problem more with actually drawing down the mortgage as KBC kept on spelling Belltree with one L no matter how many times we told them it was wrong!

There is a FB group for Belltree/Parkedge that you can join as well and can be good for asking questions about furniture/flooring/appliances etc- just ask one of the admins as it's a closed group.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

We had to get an extension for the mortgage approval and I don't think there was too much of a problem as it was a new build...had a problem more with actually drawing down the mortgage as KBC kept on spelling Belltree with one L no matter how many times we told them it was wrong!

Our mortgage is with Bank Of Ireland and they keep spelling Clongriffin wrong... just the one f. And we've told them time after time as well. Must get onto them again to make sure it doesn't delay our drawdown, thanks!

• Advertisement

Congratulations trooperdx3117. Yep the foundations have gone down in that section and by the time they get further hopefully some of the roads will be opened up so you can stalk it from a closer position. We were there every couple of months to check the progress.

Ours was about 3 months later than expected- was supposed to be end of July but was end of October and didn't get keys until November as there was another couple weeks delay with a backlog in DCC to sign off on it.

There is a FB group for Belltree/Parkedge that you can join as well and can be good for asking questions about furniture/flooring/appliances etc- just ask one of the admins as it's a closed group.

Alright so definitely will need to watch out for spelling mistakes on all the documents, good to know! Ha

Cheer irishbigfoot, will defo join the group, might be able to get an idea on measurements as well since the realtor were a a little cagey with those details!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Alexanderis

Hi everyone,

First a big thanks to Volthar and kceire for answering my earlier question regarding insurance.
    We moved in over the bank holiday weekend and two more questions have come up:

1. Can anyone recommend via PM me someone that can install an induction hob? The worktop isn't cut beforehand which is expected since Gannon don't know beforehand what size the hob will be and they will not cut it once the house is done.

2. I've read that all the RJ45s cables in the rooms lead to the small utility room together with the cabling for the alarm system, however the Virgin Media connection is in the living room(B3 house in my case). Are there anything obvious that I am missing or do I need to run a cable form the living room to the utility room in order to benefit from the network cabling already installed?
    Only other alternative I see to this is to get a power-line adaptor and use that instead of running a cable through the walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭irishbigfoot

Hi everyone,

First a big thanks to Volthar and kceire for answering my earlier question regarding insurance.
    We moved in over the bank holiday weekend and two more questions have come up:

1. Can anyone recommend via PM me someone that can install an induction hob? The worktop isn't cut beforehand which is expected since Gannon don't know beforehand what size the hob will be and they will not cut it once the house is done.

2. I've read that all the RJ45s cables in the rooms lead to the small utility room together with the cabling for the alarm system, however the Virgin Media connection is in the living room(B3 house in my case). Are there anything obvious that I am missing or do I need to run a cable form the living room to the utility room in order to benefit from the network cabling already installed?
    Only other alternative I see to this is to get a power-line adaptor and use that instead of running a cable through the walls.

Hi Alexanderis,

Head on over to Facebook and join the Belltree/Parkedge group- private but the admins are usually quick enough to accept.

Induction hobs themselves are easy to fit from what I remember- there is a socket under the counter and from what I recall you just plug it in (not 100% on that or if it needs to be hard wired). There is a carpenter in the FB group who is a resident (Stephen) and can cut out the secton for the hob.

There is also a detailed post in the group on how to finish the wiring for the cables- just do a search for RJ45 and it should come up. Essentially, if you take off the Virgin box there is a wire behind that you can bring out to connect the router to and this wire goes back to the utility room where you will need to install the switch box for all of the other connections.

Essentially, if you take off the Virgin box there is a wire behind that you can bring out to connect the router to and this wire goes back to the utility room where you will need to install the switch box for all of the other connections.

Oh wow....I would have never thought about checking that in a thousand years. They need to add instructions for that somewhere. Thanks for the hit. Now it makes sense a bit more.

