Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leaving Cert - Should I change some of my levels ?

Options
  • 15-03-2019 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello everyone. The Leaving Cert. is in less than 3 months and I' thinking about changing some of my levels (more specifically Accounting).

My Mock Results:
    Higher - Maths - 46%
    Higher - German - 53%
    Higher - History - 67%
    Higher - Biology - 65%
    Higher - Accounting - 40%
    Higher - Romanian - 97%
    Ordinary - English - didn't get my result yet

What do you think? Should I change Accounting to Ordinary and focus more on the rest of the subjects? I'm aiming to about 430 points and H4 in Maths (required by the course). Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Do you know where you went wrong?
    Take Biology, did you answer the right number of questions? Did you get questions 'wrong'?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Tollymon

I'm doing fairly good in Biology. I know that some of the experiments and short questions messed my whole exam up. In contrast, Accounting is kind of like gambling for me and I cannot risk that. The topics get unnecessarily complicated and I believe that a change of level would benefit me. Thank you anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you know where you went wrong you can do something about it. If Accounting is like gambling then of course switch levels if you do not need it for any course/career you are considering.

Is the History exam result including your Research Project?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Tollymon

No, the History exam result didn't include my RSR. Anyway, I will just probably change Accounting and make my life much more easier. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Deep_learning

Higher - Maths - 46% = H6
    Higher - German - 53% = H5
    Higher - History - 67% = H4
    Higher - Biology - 65% = H4
    Higher - Accounting - 40% = H6
    Higher - Romanian - 97% = H1

You are at 403 points. Stick with HL Accounting and put a huge effort into maths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Seanf999

Higher - Maths - 46% = H6
    Higher - German - 53% = H5
    Higher - History - 67% = H4
    Higher - Biology - 65% = H4
    Higher - Accounting - 40% = H6
    Higher - Romanian - 97% = H1

You are at 403 points. Stick with HL Accounting and put a huge effort into maths.

The extra points for higher level make a huge difference especially if you're already passing, it shouldn't take too much to pass it in the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭adamob544

Keep the HL! If you got <35% drop, but it's all about the points! The points for OL is embarrassing, keep HL where possible.

• Site Banned Posts: 16 AlPorter

If you drop to only 5 HL subjects, you can kiss goodbye to 400+ points.

With accounting you need only practice the accounts, look at all the different ones which could come up and try to plan to learn the ones which are more or less guaranteed. It's simply learning to do it. You do the account maybe 10-15 times and you should get 100% on it every time. I know it's a bit of time, but with that you should at least boost yourself up to a H4/H5 in accounting and it'll go a long way in getting your points.

HL maths requires a lot of effort too. You said you need a H4 and that's competitive. If you get the H4 that'll be really good for boosting your points (with the extra 25 HL bonus).

Make sure to look over your mocks results and learn from every mistake you've made, otherwise it was a pointless exercise. Accounting and German should be really easy to improve and get it up to at least 60% with just a few practice questions in the right areas. Remember that on every paper, there are the small questions which come up every year. You should aim to do mostly all of the past exam paper questions dating back the last 10 years in all of your subjects.

Advertisement