Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

San Francisco is a ****hole.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭Homer

Was there a couple of weeks ago and it has the worst homelessness and mental issues of any city I’ve visited in the US by far!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭Ted Johnson

I believe Detroit is the ultimate example of American liberal progress.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

How is it liberal progress?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

It’s like the curates egg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

They've a huge homeless problem with many of those homeless suffering from mental health issues and it's one of the most expensive places to live in the world. Been there twice now and I wouldn't be in a rush to go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Dingaan

How is it liberal progress?

He means the Democrat's have been in power since the year dot.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

The American dream has long died in certain specialties parts of the US. Hartford, Detroit, East St louis. These are sh1t holes akin to third world countries, where crime drugs poverty are the way of life. More people killed in Chicago than in Iraq.
    The US is f ucked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

It's twinned with Cork City.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

And there's me thinking the decline of the automobile industry is what led to Detroit being in such a bad way.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Been there twice. Really liked it. Beautiful city.

Golden Gate Bridge, Golden Gate Park. Fisheman's Wharf , Sealions, Alcatraz, Castro, Lomabard Street, Cable cars, to name just a few things.

Good night life.

Yes there's a huge homeless problem and they have mental health issues just like most homeless people here despite everybody blaming the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I was there once after coming from Vegas and I flew back to Vegas early, couldn't wait to get out of there. So expensive, filthy, unacceptable levels of homelessness, windy and I found the people in general fairly unfriendly.

It's got some cool, interesting parts but you really see the poverty divide there.

I really liked San Francisco and want to go back at some stage. People are really friendly wherever we went.

There were many homeless though which was sad to see but I grew up in a big city so (sadly) I was used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I used to live just outside of San Francisco in Mountain View years ago (long before Google).

I've always enjoyed the city, there's always plenty to do and it's relatively safe during the day. I've only once had problems at night over there where I didn't feel safe. Haight Street at night can be dodgy. That said, Dublin is pretty much the same in that regard.

They do have a very big problem with homelessness. It's very visible over there. Golden Gate Park used to have a homeless person sleeping under every bush or tree when I was last over there but they get cleared out every so often. They seem to have a lot of homeless people who lie on the footpath (pavement) over there during the day and we don't see that as much here. Our homeless don't seem as visible.

There's a huge mental illness problem there, but that seems common enough throughout the US. Their medical system is absolutely sh1te for those near the bottom of the ladder. If anybody thinks our supports are weak, they'd want to experience the third world service that poor people get over there.

I doubt that San Francisco is much different to any major US city really though. They probably all have the same problems. And we have a lot of similar problems here too.

Anyway, I'm off over there for holidays in September/October. Looking forward to it to be honest. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

The American dream has long died in certain specialties parts of the US. Hartford, Detroit, East St louis. These are sh1t holes akin to third world countries, where crime drugs poverty are the way of life. More people killed in Chicago than in Iraq.
    The US is f ucked.

Richest country in the world with unprecedented standards of living but okay!

I had the best night ever on Haight Street. Met some amazing people in one bar who took me and my husband under their wing. They took us to some great bars and it was a battle to pay for a drink. I did say to them at one stage “if you’re thinking of mugging us I wouldn’t bother. We don’t have much money” :D

They thought I was away with the fairies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

MayoSalmon wrote: »

It may be the richest country but that wealth certainly isn't spread evenly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Quick, blame the Liberals and Feminists!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

I believe eating skittles will one day give me the ability to sweat skittles on demand. It may not be true, but I believe it goddamnit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'm east coast, love new york.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

The US is f ucked.

To paraphrase George Carlin, It's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Homer wrote: »
    Was there a couple of weeks ago and it has the worst homelessness and mental issues of any city I’ve visited in the US by far!

I was there a few years ago and had the same experiance. Street after street full of tents with people living in them, 1000's of people just shuffling about. Not surprised to hear nothing has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

To paraphrase George Carlin, It's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it.

Yes but, to clarify, I think that dream was more about hard work and bettering yourself rather than ****ting on a footpath and thinking the richness should just automatically flow into your outstretched empty coffee cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

topper75 wrote: »
    Yes but, to clarify, I think that dream was more about hard work and bettering yourself rather than ****ting on a footpath and thinking the richness should just automatically flow into your outstretched empty coffee cup.

Either way the so called american dream is dead

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The Democrats are liberal now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

There you have it though, for the rich. You ain't rich and you don't have health insurance, you really are fcuked. And there's literally tens of millions on that tightrope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭donaghs

San Francisco's homeless problem does seem visibly worse on its main streets than other US cities.

The problem precedes late 80s gentrification, and the 90s tech boom.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homelessness_in_the_San_Francisco_Bay_Area#Emergence_in_the_late_70's_and_early_80's

You'd have to draw the conclusion that something has gone wrong with how the issue has been managed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Your Face wrote: »
    It's twinned with Cork City.

Both are very hilly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

I was there in 2000, pretty horrific (apart from some amazing places) I can only imagine what it is like now.
    A couple of years later I passed through on my way to Arcata Northern CA.
    We saw a homeless guy taking a dump in the middle of the street when we were driving through at about 6AM....:(

Advertisement