Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great storage containers (600ml) for frozen food - IKEA 3 for a euro!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

They look good and they're certainly cheap but I don't like the pouring spout, means the portions will lose moisture as they're cooling down to room temperature i.e. before you can put them in the freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭worded

coylemj wrote: »
    They look good and they're certainly cheap but I don't like the pouring spout, means the portions will lose moisture as they're cooling down to room temperature i.e. before you can put them in the freezer.

They are air tight

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

coylemj wrote: »
    They look good and they're certainly cheap but I don't like the pouring spout,
    I think that feature is for a finger to get under the lid for easier removal.

I buy some foods based on their containers, i.e. I might pay over the odds for some brand as I know I will get use of the container. Sometimes it would be cheaper to buy food and dump it as to buy the equivalent container would cost more.

Some of the refrigerated soups have really sturdy containers and are microwaveable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I was upset last time I was in Ikea that they didn't have the oval ones with the blue lids that I usually buy, but I bought these yellow lidded ones and they're great. I've given up buying expensive tubs becauseI never get them back unless they're cluttering up the daughters' cupboards :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I have the ones with the green lids from Ikea (same line as above) and I find that they become very fragile in the freezer, just FYI. A number of mine have broken at the corners so they're no longer usable after coming out of the freezer. For the price, it's fine, but just something to be aware of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dealz do these 8 for 1.50
    https://www.dealz.ie/home-and-pet/kitchen/food-wrap-and-storage/microwave-containers-8-pack-1

they are like ones from a chinese takeaway, I am not sure of the volume, chinese ones tend to be 450 & 650ml. I got other round ones in dealz which were about 650ml and looked very flimsy but have held up to a fair few uses, I do consider them disposable though.

Dealz also do the foil long trays you get in a chinese, 10 for 1.50. These are very handy as they can be put in an oven with the lid off, I use mine in the airfryer. If stuff is not baked off you can rinse them and get another use or 2 from them. Handy if people are not giving them back!

https://www.dealz.ie/home-and-pet/kitchen/food-wrap-and-storage/foil-containers-with-lids-10-pack-2

• Registered Users Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

rubadub wrote: »
    Dealz also do the foil long trays you get in a chinese, 10 for 1.50. These are very handy as they can be put in an oven with the lid off....

+1 I leave the lid on but open out the four corners of the foil container to vent the steam, stops the food from drying out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I was upset last time I was in Ikea that they didn't have the oval ones with the blue lids that I usually buy, but I bought these yellow lidded ones and they're great. I've given up buying expensive tubs becauseI never get them back unless they're cluttering up the daughters' cupboards

They don't stock these anymore. I wasn't too happy one of the last times I was in looking for them. But we got some of the clear tubs with the clicky lids and I'm actually loving them. They stack better and hold an awful lot more than you would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭worded

I avoid cooking or baking in tin or aluminium as it’s long suspected to linked to Alzymers.
    FYI - Irish Alzymers is when you only remember the grudges :-)

I also avoid microwaving in plastic. Store in plastic yes but reheating to high temps, no thanks. Just because the product is capable of being microwaved doesn’t mean you should.

The top product for cooking, freezing and storage and even using the lid as a place mat is Pyrex glass small containers with plastic lids. I habe some for 10 + years. Excellent value

I habe a friend who knows people who own a plastics factory. They won’t have any plastic storage containers in the house ! They know a lot of plastic at heat leak unknowns into food.

I’ve read that alu leaks into food particularly where acidy foods or spices are used.

Pls google for sources I’m on a smart phone

Thanks

Advertisement