Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now ye're talking - to a Hotelier

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

How do you feel.about the fact that a lot of your business is from people who just want to have sex?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

My parents met each other working in a hotel. My mam was supervisor of cleaning staff (5 years), my dad worked up to head chef (25 years).

Have you witnessed many couples formed in your workplace over the years? My parents are not the first example I've seen :)

• Company Representative Posts: 121 Verified rep I'm a hotelier, AMA

How do you feel.about the fact that a lot of your business is from people who just want to have sex?

If you mean people who specifically only book hotel rooms to meet up and have sex on the QT then It's really not a large volume at all. If you wanted me to put a percentage on this then it wouldn't even come to 1%. But people are paying for the bed at the end of the day so if they want to do that then i think that's ok too. We aren't like Ryanair and try to charge them extra for that :rolleyes:

killanena wrote: »
    My parents met each other working in a hotel. My mam was supervisor of cleaning staff (5 years), my dad worked up to head chef (25 years).

Have you witnessed many couples formed in your workplace over the years? My parents are not the first example I've seen :)

Yes. I'm actually part of one of those couples myself believe it or not. I think you find a fair amount of workplace relationships in hotels because there are a lot of like minded people working there so its inevitable that people are going to get together. Couples in hotels understand the demands the industry places on a person and are more forgiving than a non hotel person

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

If you mean people who specifically only book hotel rooms to meet up and have sex on the QT then It's really not a large volume at all. If you wanted me to put a percentage on this then it wouldn't even come to 1%. But people are paying for the bed at the end of the day so if they want to do that then i think that's ok too. We aren't like Ryanair and try to charge them extra for that :rolleyes:

Well I more meant it in a "getting away for a romantic night" or an "I'm out on the pull and I've scored" way!

• Advertisement

Well I more meant it in a "getting away for a romantic night" or an "I'm out on the pull and I've scored" way!

Well that works too :D:D sure what can ya do. At the end of the day we are selling bedrooms after all so it's to be expected.

But .......... you cant "score" and bring someone back to your hotel room though. For insurance purposes and also for guest safety and security, hotels really should not let any unregistered guests up to bedrooms. It may be seen as hotel staff trying to spoil peoples fun, etc but really it helps protect people from the whole minefield areas of theft and consensual / non consensual sex and the problems that can arise with that. It just not worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

I've been in the unfortunate situation of (twice) sleep walking out of my hotel room completely naked at 4am and having locked myself out of the room. On both occasions I was dealt with very professionally by the night staff. I have since had random bouts of FEAR that the staff look back at the CCTV of such incidents for the craic, maybe share it around in whatsapp groups. Please put my mind at ease :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    I've been in the unfortunate situation of (twice) sleep walking out of my hotel room completely naked at 4am and having locked myself out of the room. On both occasions I was dealt with very professionally by the night staff. I have since had random bouts of FEAR that the staff look back at the CCTV of such incidents for the craic, maybe share it around in whatsapp groups. Please put my mind at ease :-)

I would.

Well the night staff would have to do a shift handover with the early shift so it would be mentioned to them. CCTV systems, provided they are fairly modern in design, are usually password protected and best practice would be to only allow members of management the ability to view / download footage and this would normally only be done in the event of their being an incident / accident on the premises whereby we may require footage for the guards or our insurance company. It would be deemed gross misconduct for staff members to record footage / share footage and would also be in contravention of Data Protection / GDPR rules as well so it would be very silly of someone to do this as they could get themselves into a lot of trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 28,078 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If I had just one experience of sleepwalking in the nude in a hotel I would make sure I wore some sort of loose comfortable clothing to sleep in, I'm sure you could find something suitable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi and thanks for all the information and stories.

Have you ever had a robbery or attack at a hotel.

Have you ever had a fire alarm go off in the early hours and have to evacuate?

Have you ever had someone come in and buy out a whole floor?

Do you cater for special requests?

Ever have an undercover sting like you see them do in the USA?

What is the procedure if staff are assaulted and are they actually looked after?

If there is a death is an option of seeing a councillor there for staff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

Also i will never forget an encounter i had with an american guest back in 1998. He came over to me in the restaurant one morning and said " you guys have the nicest bread here in Ireland " ...... i said thanks, looked down at what he was eating and saw that ...... He had a slab of weetabix in his hand with butter and marmalade on it :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Lol. I remember reading a variation on that somewhere, an American complaining that the bread (weetabix) was too dry. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

SirChenjin wrote: »
    Lol. I remember reading a variation on that somewhere, an American complaining that the bread (weetabix) was too dry. :pac:

Used to love Weetabix, butter and marmalade as a kid. Must try it again someday! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Excellent thread. Spent about 10 years working in hotels in Dublin. Its a hard satisfying job. I admire you for working in the business for so long

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I would travel between hotels in our group so i do stay over on a regular basis. Some managers find it a useful exercise to stay in their own hotels and experience the guest journey. sometimes it can help us identify silly little things that may irritate guests and we can then think of ways to address it.

Why would a manager stay in their own hotel? Surely staff would be on their A Game and make sure everything was perfect

Hi and thanks for all the information and stories.

Have you ever had a robbery or attack at a hotel.

Have you ever had a fire alarm go off in the early hours and have to evacuate?

Have you ever had someone come in and buy out a whole floor?

Do you cater for special requests?

Ever have an undercover sting like you see them do in the USA?

What is the procedure if staff are assaulted and are they actually looked after?

If there is a death is an option of seeing a councillor there for staff?

Robbery - Yes. Once. Hotels are a lot more savvy about security these days thankfully. Attacked - yes, twice. Had drink thrown over me by a clown at christmas and had another guy punch me outside out nightclub ( mistaken identity )

Fire alarm - yes it happens sometimes. We would only evacuate once the presence of a fire has been detected

That happened twice yes - one was a former Taoiseach and the other was a world famous singer

hotels are all about special requests, each and every single day. We look after people as best we can

no sting operations thankfully

assaults / traumatic incidents - yes we would make sure staff are 100% ok after anything like that

scudzilla wrote: »
    Why would a manager stay in their own hotel? Surely staff would be on their A Game and make sure everything was perfect

1 - so they can experience what the guest experiences and see if its up to scratch

2 - we would do it anonymously / last minute so that the staff did not know

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Managers sometimes stay in each others hotels where they're not known to the staff.

We once had a "new guy" join the bar staff who, as it turns out, was a spy sent from head office to see what was happening in the hotel. One of the full time barmen was sacked after this guy sent his report back cause they'd had a pint at 3am at the end of a very long shift. Also, we were all spoken to cause we didn't tell the guy he had to leave when he wasn't working because staff weren't allowed near the hotel when we weren't on duty for some reason, but as far as we knew, this dude had just moved to the town and had no friends, so we weren't exactly going to tell him to GTFO. Needless to say staff morale was at an all time high after that nonsense.

Back to the questions...

What would you say has been the biggest change to guest expectations and requirements since you started? Not including the most obvious stuff like "everyone expects WiFi."

Do you think the "Star" system still serves its purpose?

How has the general lack of knowledge of the industry in customers (as demonstrated on this thread), coupled with the increase of importance of social review websites like Trip Advisor affected the industry?

Have you ever had to sack someone for doing something wrong but was actually the right thing to do?
    Or would sacking be part of your role.

Do people come in with problems and try and record it all or Facebook live etc?

That's shocking you have been attacked and thanks for answering all my questions.

Shiminay wrote: »
    Managers sometimes stay in each others hotels where they're not known to the staff.

We once had a "new guy" join the bar staff who, as it turns out, was a spy sent from head office to see what was happening in the hotel. One of the full time barmen was sacked after this guy sent his report back cause they'd had a pint at 3am at the end of a very long shift. Also, we were all spoken to cause we didn't tell the guy he had to leave when he wasn't working because staff weren't allowed near the hotel when we weren't on duty for some reason, but as far as we knew, this dude had just moved to the town and had no friends, so we weren't exactly going to tell him to GTFO. Needless to say staff morale was at an all time high after that nonsense.

Back to the questions...

What would you say has been the biggest change to guest expectations and requirements since you started? Not including the most obvious stuff like "everyone expects WiFi."

Do you think the "Star" system still serves its purpose?

How has the general lack of knowledge of the industry in customers (as demonstrated on this thread), coupled with the increase of importance of social review websites like Trip Advisor affected the industry?

Eddie Hobbs telling the entire nation to pick up the telephone and haggle with us over prices for rooms didnt help thats for sure :D:D but we have noticed a trend that the LESS people pay, the more they complain which is rather strange. People expect so much more from hotels these days, even from the so called budget brands too. They want more bang for their buck as they say and expect the upgraded features like fridges, etc to be standard in rooms for example. Hotels have become far more accessible to people over the years and people have gone from staying in hotels once a year to an average of 8-10 times so with repetition comes expectation.

The star system does serve a purpose but the way hotels have improved in recent years, sometimes there can be very little difference between a very good 3* and a decent 4* hotel.

I think the advent of social media has affected the entire planet to be fair. It has given rise to a generation that feel they can post anything they want online and to hell with the consequences. It hasnt helped us and you do get the odd clown that will post about a single molecule of dust being on their TV but like anything you just have to adapt to it. Cant change it so we just embrace it

• Advertisement

Have you ever had to sack someone for doing something wrong but was actually the right thing to do?
    Or would sacking be part of your role.

Do people come in with problems and try and record it all or Facebook live etc?

That's shocking you have been attacked and thanks for answering all my questions.

Yes it would be part of our job spec, in conjunction with the HR function of the group too. there have been occasions when staff had to be let go. It happens. Its not nice when you have to do it but unfortunately when people put you in a position then sometimes you have no alternative

Cant say i have ever had someone live stream issues on FB ... lets hope that doesnt become a trend !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

looksee wrote: »
    If I had just one experience of sleepwalking in the nude in a hotel I would make sure I wore some sort of loose comfortable clothing to sleep in, I'm sure you could find something suitable?

agreed - i wouldn't mind but it was the same hotel at the same annual event - 2 years running. mental.

agreed - i wouldn't mind but it was the same hotel at the same annual event - 2 years running. mental.

It is something that crops up now and again. What some people do is put something like the bedroom chair or their suitcase on the floor in front of the door so that its harder for them to open the door and gives them more of a chance to wake up before they leave the room

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

The star system does serve a purpose but the way hotels have improved in recent years, sometimes there can be very little difference between a very good 3* and a decent 4* hotel.

Great thread, thanks for taking the time to do it.

Just curious, who actually awards stars? I remember years ago, it used to be Bord Failte, I think. (Showing my age, probably, mentioning Bord Failte)!

Is there a high turn over of staff?

Is the hotel group food to staff and give and decent perks.

I got married in a hotel and they were amazing and everything was so well organized.
    I found it was a really well run hotel with a big family style of friendship between staff and there was very good atmosphere.

Is this something your chain would be likeborbis it more work driven and targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Can I order something that's not on the menu?
    Have you ever lost it with a member of staff, if so why?
    What would you say was one of the most difficult customers you have had to deal with?
    What's your own best/worst hotel experiences?
    What would you say you dislike most about your job?

SirChenjin wrote: »
    Great thread, thanks for taking the time to do it.

Just curious, who actually awards stars? I remember years ago, it used to be Bord Failte, I think. (Showing my age, probably, mentioning Bord Failte)!

Any business calling themselves a hotel must be registered with Failte Ireland and its themselves that would deal with the classification of the grading for hotels and certify the star rating

Is there a high turn over of staff?

Is the hotel group food to staff and give and decent perks.

I got married in a hotel and they were amazing and everything was so well organized.
    I found it was a really well run hotel with a big family style of friendship between staff and there was very good atmosphere.

Is this something your chain would be likeborbis it more work driven and targets.

staffing - yes a very high turnover of staff, probably more so in Dublin than in the regional hotels. Just the nature of the beast in hotels im afraid

We are a large company and we do have targets to achieve but having said that, we do our best to foster a family environment in the hotels and would do things like organise christmas parties for our staff's children every year for example and give them a day out, meet santa, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,279 ✭✭✭Damien360

Any business calling themselves a hotel must be registered with Failte Ireland and its themselves that would deal with the classification of the grading for hotels and certify the star rating

Maybe I'm reading it wrong. Hotel decides star rating (based on buisness it is chasing) and Failte Ireland would inspect and verify ? Seems reasonable. Have they ever refused to verify and downgrade ? Years ago I stayed in an old place in Cork near Tivoli that had a rating far too high. I suspect it was once a great place but never reclassified.

This is not sarcasm but a question. Apologies if it reads like sarcasm

• Advertisement

Can I order something that's not on the menu?
    Have you ever lost it with a member of staff, if so why?
    What would you say was one of the most difficult customers you have had to deal with?
    What's your own best/worst hotel experiences?
    What would you say you dislike most about your job?

Yes we regularly get requests for something that may not be on the menu, usually from people with food intolerances for example. We will always do our best to accommodate them

Im sure over the years i may have freaked out at a couple of staff. No particular incident springs to mind. It is a very highly pressurised environment that we work in and extremely fast paced and we just cant carry any passengers as they say so if someone is not pulling their weight, it will get noticed very quickly

Cant say any one particular awkward guest springs immediately to mind. You would usually get someone who is what we would refer to as " being in the wrong hotel " and they can be hard to deal with. Basically what we mean by that is the guest has booked say a 3* hotel but expects 5* service and amenities and complains about absolutely everything. Nothing you can do or say to them will make any difference whatsoever. In that scenario, i would be as nice as pie with the guest to a certain point - but if they took it too far i would take them aside and politely explain the type of hotel that we were, i would explain to them that i believed they were being unfair to the hotel and the staff by way of them not managing their own expectations of what we offer and i would apologise for it being a case that the hotel was not suitable to their own particular requirements on this occasion and leave it at that

Experiences - i have listed a few previously on this thread

Worst thing - you can never relax. You are always on call because its a 24/7 industry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement