Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now ye're talking - to a Hotelier

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

What's a typical day in the life?
    Has a customer ever found something they shouldn't have?.. Was recently in a hotel and a woman found a screw in her scone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

The most famous person that stayed in your hotel or served?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Really interesting thread, thanks for your answers!

If staying in a hotel alone (e.g. business), is there any difference whether you select 1 or 2 guests staying? (Assume no breakfast included to make comparison easier).

On some rare occasions, I've been put in a room with only 1x large towel in the bathroom - which makes me think despite being a double bed, some rooms are set up for 'single travellers' and mightn't be as nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

If guests leave things behind, what happens to them.

Do you keep them for a while in case they make contact?

I know it probably would depend on the items in question.

Are 'low end' items dumped, or fair game for staff to take?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

What do you do with all the cash after a big night? Do you have a safe on the premises? Also, whereabouts in the building is that safe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭alan1963

Yester wrote: »
    What do you do with all the cash after a big night? Do you have a safe on the premises? Also, whereabouts in the building is that safe?
    And whats the combination?icon7.png

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

And how much is this free weekend.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Can you agree with me that the ladies take waaaaaay more time to clean than the gents

What I always found was the women's toilets were messier/took longer to clean but the mens always STANK of piss!

Lia_lia wrote: »
    What I always found was the women's toilets were messier/took longer to clean but the mens always STANK of piss!

That's due to their aim or lack of....

Lia_lia wrote: »

Suppose cause they don't flush?!

• Advertisement

They leave used stuff everywhere.... Sanitary towels etc....

They leave used stuff everywhere.... Sanitary towels etc....

No I'm saying men can't flush a urinal!

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Mod note:
    I've removed a few posts that were continuing the discussion of pricing - I already asked in post #177 that we move on from that topic of discussion.

If you want to discuss the pricing structures of hotels, the Travel forum might be a better place for it.

Thanks.

• Company Representative Posts: 121 Verified rep I'm a hotelier, AMA

What's a typical day in the life?
    Has a customer ever found something they shouldn't have?.. Was recently in a hotel and a woman found a screw in her scone

Your days are never typical. Something new always happens and thats one of the best things about hotels.

From my own perspective, assuming i was just on a regular day - there are core tasks that you need to oversee so you would start with making sure early reception shift is prepared for the day and see how many departures and arrivals you have which will give you a good indication for how busy the day is likely to be. You would then check on the restaurant and make sure they were ok and that breakfast service was running smoothly and slot in for a while if they needed help. I would talk to the chef and see how they were fixed, check how many people were booked in for lunch / dinner service that day and have a look at the stock levels / staff rosters and make sure they were all covered for that. I would then liaise with accommodation and see if they had any issues that might affect the operations for the day. I would then settle in, catch up on emails, take a look at the monthly figures and see how we are shaping up. I would normally have a quick 10min staff meeting with the guys around 10am and let them all tell us whats happening that day. I would meet with sales and marketing team and get an update from themselves as to what business they are chasing at the moment. I would take a look at our guest metrics, tripadvisor reviews, etc and see if they highlighted any recent issues that i may need to address with dept heads. I would have a lot of dealings with head office as we would have multiple things going on at any given time so that could take up a bit of my time. I would also have tonnes of meetings with people which may include site visits by companies to the hotels with a view to getting business from them, etc etc I would also be heavily involved in local business groups such as the chamber of commerce so this can take up some time as well. And then you would see what else the day would bring for you

You do get mishaps from time to time. If the guys rush through cleaning rooms then you will sometimes find something there that you shouldnt. Never had anything too bad so far though thankfully

The most famous person that stayed in your hotel or served?

There have been a few over the years. Bill Clinton, Lady Gaga, Bon Jovi and Posh & Becks spring to mind. Anne Charleston ( used to play madge on neighbours ) - didnt like her at all, the irish soccer and rugby teams ...

Really interesting thread, thanks for your answers!

If staying in a hotel alone (e.g. business), is there any difference whether you select 1 or 2 guests staying? (Assume no breakfast included to make comparison easier).

On some rare occasions, I've been put in a room with only 1x large towel in the bathroom - which makes me think despite being a double bed, some rooms are set up for 'single travellers' and mightn't be as nice.

