Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor Mcgregor arrested again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

KikiLaRue wrote: »
    I know his uncle. People I'm friendly with are friendly with him. Both of those things are true. I'm not personally friendly with him. That's the distinction I was making - I know his name, he knows mine, we say hello to each other. But I only know what he said above because of the people I know who are actually friendly with him.

Why is this so hard for you to believe?

It's impossible to believe

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Surely a smart person like yourself knows you don't even have to touch someone to be convicted of assault in Ireland.

Depends how well they know the legal system!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Surely a smart person like yourself knows you don't even have to touch someone to be convicted of assault in Ireland.
    "He was raping me with his eyes"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

biko wrote: »

Pretty sure it's not a metaphorical eye-rape McGregor stands accused of.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement

It's impossible to believe

If I was going to make up a connection to a celebrity online, I'd definitely go with someone more interesting than Conor McGregor's uncle.

Like maybe I went to school with Amy Huberman and we still whatsapp on the reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Samuel Vimes

Strong-armed robbery for slapping a phone out of someone's hand?
    Word inflation galore.
    Like when people call it "assault" to even just touch someone.

You are not required to touch someone to be guilty of assault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭MsGiggles

greenspurs wrote: »
    He was arrested, again, ….. :rolleyes:

It is a big deal. As he is a worldwide (?) superstar of MMA.
    It would be like Ronaldo getting arrested …

Is he really a big deal though ??
    Think that’s it for him now !

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Think McGregor’s biggest problem now is the fact that it was his gob and his carry-on that got him this far.

His antics and out of the octagon showmanship in the UFC saw him move up the ranks far quicker than his skill alone would have and he basically talked himself into a title shot at the stage of his career where other fighters and milling around the top ten.

He trash-talked his way into that title fight with Jose Aldo and his career shot off like a rocket from then. It was a similar situation with Mayweather – his verbals and antics convinced millions of people to pay money for a nonsense fight that he had no chance of winning.

But now that all seems to be behind him now, how does he turn that off? I don’t think he’s ever going to be a real title contender in the UFC again and he’s created a caricature for himself that he’s going to find very hard to shake off, if indeed he wants to.

He’s a man who has bought far too much into what he’s selling himself.

MsGiggles wrote: »
    Is he really a big deal though ??
    Think that’s it for him now !

These days he's mainly a coke addict (allegedly), a violent thug (allegedly), a cheater (allegedly) and a rapist (allegedly).

He's also well on his way to earning the title "has been".

But yes, he is still a big deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

Think McGregor’s biggest problem now is the fact that it was his gob and his carry-on that got him this far.

His antics and out of the octagon showmanship in the UFC saw him move up the ranks far quicker than his skill alone would have and he basically talked himself into a title shot at the stage of his career where other fighters and milling around the top ten.

He trash-talked his way into that title fight with Jose Aldo and his career shot off like a rocket from then. It was a similar situation with Mayweather – his verbals and antics convinced millions of people to pay money for a nonsense fight that he had no chance of winning.

But now that all seems to be behind him now, how does he turn that off? I don’t think he’s ever going to be a real title contender in the UFC again and he’s created a caricature for himself that he’s going to find very hard to shake off, if indeed he wants to.

He’s a man who has bought far too much into what he’s selling himself.

Totally agree. The problem with strong and memorable characters in any kind of celebrity arena is that they end up becoming a cliche of themselves. They start off with an air of mystery and pique interest because no-one knows them, but over time that fades and in the case of someone like McGregor - who resorts often to vulgarities, egotistical behaviour and full-on criminality at times - this negative behaviour can be incredibly wearing on fans and non-fans alike. In no time at all, they're such a cliche that comedians can make sketches based on them.

It used to be that you didn't really know what to expect when Conor McGregor turned up at a press conference or fight. Now we know exactly what to expect. The unpredictability which made him appealing has vanished.

The best thing McGregor could do now is to try and not be that character. That's what would take people by surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

KikiLaRue wrote: »
    These days he's mainly a coke addict (allegedly), a violent thug (allegedly), a cheater (allegedly) and a rapist (allegedly).

He's also well on his way to earning the title "has been".

But yes, he is still a big deal.

In short he's a knob end, who surrounds himself with other knob ends who will most likely bleed him dry. If he doesn't grow the fúck up and also lay off the Charlie he's destined for the gutter - which to be perfectly truthful is probably where he belongs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I do think it's time that the RTE Sports Personality award that he won in 2016 is taken back off him. It was a disgrace that he won in the first place against far more deserving candidates such as Paul O'Donovan (rowing), or Jamie Heaslip (Rugby). Instead there was a concerted effort by his gurning fans to rig the vote so their scumbag hero would win. Then he didn't even bother to turn up to accept the award. What a despicable cretin he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

America is full of snowflakes.