Also I've sent the join request to the Facebook page and will check once its accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭ohlordy

Gannons have an info session arranged for next Monday, to update residents on the plans they are making to further develop the site
    https://www.clongriffintown.ie/events/clongriffin-planning/

• Advertisement

Having viewed the plans Gannons will be putting forward I will be making objections to the planning applications, and I will be getting involved with any efforts by locals to object en masse via petition etc.

The plans are basically as follows

Build to rent apartments on 80% of the site
    2 smallish office blocks
    3 part V social housing apartment blocks
    An 8 screen cinema
    A community centre, mens shed, plenty of ground floor commercial spaces on the streets intended as a commercial core

A large chunk of the plans will be going direct to Bord Pleanala for approval.

My objections (thus far) solely relate to the build to rent apartments. I do not believe a viable community can be created if there are to be zero owner-occupiers in a large area of the locale, not in the Irish context of attitudes to apartment dwelling and the lack of security of tenure for tenants. I believe it will lead to a largely transient population, staying for a small number of years each and moving on.

I do not have a figure for the number of overall apartments in the plans, but if there are 372 apartments in the new blocks under construction on Marrsfield Avenue then I dont think it can be less than 1000 and possibly 1500 total units in the plans. Possibly more?
    This number of rented units will dwarf the rest of the existing community.

Housing policy has to include mixed types and tenures. These plans are not a mix.

ohlordy wrote: »
    Having viewed the plans Gannons will be putting forward I will be making objections to the planning applications, and I will be getting involved with any efforts by locals to object en masse via petition etc.

The plans are basically as follows

Build to rent apartments on 80% of the site
    2 smallish office blocks
    3 part V social housing apartment blocks
    An 8 screen cinema
    A community centre, mens shed, plenty of ground floor commercial spaces on the streets intended as a commercial core

A large chunk of the plans will be going direct to Bord Pleanala for approval.

My objections (thus far) solely relate to the build to rent apartments. I do not believe a viable community can be created if there are to be zero owner-occupiers in a large area of the locale, not in the Irish context of attitudes to apartment dwelling and the lack of security of tenure for tenants. I believe it will lead to a largely transient population, staying for a small number of years each and moving on.

I do not have a figure for the number of overall apartments in the plans, but if there are 372 apartments in the new blocks under construction on Marrsfield Avenue then I dont think it can be less than 1000 and possibly 1500 total units in the plans. Possibly more?
    This number of rented units will dwarf the rest of the existing community.

Housing policy has to include mixed types and tenures. These plans are not a mix.

Thanks for updating on what is planned Lordy. Seems a bit bizarre that they would be announcing the building of a cinema without any retail stores around?

Is the plan just to have nothing but apartment blocks between around the area, are there plans for any retail, cafe's, pubs at all?

Regarding build to rent apartments i'm wondering what the potential alternative is? I understand that you can't build houses next to the Dart station anymore due to planning requirements for higher density housing.
    If the apartments are purchased by a management company for all to rent then you would hope that they would be managed by competent company who will maintain the area and the building.

If you have just apartments to buy I would be afraid that a lot would just be bought up by absentee landlords who have no interest in maintaining the building. You could end up in a situation where its still full of renters but no one is actually maintaining the building.

Both situations don't seem ideal to be fair :/, seems like the plan is just to make the place into a giant commuter estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭vmb

ohlordy wrote: »

Clongriffin resident here (house owner)

I do not understand either the idea about building communities in Clongriffin. This is not a small town where you know all your neighbours, Dublin is a european capital city.

Once all these new buildings are built and ocupied, we'll have three different areas:

"Old clongriffin", Beau Park, where there are a mix of home owners and tenants
    Belltree, where home owners are still the biggest group. Some of these new homes will be rented though
    New apartments, built to let

To me, this is not bad. It is far worse that there are not employers yet, so, during the day, Clongriffin activity is very low.

With some employers producing more activity, it could be more than just a commuter town

@Trooper: the plan does include commercial/retail units, concentrated on a pedestrian street running between station square and the end of Park Terrace South.

