Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Claregalway or Moycullen

• 10-03-2019 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi all,

Just wondering from any helpful people on here would they be able to give some advice on the following.

My husband and I are planning on building a house. I’m from Moycullen and he’s from Claregalway. We have a site courtesy of our families in each (lucky us). Both sites are about 1 mile off the main road (N59 & N17), both are a little bit the city side of each village and both would be pretty straight forward regarding planning permission.

I suppose what I’m wondering is what other factors should we be considering? What would be considered a more desireable location? Just trying to do up a pros and cons list of both so we can make the most educated decision possible.

We both work shift work so traffic would be a factor at times but not every day.

We have a 1 year old and I know there are plenty of schools in Moycullen along with plenty of transport for secondary schools in town.

Comments

Moycullen is the nicer village by a mile

Moycullen is going to be bypassed, Claregalway is going to continue to have 15,000 vehicles a day going through it for many, many years to come

Both will result in a soul destroying commute if either of you ever move to 9-5

Claregalway has the better public transport options

Claregalway has a brand new secondary school and an educate together national school

And so on and so on.

What I suggest is you and your family make a list of everything you want, need and desire for your home location. Be sure to decide which is a want, a need and a desire.

Needs - no compromise, its a must have
    Wants - pretty important but some leeway
    Desires - nice to haves

After that do the positives and negatives of both locations

Then just cross reference your first list with the second and you'll easily find a winner

Just be sure to leave emotion at the door and make a solid, logical and reasoned decision for you and your family.

Lastly, watch out for what you think you will be OK with sacrificing. An example is I bought a monstrosity of a mac mansion a number of years ago, middle of nowhere but I decided I was willing to put up with a nearly 50 min commute, each way, on back roads and crappy regional roads. In the end it was eating at me daily and on more than one occasion I was lucky to narrowly avoid catastrophic collisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 sineadoc88

Moycullen is the nicer village by a mile

Moycullen is going to be bypassed, Claregalway is going to continue to have 15,000 vehicles a day going through it for many, many years to come

Both will result in a soul destroying commute if either of you ever move to 9-5

Claregalway has the better public transport options

Claregalway has a brand new secondary school and an educate together national school

And so on and so on.

What I suggest is you and your family make a list of everything you want, need and desire for your home location. Be sure to decide which is a want, a need and a desire.

Needs - no compromise, its a must have
    Wants - pretty important but some leeway
    Desires - nice to haves

After that do the positives and negatives of both locations

Then just cross reference your first list with the second and you'll easily find a winner

Just be sure to leave emotion at the door and make a solid, logical and reasoned decision for you and your family.

Lastly, watch out for what you think you will be OK with sacrificing. An example is I bought a monstrosity of a mac mansion a number of years ago, middle of nowhere but I decided I was willing to put up with a nearly 50 min commute, each way, on back roads and crappy regional roads. In the end it was eating at me daily and on more than one occasion I was lucky to narrowly avoid catastrophic collisions.

Thank you for the response, really appreciate it.

Is Moycullen really going to be bypassed?

We were speaking like the city would be bypassed and therefore take traffic away from Claregalway as Tuam and north Galway traffic would use this and the new Gort to Tuam Road.

I think unless you’re living in salthill or town you’re going to have a soul destroying commute.

sineadoc88 wrote: »
    Thank you for the response, really appreciate it.

Is Moycullen really going to be bypassed?

We were speaking like the city would be bypassed and therefore take traffic away from Claregalway as Tuam and north Galway traffic would use this and the new Gort to Tuam Road.

I think unless you’re living in salthill or town you’re going to have a soul destroying commute.

Yes, the Moycullen bypass will begin construction some time this year / early next year

https://connachttribune.ie/construction-work-to-start-next-year-on-moycullen-bypass-455/

Map of the route is here https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.galway.ie/en/media/Maigh%2520Cuilinn%2520Local%2520Area%2520Plan%25202013-2019%2520Maps.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwitqYuyxfzgAhUkWRUIHWGyDmoQFjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw0GOtfESU7WgFfCWhC8lIpu

The city ring road is probably not going to be open this side of 2030, just keep that in mind.

