Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw an abandoned classic and took a pic thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Blue850

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Still there as of last week.

Owner won't part with anything. There was a Reliant SS1 parked behind the Lotus the last time I passed that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

In Kildare area, could be useful for parts. I can provide location if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Nice find

Interestingly enough the plates look recent enough, they're those typical motor factor jobbies. I wonder if someone tried in recent times to get it back on the road but gave up?

Nice find

Interestingly enough the plates look recent enough, they're those typical motor factor jobbies. I wonder if someone tried in recent times to get it back on the road but gave up?

From what the land owner told me, the car was driven there 20 years ago, and was only 'found' recently when he cleared the undergrowth.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,772 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Unidentifiable (to me) wreck at the foot of a mountain. I don't know how it drove up here as the track is pretty impossible for all apart from 4wd tractors.

• Advertisement

Unidentifiable (to me) wreck at the foot of a mountain. I don't know how it drove up here as the track is pretty impassible for all apart from 4wd tractors.

sugarman wrote: »
    NCT due date is showing 1/8/2018, so could have been on the road until recently although it looks to be have been sitting up much longer.

I think it's been a long time since it's seen the inside of an NCT centre. Regardless, as soon as the rest of the area is cleared, it's going to be crushed.

Unidentifiable (to me) wreck at the foot of a mountain. I don't know how it drove up here as the track is pretty impassible for all apart from 4wd tractors.

Steering wheel is (to my mind) something Japanese..can’t put my finger on anything though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Steering wheel is (to my mind) something Japanese..can’t put my finger on anything though

Possibly early 80's Toyota (Land Cruiser or HiLux?), based on the horn buttons, other switch-gear and seat fabric, but it's pretty far gone alright

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

1979 Toyota carina

1979-toyota-carina-1322084-1217837.jpg

• Advertisement

That's why it all looked familiar - we had a 1980 Carina (545 EZI) for a year or two (my parents never liked it, so it got sold) - the dash was different, but it did have that steering wheel and some of the switches.

That one probably got joyridden up there and then abandoned when it got stuck/broke.

I had a Mk1 Accord and the steering wheel had loads of horn buttons on the various spokes - thats what gave it away for me as being something jap anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Lofidelity

The photo of the old Lotus reminded me that i think i seen one last summer outside a farmhouse on the Galway/Clare border. Its black, and has a wedge shape so possibly an Eclat.

If anybody is interested in saving one ill try to give directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,831 ✭✭✭✭unkel

sugarman wrote: »
    NCT due date is showing 1/8/2018, so could have been on the road until recently although it looks to be have been sitting up much longer.

NCT due date is meaningless. NCT certificate expiry date is where it's at and the Fiesta doesn't have any, which means it never passed an NCT test :D

It most likely either failed the test in the year 2000, when it was due. Or the owner knew it would never pass. And it was moved to the field some time after that...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Nice find

That style of plate has been around since at least the '90s, I guess it was just made well as it's lasted.

Type 17 wrote: »
    That's why it all looked familiar - we had a 1980 Carina (545 EZI) for a year or two (my parents never liked it, so it got sold) - the dash was different, but it did have that steering wheel and some of the switches.

That one probably got joyridden up there and then abandoned when it got stuck/broke.

Doubt it. Too old and too remote for the joyriding types.
    An old cottage that looks unoccupied nearer the public road, owner could have lived there. New landowner probably chucked it up there out of the way with a tractor and loader, judging by the other more recent random stuff dumped here and there.

Doubt it. Too old and too remote for the joyriding types.
    Joyriding may be older than you think - it was huge in the early 80's - I remember seeing a newish, burnt out Mk1 Golf GTI one Sunday morning on a back lane behind Wilfield Road in Sandymount - I still remember noticing how the tops of the Pirelli P-rims had melted and flowed into puddles beside the car, leaving the P's open at the top :(
    An old cottage that looks unoccupied nearer the public road, owner could have lived there. New landowner probably chucked it up there out of the way with a tractor and loader, judging by the other more recent random stuff dumped here and there.

In that case, it probably wasn't driven up there...

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭supersaint3

Sorry i know there is a dreamers thread in the main motor forum, I thought there was one here couldn't find it but I think this almost qualifies as abandoned...

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/hillman-avenger/21057680

A thousand euros!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Aska

Seen this car for a long time now just buried, not sure the Audi model but it's a lovely colour. Doubt anyone can see it from a car while driving by, even Google street / road view only barely grabs the roof, But I've passed it so many times in the truck that I finally stopped and got out and took a photo of it.

9WMKGNh.jpg

iuKN5FA.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Aska did you ever own one of these

909.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Aska wrote: »
    Seen this car for a long time now just buried, not sure the Audi model but it's a lovely colour. Doubt anyone can see it from a car while driving by, even Google street / road view only barely grabs the roof, But I've passed it so many times in the truck that I finally stopped and got out and took a photo of it.

It was a nice Audi 80 coupe by the looks of it one of the run out models??? Lovely colour indeed.

Not really a classic but most definitely abandoned :)

20190220-132315.jpg

Bet that'd come up lovely!

It's there couple of years now most parts looks intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,957 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

No - they were awful looking when new.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,957 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'm presuming this is sort of 'abandoned' as it's in the same position each time I pass and has been there for a long time.

(Not sure why it's outside the fence either rather than parked inside with the other Rolls, Bentleys, Jags, Mercs,)

Ey9sfMrh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Spotted today in gorey

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭clogher71

This has been in a lock up garage for as long as I can remember, I had forgotten it was there or even still existed , but recall it peeping out occasionally over the years. The undertaker is long passed on also. I pass today and it's outside it's home, the roof is falling in where it was kept for the past 35+ years at a guess it's now getting ready for its final journey........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

clogher71 wrote: »
    This has been in a lock up garage for as long as I can remember, I had forgotten it was there or even still existed , but recall it peeping out occasionally over the years. The undertaker is long passed on also. I pass today and it's outside it's home, the roof is falling in where it was kept for the past 35+ years at a guess it's now getting ready for its final journey........

That looks like the aftermath of a car bomb.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Sorry i know there is a dreamers thread in the main motor forum, I thought there was one here couldn't find it but I think this almost qualifies as abandoned...

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/hillman-avenger/21057680

A thousand euros!!!

Dad's first new car was one of one of those. Even now looks less of a rust machine than his next car, a Fiat Miafiore 131, bought brand new and had lost a few inches of door skin by time of sale / trade in. Nice patina...

Advertisement