Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : 2019 and Winter 2020

• 04-03-2019 7:17pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Thanks to JCX BXC for pointing out need to start a Spring / Summer thread.

A few clatters of Thunder here near Tralee this evening and some big showers of hail .

A lot of activity today .

k3KaBKc.png

LKcE1uO.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I had just posted about Thunder and Lightning in Galway before you changed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Some rumbles around Castlebar currently.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Just looking through the charts and taking a guess that there could be some sporadic lightning later along the Cork coast , maybe somewhere around 23.00 to 24.00. Not too sure but a low chance of a few moving inland heading Northwards in the early hours also. Also along the S, SE and E coasts could get some sporadic lightning but a low chance.

anim_qoz4.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

If there's nothing for the next two months it'll be a full two years since I last heard a rumble of thunder :(

Wonder are there any stats anywhere on sferics? In my mind at least its been an extremely un-thundery couple of years nationwide (barring that one night last May) with rarely more than a few sporadic strikes at best and very few of those days with big convective showers and great cloudscapes

• Registered Users Posts: 20,323 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

If there's nothing for the next two months it'll be a full two years since I last heard a rumble of thunder :(

Wonder are there any stats anywhere on sferics? In my mind at least its been an extremely un-thundery couple of years nationwide (barring that one night last May) with rarely more than a few sporadic strikes at best and very few of those days with big convective showers and great cloudscapes

Last year maybe with how wonderful the summer was

Tough for Donegal though. In my previous job, I did a lot of work in "Thunderstorm Alley". Carlow, Kildare, Laois, Meath. All summer long the last couple of years you'd have great opportunities for storms nearly every day. Especially around Naas.

Convection seems to build east of limerick city, track east of the slieve blooms and then explode

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭highdef

Rikand wrote: »
    Last year maybe with how wonderful the summer was

Tough for Donegal though. In my previous job, I did a lot of work in "Thunderstorm Alley". Carlow, Kildare, Laois, Meath. All summer long the last couple of years you'd have great opportunities for storms nearly every day. Especially around Naas.

Convection seems to build east of limerick city, track east of the slieve blooms and then explode

Maybe someday I will get a better video than the one below, taken in 2012, showing a (confirmed) weak tornado touching down near home, on the Kildare/Meath border, in "Thunderstorm Alley" - I'd noticed very strange cloud movements and lowerings close to home on my drive home from work so I grabbed the video camera and tripod and drove to the top of the hill.

Was so lucky to capture the complete life cycle of the tornado. As weak as it was, I'm not sure if there any other decent quality videos of the full life cycle of a tornado in Ireland. The quality is actually quite poor on Youtube. I also had a problem with the camera at the time and could not capture the video digitally onto the computer.

Some of the video is sped up but it's fairly obvious where those parts are!

I lived in Kildare all of last year and still didn't hear a single rumble!

In Donegal we usually need an unstable southerly for thunderstorms in the summer which are rare at the best of times but in a typical autumn and winter we'd get at least 2-3 days with thundery hail showers off the Atlantic. Not a thing this year..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Great Video highdef , would love to capture a touchdown some day, saw a few funnels but never one on the ground. Looks like I will have to go chasing in Ireland's Tornado alley some time ! Get some good reports and pictures from there for sure , a lot of the storms seem to mature up in that area especially after the heat of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,601 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I lived in Kildare all of last year and still didn't hear a single rumble!

In Donegal we usually need an unstable southerly for thunderstorms in the summer which are rare at the best of times but in a typical autumn and winter we'd get at least 2-3 days with thundery hail showers off the Atlantic. Not a thing this year..

My parents live near Kill Village and on a date last July they had one of the most violent Thunderstorms for many a year - heavy hail, gusty winds, multiple lightning strikes etc., lasted nearly 2 hours,actually did a fair bit of damage locally to spring crops.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,095 ✭✭✭pad199207

Birdnuts wrote: »
    My parents live near Kill Village and on a date last July they had one of the most violent Thunderstorms for many a year - heavy hail, gusty winds, multiple lightning strikes etc., lasted nearly 2 hours,actually did a fair bit of damage locally to spring crops.

I think that particular storm hit in August. This was the hail that fell from it

AFACF079-A3-C5-45-B0-B138-7301-DFA9890-A.jpg

• Advertisement

Easy knowing I moved back to Donegal at the end of July :D

Was also up visiting the folks the time of the big storms in May last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Ireland's 'thunderstorm alley' :pac::pac::pac:

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Was just outside there(Castlebar) to bin and noticed the sky light up towards the northwest. Nice thunderstorm off the coast near Belmullet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭sunbeam

I can hear it approaching here in Achill now.

And now we have hailstones in the mix...

A fine rumble just now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭squarecircles

been treated to a beautiful light show tonight,constant flashes for the past hour,across achill as i watch from across the waters of clew bay.

very intense cell still going.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Was just outside there(Castlebar) to bin and noticed the sky light up towards the northwest. Nice thunderstorm off the coast near Belmullet

Lights flickering now in Castlebar, some loud rumbles currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Solli

Can see it from west limerick, light flashes are very regular though. Could lightning be so regular?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Solli

Can see it from west limerick, light flashes are very regular though. Could lightning be so regular?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,078 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

From West Limerick! Not a flicker nor rumble in West Clare.

The light your seeing wouldn't happen to seem consistently occuring at similar time intervals?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Pete2k

Plenty of flashes ere in West roscommon. Can't hear any thunder

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭scooby77

Thunderstorm 10k south of sligo at moment. Flashes approx 3 min apart. <3 seconds between flash and particularly long rumbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Pete2k wrote: »
    Plenty of flashes ere in West roscommon. Can't hear any thunder

i think this was an elevated thunderstorm,hence no thunder,the flashes i saw as it passed through mayo were very high up in the cloud struture.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Hearing lots of thunder not too far off, SE Sligo.

Have had some hail too.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Strikes directly above here have knocked out the power, that was pretty scary.se sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

Strikes directly above here have knocked out the power, that was pretty scary.se sligo

Intense thunder and lightning followed by a volley of large hailstones ..ballymote.

Just when I thought it was all over another big bang here and lights went for a moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭monster1

Lightning now Midwest roscommon. Can't hear thunder yet though

• Advertisement

Wow. The house just shook. Best thunderstorm in ages

Advertisement