Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw an abandoned classic and took a pic thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,957 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Type 17 wrote: »
    ...ZO nnnn (Not sure, but probably pre-war in Dublin)...)
    1952/53

Bus Boy wrote: »
    .... Funny the way the plates went back then.
    When registrations were introduced in December 1903, each county on the island of Ireland (pre-independence) was issued with a series which contained the letters 'I' or 'Z' to differentiate them from other UK plates where 'I' and 'Z' were not used. The counties were issued alphabetically - IA for Antrim, IB for Armagh, IC for Carlow, ID for Cavan and so on followed by up to four digits allowing for 9,999 individual plates.

I suppose the powers that be at the time didn't anticipate the popularity of the internal combustion engine and probably assumed that each series would last forever.

Dublin managed to get through the first series by 1927 so they had to bring in an alternative series. It had got to the stage where Dublin letters were changing several times per year resulting in more and more combinations of letters as a plate couldn't have more than 6 characters - 1 letter and up to 4 numbers, 2 letters/4 numbers or 3 letters/3 numbers.

Most counties managed to buy a lot of time by simply putting a prefix letter in front of the original series, followed by up to 3 letters. eg, AIB, BIB etc.

Leitrim and Longford on the other hand managed to make the first series last up until the 1970's..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Any ideas what this might be? Its abandoned in a forestry.

Ford Pinto Engine in it...

IMG-20181219-151358-EFFECTS.jpg

IMG-20181219-151412.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭elperello

When registrations were introduced in December 1903, each county on the island of Ireland (pre-independence) was issued with a series which contained the letters 'I' or 'Z' to differentiate them from other UK plates where 'I' and 'Z' were not used. The counties were issued alphabetically - IA for Antrim, IB for Armagh, IC for Carlow, ID for Cavan and so on followed by up to four digits allowing for 9,999 individual plates.

I suppose the powers that be at the time didn't anticipate the popularity of the internal combustion engine and probably assumed that each series would last forever.

Dublin managed to get through the first series by 1927 so they had to bring in an alternative series. It had got to the stage where Dublin letters were changing several times per year resulting in more and more combinations of letters as a plate couldn't have more than 6 characters - 1 letter and up to 4 numbers, 2 letters/4 numbers or 3 letters/3 numbers.

Most counties managed to buy a lot of time by simply putting a prefix letter in front of the original series, followed by up to 3 letters. eg, AIB, BIB etc.

Leitrim and Longford on the other hand managed to make the first series last up until the 1970's..

And Leitrim Co Co were mighty relieved that they never got to T in the second series :)

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭greendragon3

elperello wrote: »
    And Leitrim Co Co were mighty relieved that they never got to T in the second series :)

HIT 1 and GIT 1 were issued though !!

• Advertisement

HIT 1 and GIT 1 were issued though !!

Yes they finished up at KIT 780 in December 1986.
    Lot's of lovely reg. numbers lost forever when we introduced the year plates.

KIT 1 would have been nice on a certain black pontiac trans-am .

a friend of the family had both a pontiac trans-am and the older " smokey and the bandit " shape in storage up in mohill , hes passed away now so i wonder where they ended up ???

They would have simply skipped it and moved straight to UIT. Limerick issued HIV but I suppose it was just before it became topical.

Kilkenny didn't issue KIP and RIP. It must have galled the Kilkenny hurling fans along the Tipperary border to drive around with TIP on their plates!

KIT 1 would have been nice on a certain black pontiac trans-am .

a friend of the family had both a pontiac trans-am and the older " smokey and the bandit " shape in storage up in mohill , hes passed away now so i wonder where they ended up ???

Do you not feel a road trip coming on?
    You'll never know if you don't ask.

Do you not feel a road trip coming on?
    You'll never know if you don't ask.

ha ha ive thought about it strongly , last i heard they were squirreled away in a damp old shed surrounded by musty hay !!!

i must inquire with my old man re photos , i know there are some knocking around .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

They would have simply skipped it and moved straight to UIT. Limerick issued HIV but I suppose it was just before it became topical.

Kilkenny didn't issue KIP and RIP. It must have galled the Kilkenny hurling fans along the Tipperary border to drive around with TIP on their plates!

I have DIE257 on a Honda 250n! As bad as RIP IMO :D

A old Clare farmer by the name of McDonald had EIE 10

(not really :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

999 DIE was put on an Ambulance in the 80's :eek:

Saw a fire tender in Dundalk in the 1980's with XZY 999.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭3nero

A old Clare farmer by the name of McDonald had EIE 10

(not really :) )

I've seen EIE 10 on an old mini. I have pics but photobucket is holding them hostage. but I have a pic of this old hearse :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Before '93, each local authority issued reg's, and were also responsible for municipal vehicles, such as bin lorries and fire trucks, hence the proliferation of 999 registrations (I also remember 999 VIP on a Kilkenny fire truck).

sligo fire brigade used to have LEI 999 , A Dennis fire tender .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

DIE 222 WAS A HEARSE....

20125131565_e37bb10e14_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭w124man

I used to see that ambulance working out of Cork Regional in the early 80's

Citroen H van spotted in Lusk, Co Dublin.

MkY63fWh.jpg

• Advertisement

sligo fire brigade used to have LEI 999 , A Dennis fire tender .

lying out going rotten up in riverstown now !!!

LEI%20999_zpsdh3abwcq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

lying out going rotten up in riverstown now !!!

I used to own one like this with the fire bodywork removed, was planning to make a motorhome until it was stolen :(. 1966, 18000 miles on a 5.7l AEC engine. Very heavy clutch!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Outside a garage in Co. Galway. Been there a while.

Lotus? Ferrari?

456545.JPG
    Thats a Triumph TR7.

Where in Galway? City ? County?

Would make a great TR8.....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

galwaytt wrote: »
    Thats a Triumph TR7.

It looks like a lotus eclat to me.

kev1.3s wrote: »
    It looks like a lotus eclat to me.

Definitely a Lotus.
    Good spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Toyota, definitely a Toyota :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

galwaytt wrote: »
    Thats a Triumph TR7.

Lotus.

Co Galway close to Moylough on the Clonberne road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

It's a Lotus all right... and it's still there, as of July 18!

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.5302123,-8.6242153,3a,15.1y,88.34h,82.87t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sszWGCltgffNOGdP8zXCleA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Somebody needs to save this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

It's a lotus excel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

It's a Lotus all right... and it's still there, as of July 18!

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.5302123,-8.6242153,3a,15.1y,88.34h,82.87t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sszWGCltgffNOGdP8zXCleA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Somebody needs to save this.

Still there as of last week.

Advertisement