As for it taking the traffic away from Claregalway, time will tell of course, but the M17 was supposed to do that yet Claregalway is still strangled with traffic. The fact that there will a junction on the N83 Tuam road means north Galway traffic doesn't have to take the M17 motorway to access the ring road either.

Another map for you here http://www.n6galwaycity.ie/phase-3/design-update-current-design-01062018/

There were plans drawn up originally for Claregalway to be bypassed but they were shelved while waiting for the M17/M18 and to see the effect it would have. The same is now true of the city ring road. Realistically, you could be looking at 2035-2040 before they even start drawing up new plans to bypass Claregalway.

As for when it might be built...... Who knows. Moycullen has been waiting 3 decades for its bypass and even though it was greenlit in 2012 it still took another 6 years for there to be actual funding available

As for the commute, keep in mind that there will be a greenway connecting Moycullen to Galway within the next few years so if you are so inclined, you could have a leisurely cycle along the river all the way into Galway. It's the main reason I'm seriously considering Moycullen myself

• Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Where do ye work, or might you work in future?

Live on the same side of the river as you work. Everything else is secondary.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭holly8

there is a Traffic Calming Scheme in the pipeline for Claregalway which to my mind will snare the traffic even more - as by its very essence, it will (and rightly so) prioritise villagers/pedestrians/cyclists over traffic passing through the village ... the commute on the N59 into town is a joy compared to that of the N17

• Advertisement

holly8 wrote: »
    there is a Traffic Calming Scheme in the pipeline for Claregalway which to my mind will snare the traffic even more - as by its very essence, it will (and rightly so) prioritise villagers/pedestrians/cyclists over traffic passing through the village ... the commute on the N59 into town is a joy compared to that of the N17

Is it really that bad from Claregalway to Galway city centre?

Ive experienced it twice from Moycullen at 8am and it took an hour. It couldn’t be worse than that.

How much should we take into account where each of our parents are regarding minding children etc? His parents live about 2 minutes away from the site in Claregalway while mine are about 10 away and also not in the same position to mind them. Both of my parents work while his mother doesn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Ive experienced it twice from Moycullen at 8am and it took an hour. It couldn’t be worse than that.

How much should we take into account where each of our parents are regarding minding children etc? His parents live about 2 minutes away from the site in Claregalway while mine are about 10 away and also not in the same position to mind them. Both of my parents work while his mother doesn’t.

Claregalway it is in my opinion. Your kids could go to school in galway if you wanted or just claregalway. Moycullen is a nicer town thpugj but if your in the country that isnt too important

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Don’t build your house based on grandparents minding your kids. That situation can change very fast. Grandparents might be affected by ill health, kids won’t be small forever. Do you get on really well with in laws? Mine are lovely but I didn’t want to live beside them.
    On a personal level I’d love moycullen. Proximity to Galway and Connemara and Lough Corrib. In reality I live in east Galway which is easier for accessing the rest of the country if you know what I mean. You are lucky to have the choice though.
    Also can you build the type of house you want in both sites?

Don’t build your house based on grandparents minding your kids. That situation can change very fast. Grandparents might be affected by ill health, kids won’t be small forever. Do you get on really well with in laws? Mine are lovely but I didn’t want to live beside them.
    On a personal level I’d love moycullen. Proximity to Galway and Connemara and Lough Corrib. In reality I live in east Galway which is easier for accessing the rest of the country if you know what I mean. You are lucky to have the choice though.
    Also can you build the type of house you want in both sites?

We wouldn’t base our decision entirely on grandparents but when kids are small it certainly would be a big help.

Having the option is great and we’re very very lucky but at the same time we’d be just as happy having only one of the sites. The option just means we have a decision to make and we’re trying to weigh everything up. Neither of us have lived in either place in our adult working life so we were hoping people with families living in either area would be able to give us some of their pros and cons to both.

Thanks again everyone for the responses and replies

Claregalway it is in my opinion. Your kids could go to school in galway if you wanted or just claregalway. Moycullen is a nicer town thpugj but if your in the country that isnt too important

Yeah being in on a country road outside of the town means it’s not overly important. But it is nice to have nice surroundings, I prefer Moycullen, but I’m probably biased as I grew up in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭mikeoc85

I lived in claregalway and oranmore growing up. No question that the west side of the city is prettier. The east side of the city is mainly factories and a lot of social housing estates.

Properties are generally higher valued west of the corrib because of this.

If you are thinking further down the line, schools, sports teams/after school activities then also there is a better chance your child won’t fall in with the ‘wrong crowd’. In understand that is a massively generalisation and there is also that element on the west of the city but it’s not as prevalent as the east side.

I’m in no way trying to be disrespectful to anyone on here and was just giving my honest opinion on what I thought the poster was asking in regards to pros/cons. I myself have this issue when looking for a property in Dublin.

mikeoc85 wrote: »
    I lived in claregalway and oranmore growing up. No question that the west side of the city is prettier. The east side of the city is mainly factories and a lot of social housing estates.

Properties are generally higher valued west of the corrib because of this.

If you are thinking further down the line, schools, sports teams/after school activities then also there is a better chance your child won’t fall in with the ‘wrong crowd’. In understand that is a massively generalisation and there is also that element on the west of the city but it’s not as prevalent as the east side.

I’m in no way trying to be disrespectful to anyone on here and was just giving my honest opinion on what I thought the poster was asking in regards to pros/cons. I myself have this issue when looking for a property in Dublin.

Where are the social housing estates in Claregalway?

Where are the social housing estates in Claregalway?

Not claregalway. I should have been more specific, I said east side of the city. Pretty much any access point from the east is a bit of an eye sore. Ballybane, Castle Park, Mervue, Doughiska, Ballinfoyle. Old Dublin road with Merlin Bar and the old Great Southern etc is quite dreary. Not to mention all the factories and industrial estates. If the OP is working in the city then this will be their commute and surroundings every day. And if it’s the city side of Claregalway that they’re planning on living then they’ll probably see this more than Claregalway or Moycullen village. Whenever I drive back to Galway I remember how stark the contrast is between the east and west side.

I know the west side of the city has some also but not nearly to the same degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭holly8

Yes, it's really that bad ... the commute from Moycullen can be ok depending on timing - 8am departure from Moycullen is the worst time possible - try it at 9:15, 9:30 and you are in the city in 15 mins.

The tailbacks from the Claregalway side into the city can still be there at 10am.

On the negative side, the public transport service on the Moycullen side is poor, Claregalway is much better in that regard.

Good luck with your decision!

holly8 wrote: »
    Yes, it's really that bad ... the commute from Moycullen can be ok depending on timing - 8am departure from Moycullen is the worst time possible - try it at 9:15, 9:30 and you are in the city in 15 mins.

The tailbacks from the Claregalway side into the city can still be there at 10am.

On the negative side, the public transport service on the Moycullen side is poor, Claregalway is much better in that regard.

Good luck with your decision!

Thanks for this. We’re currently living in Dublin and the public transport is a dream compared to Galway. But we’re paying silly money here and both want to leave now we’ve a family.

Unless there’s a light rail etc planned for Claregalway then it wouldn’t be much of a factor and both sites are quite a bit from the villages too.

I never raealised traffic in Claregalway was so chaotic.

Not claregalway. I should have been more specific, I said east side of the city. Pretty much any access point from the east is a bit of an eye sore. Ballybane, Castle Park, Mervue, Doughiska, Ballinfoyle. Old Dublin road with Merlin Bar and the old Great Southern etc is quite dreary. Not to mention all the factories and industrial estates. If the OP is working in the city then this will be their commute and surroundings every day. And if it’s the city side of Claregalway that they’re planning on living then they’ll probably see this more than Claregalway or Moycullen village.

I know the west side of the city has some also but not nearly to the same degree.

Thanks for this and I appreciate the input. The drive in wouldn’t affect me that much, I’m more concerned with traffic etc than the beauty of the countryside on my drive.

I also was under the impression that house prices were similar on the east side as the west side of the city in a like for like house. I definitely wasn’t aware of Claregalwag being less desireable.

I also was under the impression that house prices were similar on the east side as the west side of the city in a like for like house. I definitely wasn’t aware of Claregalwag being less desireable.

Properties west of the corrib are a lot more desireable for reasons mentioned in this thread, and therefore generally more expensive also. Moycullen is a more desirable location compared to villages of similar distance from city centre like Claregalway, Carnmore and even Oranmore.

Take a drive in from both sites the next time you’re back in Galway, and really take in the surroundings. You’ll be amazed by the the difference once you cross the Corrib. It’s like two different cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Great position to be in OP.
    As some have mentioned, what part of the city are you both planning to work?

This would impact on time in traffic. The fact that you are the city side of both CG and Molcullen is a major bonus traffic wise, however if you end up working the East side of the river CG is a major advantage.
    CG has two primary schools, one of which will be brand new, one of which is undergoing a major extension. CG has a almost brand new secondary school which is undergoing major expansion at the moment. There's Rugby, Hurling, Football, Soccer, athletics, judo, scouts, foroige,golf and plenty music options in the village.
    The motorway has made a major difference to traffic volumes outside of rush hours and at weekends. Theres plenty safe walking paths in and around the village, a couple of shops, bars, hotel with gym and pool and plenty other positives.
    Its also close to oranmore where there are plenty shops/bars/restaurants etc.
    Big positive is its very accessible from two of the major motorways in the country which makes journeys elsewhere much quicker than if you were foonf from Moycullen.

Some of these things may not be relevant to you but to be honest for me, it's a much more convenient place to live rather than Moycullen. The traffic issues are far far overplayed IF you live in or around the village.

People have that bit of a gra for the Connemara side of the city but from a practical and services standpoint CG, oranmore are much better places to live. Don't get me wrong, there are some variables that would change this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Consider whether you will have access to fibre broadband. No point building in a place that could be waiting years to be connected.

If the greenway is going to connect Moycullen to the city that is a massive plus. You could cycle into work plus have a great amenity for kids to walk and cycle.

The downside is getting across the country to Dublin or south to Shannon airport. Traffic will be an issue.

Don't take planning for granted either. It might be worth getting initial checks done to see which site is more viable.

kippy wrote: »
    Great position to be in OP.
    As some have mentioned, what part of the city are you both planning to work?

This would impact on time in traffic. The fact that you are the city side of both CG and Molcullen is a major bonus traffic wise, however if you end up working the East side of the river CG is a major advantage.
    CG has two primary schools, one of which will be brand new, one of which is undergoing a major extension. CG has a almost brand new secondary school which is undergoing major expansion at the moment. There's Rugby, Hurling, Football, Soccer, athletics, judo, scouts, foroige,golf and plenty music options in the village.
    The motorway has made a major difference to traffic volumes outside of rush hours and at weekends. Theres plenty safe walking paths in and around the village, a couple of shops, bars, hotel with gym and pool and plenty other positives.
    Its also close to oranmore where there are plenty shops/bars/restaurants etc.
    Big positive is its very accessible from two of the major motorways in the country which makes journeys elsewhere much quicker than if you were foonf from Moycullen.

Some of these things may not be relevant to you but to be honest for me, it's a much more convenient place to live rather than Moycullen. The traffic issues are far far overplayed IF you live in or around the village.

People have that bit of a gra for the Connemara side of the city but from a practical and services standpoint CG, oranmore are much better places to live. Don't get me wrong, there are some variables that would change this.

We would both be working in the city center.

Definitely the positives of ClareGalway are the accessibility to the rest of the country.