This is a non story, probably some idiot mouthing off and shoving a camera on his face, I’d do the same.

Went crying to the police because his phone got smashed.

Well the police reviewed the CCTV before charging him, no doubt it will somehow be eventually leaked to the internet and we will be able to judge it.

However all reports saying it was a fan wanting to take a picture of him. Was 5am with him leaving a nightclub so not crazy to think at least a bit of booze involved and McGregor notably has anger issues.

It's pretty hard to defend him....again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Word inflation galore.

Strong-armed robbery, as it suggests is using force to commit theft.

If you were over there and someone slapped your phone out of your hand, stamped on it before picking it up and going off with it I'm pretty sure you wouldn't argue that it wasn't strong-armed robbery and that the police were just going over the top with it.

Whatever about the law and what we think of it, surely what is being reported falls under the category.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

His erratic behaviour and vast consumption of cocaine are probably up there too.

The tide is turning…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

NEWSFLASH! Angry, aggressive cretin, gets angry and becomes aggressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

NEWSFLASH! Angry, aggressive cretin, gets angry and becomes aggressive.

I’m not sure what people expected from him. His profession is a blood sport fought in cages. He’s worshiped by hordes of angry young men, most of whom look they’ve never seen the inside of a gym or too much natural sunlight.

Hopefully he’ll get his house in order but it doesn’t seem like anyone is looking out for him judging by the trail of destruction and allegations that have followed him over the last number of years.

The tide is turning…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

I’m not sure what people expected from him.

maybe to make good use of his many millions, and heaven knows try and contribute something back to the "sport" and to young people in general.

am i asking too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

I think he's on the rocky road to rehab and he'll join a lot of celebs and sports star's on the road to recovery....

The young man is in a lot of trouble, he needs help.

It probably boils down to his choice of living and personal influences.

Been there done that tore off the t-shirt....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You are not required to touch someone to be guilty of assault.
    Stop assaulting me with your internet comments

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

America's justice system has a soft spot for the rich and famous but not for multiple offenders, he might be in trouble here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Word inflation galore.

He slapped the phone out of his hand, stomped on it and took it afterwards. Some phones are worth over €1000 these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

I saw a Tweet that said he now has more arrests than wins since 2016 or 2017 or something. Lolz.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I can’t believe he stole someone’s phone like that. He must have been nostalgic for the old days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

McGregor's just playing the game. He's two steps ahead of everyone else. None of us could dare attempt to even try to decrypt the Machiavellian machinations of this wily fox's brain. :D:D:D

Seriously though, it's clear that he has been given absolutely no real guidance from anyone close to him since his rise to the top. Obviously someone needs to step in and try to save him before he does some serious damage to himself or someone else. However it seems that he's surrounded himself with sycophants and yes men who are happy to keep the party going while their money's coming in, including his own parents and siblings.

Time will catch up with him, he will lose his fortune and the party will end. Eventually his none too plussed family will be looking on in horror as he is reduced to fighting travellers in tractor trailers behind Tesco carparks and they realise they sold out their own, only son for coinage and slim-fit, hand-fitted Hugo Boss suits.

Bad behaviour seems to be a trend with fighters and coaches from SBG gym. One of the SBG fighter/coaches killed a retiree in a street attack in 2016.

You'd have to wonder about John Kavanagh's leadership, do they not have a code of conduct in that gym?

I can't believe parents would send their kids there, to a breeding ground for thugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Perifect

I think we should call up Khabib to teach him some manners again. McTapper smeshes a phone, Khabib will smesh his face.

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    McGregor's just playing the game. He's two steps ahead of everyone else. None of us could dare attempt to even try to decrypt the Machiavellian machinations of this wily fox's brain. :D:D:D

Seriously though, it's clear that he has been given absolutely no real guidance from anyone close to him since his rise to the top. Obviously someone needs to step in and try to save him before he does some serious damage to himself or someone else. However it seems that he's surrounded himself with sycophants and yes men who are happy to keep the party going while their money's coming in, including his own parents and siblings.

Time will catch up with him, he will lose his fortune and the party will end. Eventually his none too plussed family will be looking on in horror as he is reduced to fighting travellers in tractor trailers behind Tesco carparks and they realise they sold out their own, only son for coinage and slim-fit, hand-fitted Hugo Boss suits.

I dunno, you'd get a lot of coke and lamborghinis for $100m, and that was just one fights. You'd have to assume he still has a fortune coming in from merch and sponsorship deals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Woke Hogan wrote: »

Wonder were the drug dealing Murray brothers on this trip, they seem to go everywhere else with him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement