Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

St Stephens Green

• 12-03-2019 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭

Working up this way for next few months. Ran around the green yesterday, boring enough, did a run to Avia and back up the canal today.

Any other routes would you recommend for a lunch time run?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Working up this way for next few months. Ran around the green yesterday, boring enough, did a run to Avia and back up the canal today.

Any other routes would you recommend for a lunch time run?

Depends how far you can squeeze in, but you could head to the coast, Irishtown direction, and run south towards Sandymount, there's also a park there or head to the track for a session. The Trinty track opens around May I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Depends how far you can squeeze in, but you could head to the coast, Irishtown direction, and run south towards Sandymount, there's also a park there or head to the track for a session. The Trinty track opens around May I think.

Yeah I use Trinity and Irishtown when closer to the quays, probably a no go for track sessions for where I am at.

Thanks though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Yeah I use Trinity and Irishtown when closer to the quays, probably a no go for track sessions for where I am at.

Thanks though

Herbert Pk?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Iveagh gardens?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Wottle

The Green is great for sessions, 1200m around the outside 400m/200m sides, as it's uninterrupted running which is hard to find in town.

We also jog a mile up to Mount Pleasent and do 500m reps around the tennis courts.

Head out to and through Kilmaingham and back by the canal.

Quick 5k route is from the green out to Dolphins Barn and back via the Coombe, add laps of the green before or after to build distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

I work around Stephens green and run out to Herbert Park. Do two laps there and run back. It’s 2km to Hebert Park and each lap of the park is 1.6km. Nice enough route

RayCun wrote: »
    Iveagh gardens?

Its tiny, has steps and very uneven. Went there today but left

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Merrion Square is a bit quieter and a bit hillier. Only about 800m around though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Murph_D wrote: »
    Merrion Square is a bit quieter and a bit hillier. Only about 800m around though

811m :D

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Wottle wrote: »
    The Green is great for sessions, 1200m around the outside 400m/200m sides, as it's uninterrupted running which is hard to find in town.

We also jog a mile up to Mount Pleasent and do 500m reps around the tennis courts.

Quick 5k route is from the green out to Dolphins Barn and back via the Coombe, add laps of the green before or after to build distance.

Do you not find the green over crowded? Ran there on Monday and didnt think it possible to go hard there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Wottle

Do you not find the green over crowded? Ran there on Monday and didnt think it possible to go hard there?
    No, run on the outside, only corner that catches you is the gate opposite Grafton street.

No, run on the outside, only corner that catches you is the gate opposite Grafton street.

Oh outside the park, will check that out.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I work on St. Stephen's Green and regularly enough run around it. I used to hold some of the Strava Segment records, I ran some of them hard for the laugh. It can be very busy so isn't always suitable for sessions, though I'm gonna give some 200s a go later on today :)

This time of year you might get away with doing a session at St Stephen’s Green. Forget it on a fine summers day.

Did a session at Merrion Square today, no issues.
    My normal spot would be Ringsend park.

Ringsend is a nice park for a session. Dogs can be a pain though.

Hope to be back there in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Ringsend is a nice park for a session. Dogs can be a pain though.

Hope to be back there in a few months.

Yeah, I've used Ringsend Park quite a bit. I work on D'Olier St so I usually head down Pearse St, do about 6/7 laps of the park and then back along the docks, past 3 arena and up to Tara St.

Only thing I find with Ringsend Park is the Garmin tends to go a bit haywire on the side of the Park nearest Irishtown for some reason?

Hard to find locations in the city with uninterrupted running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I'm on Upper Baggot St so I do sometimes Merrion Sq (outside) a few times, Stephen's Green (outside) a few times or random loopies all around Herbert Park.

(I have nothing really to add to the thread really other than saying running at lunchtime makes me so happy, I'm on a high all afternoon from it - enjoying the lovely parks of my city just makes me feel so fortunate and grateful).

• Registered Users Posts: 29 backofthepack

How far are you looking to go?
    I'm in town and run up to the phoenix park for my 5/6 mile runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Serbian

90%+ of my running is around the inside of St. Stephen's Green. I really like it. It's handy that one lap is pretty close to bang on 1km. I've never had trouble with the path getting too crowded, but they seem to be doing work on the path a fair bit recently, which forces you out around the outside of the green which I find a lot more boring to run personally.

Serbian wrote: »
    90%+ of my running is around the inside of St. Stephen's Green. I really like it. It's handy that one lap is pretty close to bang on 1km. I've never had trouble with the path getting too crowded, but they seem to be doing work on the path a fair bit recently, which forces you out around the outside of the green which I find a lot more boring to run personally.

I don't be up there as much as I used to, but, every time I was I always met the same runner, ALWAYS. I wonder was that you? Do you have an odd running gait?

You don't have to answer this:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I don't be up there as much as I used to, but, every time I was I always met the same runner, ALWAYS. I wonder was that you? Do you have an odd running gait?

You don't have to answer this:)

I know exactly who you're talking about!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Singer wrote: »
    I know exactly who you're talking about!

This could get a bit awkward.

Murph_D wrote: »
    This could get a bit awkward.

Uh oh!!:pac:

So a quick update
    Found a nice 8k route, up leeson st and down the canal, cross the bridge at the school house and head up along the canal to Crumloin, turn right down Cork St etc and it brings you back to the green.

Advertisement