Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you work hard?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Dawido

Yes I do work hard. I have finished Soft Dev bachelor degree with First Class Honours. I feel like I am getting scammed though, I am earning 32k before tax after 1 year review i only got 2% increase. I cant afford a mortgage with this due to house prices. great country :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Nope. I do what is required of me but no more after that. Took me a while to realise i was the only one breaking my boll#cks.

The handbrake was applied fairly swiftly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Dawido wrote: »
    Yes I do work hard. I have finished Soft Dev bachelor degree with First Class Honours. I feel like I am getting scammed though, I am earning 32k before tax after 1 year review i only got 2% increase. I cant afford a mortgage with this due to house prices. great country :)

32k is a decent graduate salary.
    2% rise year 1 seems normal.

After 2 years. What is the plan?

Hard work in the first 5 years sets you for the next 20.
    In construction it was always to get my own site. Once at that level the money accelerates quickly. In a position to leave if not.

You gonna be running smaller projects after 2 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

You can use your computer to book a flight to a country that will reward you better. You are either receiving the going rate for the job or not. If not you can go elsewhere. If yes suck it up or change careers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Wrong, you can't afford a mortgage in dublin, I know people on what you're making got a mortgage, your job is in demand but you dont earn enough, I earn roughly what you earn and I've a house and a site bought in last 12 years. Dont blame your circumstances on anything but yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Psychlops

I work in retail & they try to squeeze everything out of you so no I try to do as little as possible, never ever going to sweat for those pr1cks especially when they can cut your roster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I'm very grateful for my job reading some of the posts here, it's in a multinational, I'm just another number, but the work is handy and they pay is good. I have time to upskill and try increase my incomings through external means

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Working Hard or Hardly Working?

Am I right???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

If you are able to remember what mark you got in n your degree than you must be quite young. Or early in your career. Most people only buying houses in the thirties. Just because you can't buy a house directly after you qualify doesn't mean the country is a failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭Grueller

I could if I wanted to

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I dunno.. Its hard to work hard in a call centre. Talking **** on phones all day.

When i worked in customer service i really worked hard. Manually and in other ways. Like dragging boxes for delivery around the place.. 24 packs of cans etc. Enjoyed it though.. Running about the place.

So boring sitting at a desk all day in a call centre but the 9 to 5 hours and every bank holiday and weekend off just gets me!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I spend hours looking out the window watching the world go by and admiring how nature changes, followed by moments of high energy entertainment.

Wesser wrote: »
    If you are able to remember what mark you got in n your degree than you must be quite young. Or early in your career. Most people only buying houses in the thirties. Just because you can't buy a house directly after you qualify doesn't mean the country is a failure.

Who doesn’t remember the mark they got in their degree regardless of how long ago it was? Even if you forgot it (which I can’t see how you would) it’s going to be at the top of your cv.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I do my job as well as possible, i expect anyone who works for me to do the job they are being paid for, nothing more nothing less.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Where I am they work the bollocks off you (manual labor job)
    I took the job as I needed money and here we are a year later and I still haven't got out of it. Thought I would be long gone.

Wanna know something? You're a fecking idiot if you're a hard worker. Smart man gets an easy job.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Who doesn’t remember the mark they got in their degree regardless of how long ago it was? Even if you forgot it (which I can’t see how you would) it’s going to be at the top of your cv.

Experience is far more valued than exam results

Experience is far more valued than exam results

Experience is very important but without the necessary qualifications you have zero chance of even being considered for the vast majority of jobs nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,575 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Experience is very important but without the necessary qualifications you have zero chance of even being considered for the vast majority of jobs nowadays.

Not really.

Qualifications typically mean you passed exams.

Experience demonstrates your ability to do a particular job. Qualifications don't.

I could have left my qualifications off my CV the last time I went for a job and it would have made no difference to me getting the job.

That said, maybe it's valid early in your career when there isn't much experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Is 650 a week considered low pay?

Yes, it's below the average wage.

Not really.

Qualifications typically mean you passed exams.

Experience demonstrates your ability to do a particular job. Qualifications don't.

I could have left my qualifications off my CV the last time I went for a job and it would have made no difference to me getting the job.