As i said my objection is not to apartments, it is to 100% build-to-lets. And I agree that an institution is likely to maintain the building well. I agree that if a block was sold in its individual units there is no control over how many are owner-occupied and how many are bought as investments by small-time landlords. But without a doubt some would be owner-occupied if an opportunity to buy was provided.

@vmb: My hopes for a community are not related to knowing everybody. My hope is that the town will prosper and grow and be populated with people who are invested in this being a success. I believe that in order for this to happen a high percentage of residents should be there for the long term, they see it as their home and they also want it to prosper. I am against a high number of build-to-lets as I believe that they will not provide for the numbers of people who will stay long term. Dublin may be a European capital city, but we do not have a tradition/practice of long-term rental tenancies. This may change in the future but I don't think Clongriffin should be a testing ground for this social change.

The attached pic is of the plan as displayed on Monday evening, I have shaded in pink all the blocks intended to be Buy-to-rent. I have also marked what else is in the plan.
    This may not be 100% accurate, I have done it from memory, but I think it's close enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

Clongriffin is rapidly heading downhill. It desperately needs gentrification to help move the pendulum from dump to "barely liveable if you squint your eyes hard enough". Grange Lodge avenue is starting to look like a halting site! There is household waste scattered everywhere on the road and dog poo bags left on the parking dividers. What the hell is wrong with people?! Why do they do this?

Before someone goes snowflake, yes, not everyone but we're vastly outnumbered by the filthy people. I'm getting tired of picking up trash outside my door every day. :mad:

Who is in charge of the area? I want to setup a scheduler to notify whoever needs to be notified to send someone through weekly.

Does anyone have any idea who Lenna/Leana is and why is this person a cracker?

Clongriffin is rapidly heading downhill. It desperately needs gentrification to help move the pendulum from dump to "barely liveable if you squint your eyes hard enough". Grange Lodge avenue is starting to look like a halting site! There is household waste scattered everywhere on the road and dog poo bags left on the parking dividers. What the hell is wrong with people?! Why do they do this?

Before someone goes snowflake, yes, not everyone but we're vastly outnumbered by the filthy people. I'm getting tired of picking up trash outside my door every day. :mad:

Who is in charge of the area? I want to setup a scheduler to notify whoever needs to be notified to send someone through weekly.

Does anyone have any idea who Lenna/Leana is and why is this person a cracker?

We moved in a few months ago and our experience is nowhere near yours. Its been windy the last few weeks and trash might be flying around due to unsecured bins but still, people pick up after themselfs and its very clean and your description is just incorrect.
    Thanks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

We moved in a few months ago and our experience is nowhere near yours. Its been windy the last few weeks and trash might be flying around due to unsecured bins but still, people pick up after themselfs and its very clean and your description is just incorrect.
    Thanks.

Same been living here since last November no issues at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Volthar

I belive Zyron refers to "old" part of Clongriffin that would defo benefit of some TLC. I do not know why this is happening but if I had to guess:
    1. Kids that were born there when it was new are now teenagers and reck the place.
    2. High saturation of people in rented accomodation + landlords who do not care about how the place looks like as long as they can charge top dollar and there are queues of tennants.
    3. Sadly, gangs of teenagers drifting between dart, park, chipper and Donaghmede do not give a flying fook and toss they litter as if this act of rebellion gave them some street cred.

18th March - Fr. Collins Park and nearby area witnessed anti social behaviour at its worst... regular battle between youth gangs, intimidation, vomit, broken glass, cars keyed, house broken into in broad daylight !!!! with owners inside... place turns to a kip. Features that should be key to estate's success (Dart, park) seem to be a magnet for unwanted criminal element and reason for the place's demise.

