Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bands who tried to copy U2

Options
  • 15-03-2019 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering if you know any bands/artists who tried to copy U2's sound, not sure if this band did knowingly but this song sounds very U2-like.to me anyways!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

Why would you copy that shower?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Coldplay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I'm just wondering if you know any bands/artists who tried to copy U2's sound, not sure if this band did knowingly but this song sounds very U2-like.to me anyways!

Sounds more like Simple Minds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Talking of Simple Minds. Simple Minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Rattle and Hum

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Slipknot, The Beatles and Mozart would be the 3 biggest imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Taking of Simple Minds. Simple Minds.

What have Simple Minds and Pinochet got in common?
    They both committed atrocities in stadiums.

Aslan.

Yer man Christy Digman even started wearing a leather waistcoat and a stetson... Pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

One U2 is bad enough..

Actually once i think of it, U2's sound isnt that original at all, they ripped alot of their sound from Echo and the Bunneymen and just brought it to stadium level by imitating bands like Aerosmith

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭buried

U2 copied this bigtime. Listen

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Why would you copy that shower?

Because they're one of the biggest rock bands in the world?

Early U2 is quite good, later material not so much.

Achtung Baby is good album in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

The Killers and Coldplay are very open about how heavily U2 and their usual production team of Steve Lillywhite, Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois influenced their sounds. I never like to talk of "copying" when it comes to styles and sounds though, the music industry is getting too f*cked up around what constitutes "plagiarism" these days (The whole Robin Thicke v Marvin Gaye thing was utterly moronic to take one example) - someone creates an interesting sound, someone else embellishes it and creates a new one. Coldplay are U2 with an added element of lush and orchestral beats and arrangements, while The Killers are U2 but with far more prominent and deliberately "dancey" keyboard sounds.

The 'Achtung Baby' LP is cool because it has all these 'Break' elements that were being utilised in mid late- 80's hip hop tracks from America that weren't really popular at the time over here. All the tracks on that LP have them, 'The Fly' 'Mysterious Ways' 'Even better than the real thing' the most obvious. Even 'Whos gonna ride your wild horses' has it. I don't know if that was Eno's doing but somebody definitely knew what they were doing. Made the LP really stand out for previous U2 fans and chart buying public in general over here that weren't used to the sample based break usage of hip hop music going on in the US. It really is a cool LP. Well worth another dip even today IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Azatadine

There were a few Irish bands around when U2 first started to make it big like:

Light a Big Fire
    Cactus World News

Bands like those really tried to copy the U2 sound I think.

buried wrote: »
    The 'Achtung Baby' LP is cool because it has all these 'Break' elements that were being utilised in mid late- 80's hip hop tracks from America that weren't really popular at the time over here. All the tracks on that LP have them, 'The Fly' 'Mysterious Ways' 'Even better than the real thing' the most obvious. Even 'Whos gonna ride your wild horses' has it. I don't know if that was Eno's doing but somebody definitely knew what they were doing. Made the LP really stand out for previous U2 fans and chart buying public in general over here that weren't used to the sample based break usage of hip hop music going on in the US. It really is a cool LP. Well worth another dip even today IMO

pretty accurate run-down there. they owe a lot to whomever influenced those elements. still holds up today.

have barely had more than a couple of good songs since then, never-mind anything approaching a good album.

Dining out on Acthtung Baby since 1990 - nearly 30 years!

glasso wrote: »
    pretty accurate run-down there. they owe a lot to whomever influenced those elements. still holds up today.

have barely had more than a couple of good songs since then, never-mind anything approaching a good album.

Dining out on Acthtung Baby since 1990 - nearly 30 years!

Yeah G, I'd love to get me hands on some sort of book that documents what was going on the making of that LP. It's cool stuff. Got me into ambient music like Eno back in the mid-90's once I saw he worked on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,236 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

The Joshua Trio :pac:
    Worst band ever

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Achtung Baby is good album in fairness

It's a brilliant album, by far their best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Yeah G, I'd love to get me hands on some sort of book that documents what was going on the making of that LP. It's cool stuff. Got me into ambient music like Eno back in the mid-90's once I saw he worked on it

The Super Deluxe edition of Achtung Baby (6CDs+4DVDs) is a great package. Decent book, photos, most of the remixes, the fascinating demos, B-sides, Zooropa, documentary, Sydney show, the Zoo TV footage etc.

cocky Bono stuff right here back then on the Zoo Tour.

Best U2 Tour.

https://youtu.be/Ry42AY3efqw?t=170

Or did U2 copy simple minds? I dont know which one started the big jangly guitar sound with overkill of delay/reverb and breathy masculine vocals first

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Anyone remember that awful shower known as “Then Jericho” , think they were trying to copy the U2 sound as well, although they were probably more akin trying to rip off “ Big Country” too......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Keane tried it (badly) with "is it any wonder".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVe_KVzBFOo

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Azatadine wrote: »
    There were a few Irish bands around when U2 first started to make it big like:

Light a Big Fire
    Cactus World News

Bands like those really tried to copy the U2 sound I think.

The media might have been hailing them as the next u2 at the time but that's not the same as copying u2. Mr Twilight and CIA don't really sound u2ish.
    Besides that, U2 had some decent songs back then. Not like the crap from the Joshua Tree onwards

• Registered Users Posts: 33 buser2x

not so much copying, but when I first listened to "the Alarm" I thought Mike Peters had a bono-ish voice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

If anyone has heard Bono’s son new song - that’s a U2 copy

Advertisement