That said, maybe it's valid early in your career when there isn't much experience.

All the experience in the world won’t get your cv looked at in many fields unless you have the required qualifications. A PhD is mandatory in my area of work for example, without it you simply will not be considered for jobs.

I would say you are in a very small minority if you can leave your qualifications of your cv as this is not the case for the vast majority of people no matter what stage of their career, certainly not in skilled technical fields anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Fifty grades of shay.

I have a routine day most days, don't ever kill myself and frequently during winter do fcuk all.
    The summer is busier and would put in some long days but just routine stuff, would hardly break a sweat if the sun isn't out. 7 day week though.
    I'm a farmer, :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,575 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

All the experience in the world won’t get your cv looked at in many fields unless you have the required qualifications. A PhD is mandatory in my area of work for example, without it you simply will not be considered for jobs.

I would say you are in a very small minority if you can leave your qualifications of your cv as this is not the case for the vast majority of people no matter what stage of their career, certainly not in skilled technical fields anyway.

Maybe Im just looking through a different prism. Considering more senior positions I've seen filled recently and all of those had 10+ years experience and I would confidently say all of those got their jobs on the basis of their experience.

But maybe they're just different areas

• Registered Users Posts: 2 steve_irl

the perception of working hard is more important than doing the actual work in a lot of cases

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

People hire from what they know, and it's close minded. What you are describing there is almost cartel like. I seen it in my own profession when I was a solicitor and then an accountant. People from Trinity hiring people from Trinity, people from UCD hiring UCD, and Chartered Accountants only hiring Chartered Accountants, maybe an odd ACCA, a rare CIMA, but never ever a CPA. They'd put their own balls in a blender before they'd hire a CPA or any other Mickey Mouse "accountancy qualification".

If you had a PhD I'd look at you but it would likely put me off you, unless I was in a public sector cartel. Those with PhD's and no experience are professional students. I'd like to see a degree, some experience and career advancement, and then the PhD if you wanted it. Certainly not a straight through degree to PhD, and certainly not someone who was unable to advance their career so went back to do a PhD.

I've worked as a manager for a couple of years now so I understand the reasons for a person not working hard. Its usually something along the lines of

Poor Morale in the company
    Bad Management
    Lack of Opportunities for progression
    Boring job
    Bullying / Harassment
    Salary / benefits
    All of the above

Companies need to work harder to keep staff motivated. From my experience, people will be motivated if they get paid a decent wage, have opportunities to grow, a manager that inspires them and good morale around them.

myshirt wrote: »

If you had a PhD I'd look at you but it would likely put me off you, unless I was in a public sector cartel. Those with PhD's and no experience are professional students. I'd like to see a degree, some experience and career advancement, and then the PhD if you wanted it. Certainly not a straight through degree to PhD, and certainly not someone who was unable to advance their career so went back to do a PhD.

It’s nothing to do with hiring people from one university etc as you described above it’s a simple fact that in order to have the skills and required experience in the field a PhD is necessary as you won’t be qualified to do the job without it.

Also the time doing a PhD is considered work experience as doing a PhD (in science/engineering) is basically working as a research scientist/engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I work hard on and off, sometimes really busy, after a few tough weeks we are at a quiet period, but I use my time wisely , just fixing some bugs with some stuff and doing some self training, there is really really good courses on EDX and similar platforms.

So even when I'm not so busy, I try and keep active at least, try and minimise the pouncing about on the net.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

steve_irl wrote: »
    the perception of working hard is more important than doing the actual work in a lot of cases

Working smart is the new thing, rather than working hard. That's why I run the gas off the electricity, and the electricity off the gas. Also, your ability to get work done through others is key. One of the top guys in my place has little to no qualifications, no professional background in what we do, no technical knowledge or know how, but what he does have is an excellent ability to get work done through others, he has decisiveness, and excellent people skills.

There's a difference between doing the work, and managing the people who do the work, or managing the managers of the people who do the work. Those people who are working hard may actually just be pissing against the wind. You have to work productively if you want to advance. Not work hard and whinge that "it's not fair that I do all the work while she just lays there". Put your back into it and just get on with it lads.

Advertisement