• Advertisement

Volthar wrote: »
    18th March - Fr. Collins Park and nearby area witnessed anti social behaviour at its worst... regular battle between youth gangs, intimidation, vomit, broken glass, cars keyed, house broken into in broad daylight !!!! with owners inside... place turns to a kip. Features that should be key to estate's success (Dart, park) seem to be a magnet for unwanted criminal element and reason for the place's demise.

A couple of events like this hardly gives grounds to call it a kip, last year a group of teens got off a bus in Portmarnock attacked other teens did criminal damage to a chipper and slashed a teen in the face and robbed him and Portmarnock is hardly considered a kip or in demise since.

Anti-Social behavour is increasing everywhere not just Clongriffin.

Loughc wrote:
    A couple of events like this hardly gives grounds to call it a kip, last year a group of teens got off a bus in Portmarnock attacked other teens did criminal damage to a chipper and slashed a teen in the face and robbed him and Portmarnock is hardly considered a kip or in demise since.

Loughc wrote:

Perhaps calling it a kip is overreaction but it is getting worse. The park is regularily wrecked, toilets closed for years due to vandalism, playground equipment pissed on or set on fire. Sheltered benches are only ever used by youth delinquents, no week without something dodgy happening here. Wait for summer...

Volthar wrote: »
    Perhaps calling it a kip is overreaction but it is getting worse. The park is regularily wrecked, toilets closed for years due to vandalism, playground equipment pissed on or set on fire. Sheltered benches are only ever used by youth delinquents, no week without something dodgy happening here. Wait for summer...

Oh it's absolutely getting worse... but it's not the locals fault, the Parkedge/Belltree neighborhoods are lovely themselves with lovely people living there.

Best thing to do is for us to keep the Garda informed and hopefully they'll sent more resources up to patrol the area, especially in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

Yes and? What's your point?

This type of reasoning is one thing that I have never understood. Who cares that "everywhere else" is seeing an increase in anti-social behaviour. No place should be seeing it and I'm happy to be a selfish prick and not want it to happen in the area that I live.

Last Friday while walking back from the train station a scrote was doing his "fortnite" dances (which is perfectly fine!) and then proceeded to kick the door to the elevator twice (not fine). The <beep> needs a slap upside the head.
    Thanks.

I am becoming more convinced every day that there is something in the water that is preventing people from seeing litter on the ground. The simple act of opening my door means I'll be greeted by some new litter.

Do you take the train? I'm sure you noticed the trash thrown out last week Friday and as a matter of fact, today just outside of Romayo's the bin there had trash lying all around it.

Yes and? What's your point?

My point was to the other's poster comment that Clongriffin is a kip because of one incident over the past weekend. It's not just Clongriffin it's everywhere so it's harsh to target one area and call it a kip when the people living there aren't the ones who are making it a kip and yes I don't want it in my area either, and I've taken action about it too, I've rang the Gardas, e-mailed Councillors helped petition for Garda Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

I hope all of you who feel concerned by the events of the weekend will attend tonight's forum with dcc and the gardai?
    7.30pm at The Junction

I am becoming more convinced every day that there is something in the water that is preventing people from seeing litter on the ground. The simple act of opening my door means I'll be greeted by some new litter.

I am with you. Start noticing it in the "new" part as well. Scrots going past dropping lucozade bottles and chipper bags is not cool but residents attitude is ****e too. I seem to be the only person on the street picking the trash up. Neighbors are giving me strange looks and even my wife says I am mad. People would rather wait for wind to take rubbish away than lower themselves and pickitthefookup... blue bloods I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

It was really localised, though. We are in the older part of Clongriffin, and we didn't have any trouble this weekend. Not even the odd fire alarm going off. My daughter was out with her friends, there wasn't any trouble on the green. It used to be a hanging spot in the early days before the park, but it's now moved to the park

So the lesson from that meeting is if you see anything ring it in. The more calls the better.

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote:
    So the lesson from that meeting is if you see anything ring it in. The more calls the better.

This was a bizarre suggestion by the Garda. If we follow this advise we can easily clog their phone lines and break the system! Potentially putting someone else in harms way.

Advertisement