We both love Galway City and a lot of our friends live in Salthill and the Claddagh so a lot of our socialising will be done there, we actually considered buying there but the Galway market is nearly as overpriced as Dublin. We eventually decided that we could build our dream home and have two extra bedrooms for the price of a two bed apartment in the city.

• Advertisement

Consider whether you will have access to fibre broadband. No point building in a place that could be waiting years to be connected.

If the greenway is going to connect Moycullen to the city that is a massive plus. You could cycle into work plus have a great amenity for kids to walk and cycle.

The downside is getting across the country to Dublin or south to Shannon airport. Traffic will be an issue.

Don't take planning for granted either. It might be worth getting initial checks done to see which site is more viable.

I'm actually not aware of the fibre broadband, but this is a great bit of advice and something we never even thought about. Is there any way to check?

Regards the greenway, although it'll be lovely, I'm not sure if cycling to work will be viable with the weather Galway gets hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I'm actually not aware of the fibre broadband, but this is a great bit of advice and something we never even thought about. Is there any way to check?

Regards the greenway, although it'll be lovely, I'm not sure if cycling to work will be viable with the weather Galway gets hehe

Even if fibre broadband is close to you you may have issues with a new build especially if it is in off a road any distance. It is something to consider especially if working from home.

Don't write off cycling to work. It is the present and future of commuting. Electric bikes and scooters are becoming a big thing and with a bit of wet gear you could have a very handy and healthy commute plus the possibility of the house needing just the 1 car.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Moycullen to NUIG at 8:30am is 15 minutes. The traffic situation on N59 is better than N17.

As for the Moycullen bypass and greenway, I will believe it when I see it.

Not claregalway. I should have been more specific, I said east side of the city. Pretty much any access point from the east is a bit of an eye sore. Ballybane, Castle Park, Mervue, Doughiska, Ballinfoyle. Old Dublin road with Merlin Bar and the old Great Southern etc is quite dreary. Not to mention all the factories and industrial estates.

Renmore, Rosshill, Roscam, Wellpark ... not at all dreary. Most of Doughiska is not social housing, even the bits that are, are mixed. Excellent community with lots of facilities. Far better access to supermarkets, hospitals, brand new schools ... and lots of jobs.

Renmore, Rosshill, Roscam, Wellpark ... not at all dreary. Most of Doughiska is not social housing, even the bits that are, are mixed. Excellent community with lots of facilities. Far better access to supermarkets, hospitals, brand new schools ... and lots of jobs.

Possibly but Doughiska is still a bit of an eye sore. The closed down lodge, the industrial estate with the NCT garage and Iceland.

When we're talking about surrounding areas and the commute, then it's not even comparable to Bushy Park, Dangan and the NUIG campus, or the coast route from Barna into Salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Possibly but Doughiska is still a bit of an eye sore. The closed down lodge, the industrial estate with the NCT garage and Iceland.

When we're talking about surrounding areas and the commute, then it's not even comparable to Bushy Park, Dangan and the NUIG campus, or the coast route from Barna into Salthill.
    What closed down lodge?

Neither area are outstanding areas of natural beauty being honest and tbf the OP doesn't plan on living in either area..... Indeed one may never have to go within an asses roar of Doughiska or any of those areas depending on where they work.
    Each to their own etc. OP let us know how you get on.

You haven't been there for years, so. The closed hotel is converted into a very busy church and family resource centre.

The industrial area is small compared to the rest, and provides jobs within walking distance of homes.

There are some ugly spots that you haven't mentioned. But there's also a community that's very welcoming, in a way I've never heard about from the west.

You haven't been there for years, so. The closed hotel is converted into a very busy church and family resource centre.

The industrial area is small compared to the rest, and provides jobs within walking distance of homes.

There are some ugly spots that you haven't mentioned. But there's also a community that's very welcoming, in a way I've never heard about from the west.

I'm absolutely not trying to say these are bad areas. The OP wanted pro's and cons and in my opinion the west side of the city is far more beautiful than the east.

I lived on the east side of the city for nearly 20 years and I loved it, but in my mind there's no question which side has the nicer surroundings.

Advertisement