Yes there can be a difference. Hotels, certainly city centre ones, would usually have corporate floors / reserve rooms for corporate guests and would have a good idea of what type of business they can expect to get and operate accordingly. so we would have a fair idea of how many corporate rooms we would sell on sun - thurs nights. Usually corporates are single travellers so we would service a double room for single occupancy and provide one set of towels, one set of teas / coffees / shampoos / showergels to save money.

In terms of the 1 vs 2 people and the single traveller rooms, i mentioned it earlier in the thread. I would always select 2 people so that you get a proper double room. Single rooms can be small and just shoehorned into hotels

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    If guests leave things behind, what happens to them.

Do you keep them for a while in case they make contact?

I know it probably would depend on the items in question.

Are 'low end' items dumped, or fair game for staff to take?

We have a lost property procedure. If its food, drink or undergarments - we throw them out straight away. Anything else would be logged in our lost property folder with the room number and date it was found. Guests will ring up looking for stuff and we can check the log when they do and locate items for them

If its something valuable like an ipad or a wallet then we would ring them

Staff would not be allowed to take anything left in a room

LOL its locked away very securely !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Yes there can be a difference. Hotels, certainly city centre ones, would usually have corporate floors / reserve rooms for corporate guests and would have a good idea of what type of business they can expect to get and operate accordingly. so we would have a fair idea of how many corporate rooms we would sell on sun - thurs nights. Usually corporates are single travellers so we would service a double room for single occupancy and provide one set of towels, one set of teas / coffees / shampoos / showergels to save money.

In terms of the 1 vs 2 people and the single traveller rooms, i mentioned it earlier in the thread. I would always select 2 people so that you get a proper double room. Single rooms can be small and just shoehorned into hotels

Is this why Booking.com asks if it's a business or leisure trip? To see if it can save money on providing for a single occupant?

troyzer wrote: »
    Is this why Booking.com asks if it's a business or leisure trip? To see if it can save money on providing for a single occupant?

No. Booking.com do that for their own market research. They like to know what % of their business is leisure and what % is corporate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

No. Booking.com do that for their own market research. They like to know what % of their business is leisure and what % is corporate

Fair enough. But I imagine a hotel would like that information as well?

troyzer wrote: »
    Fair enough. But I imagine a hotel would like that information as well?

Yes but we have our own systems that can give us information like that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Yes but we have our own systems that can give us information like that as well.

I'd say it's fairly obvious too. If I'm travelling for work I look and act v different than when I'm on a holiday!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Stolen - TV remotes

Checked into a place last night and there is no remote!
    I asked for it about 2 hours ago...when is acceptable to go ask for it again? :D

What time would you normally tell maintenance/builders to stop drilling?

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    Checked into a place last night and there is no remote!
    I asked for it about 2 hours ago...when is acceptable to go ask for it again? :D

What time would you normally tell maintenance/builders to stop drilling?

I think 2hours is sufficient time for them to have got their ass into gear to get you a remote so you are entitled to ask again !!

Personally I would normally let any major noise start @ 8:30 / 9am and finish by 6pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I think 2hours is sufficient time for them to have got their ass into gear to get you a remote so you are entitled to ask again !!

Personally I would normally let any major noise start @ 8:30 / 9am and finish by 6pm.

I didnt ask for it again. Back from dinner and its still MIA. I'll survive now without it but I shall be sure to say to reception checking out tomorrow that I didnt nick it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,209 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Have you ever been to Vegas, and if so did you try the infamous "Vegas sandwich" at check in?

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Have you ever been to Vegas, and if so did you try the infamous "Vegas sandwich" at check in?

The Vegas Sandwich haha :D:D havent heard of that one in years. It does work now to be fair. America is defo the right place for that kind of thing. Key to this is to arrive just around the advertised check-in time for the hotel. The earlier you get there, the more rooms the reception team have to play with and can move you around, upgrade you, etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,209 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

The Vegas Sandwich haha :D:D havent heard of that one in years. It does work now to be fair. America is defo the right place for that kind of thing. Key to this is to arrive just around the advertised check-in time for the hotel. The earlier you get there, the more rooms the reception team have to play with and can move you around, upgrade you, etc etc

I've never tried it. Heard too many stories of clerks just saying no but pocketing the cash.

I prefer to just ask nicely with a $20 in my hand. I prefer to tip rather than bribe, lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

Have you ever knowingly taken a booking for a room knowing that it was going to be used as a meeting place for an illicit encounter?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement