Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keith Flint of The Prodigy RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,594 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

https://www.facebook.com/theprodigyofficial/posts/10156991931273249

Following the tragic death of Keith Flint all forthcoming Prodigy shows will be cancelled with immediate effect.

TheProdigyHQ

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

kooga wrote: »
    whats the backing track that plays around 2 mins in - I know it but I cant think of it thanks

It's Rez by underworld.

Its occurred to me that people think Keith wrote a lot/all of the music. People (Leo Varadkar :rolleyes:) tweeting how he loved Jilted. I had as much input on that album as Keith did.

Not to disrespect Keith but at least reference an album Keith did something on. Fat of the Land, Invaders etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

The Nal wrote: »
    Its occurred to me that people think Keith wrote a lot/all of the music. People (Leo Varadkar :rolleyes:) tweeting how he loved Jilted. I had as much input on that album as Keith did.

Not to disrespect Keith but at least reference an album Keith did something on. Fat of the Land, Invaders etc.

Can't imagine Varadkar rolling around the floor necking bangers listening to the Prodigy in 94 for some reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Fieldog wrote: »
    Can't imagine Varadkar rolling around the floor necking bangers listening to the Prodigy in 94 for some reason...

I can. He goes to music festivals frequently. He was seen walking topless around Body & Soul last year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I can. He goes to music festivals frequently. He was seen walking topless around Body & Soul last year!

I've seen him at said festival's myself, remember he turned up backstage at LCD soundsystem gig in the Olympia, that one was a bit awkward... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Fieldog wrote: »
    I've seen him at said festival's myself, remember he turned up backstage at LCD soundsystem gig in the Olympia, that one was a bit awkward... :)

We can't criticise him for his taste in music anyway :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

He was seen walking topless around Body & Soul last year!

He was there alright. But I doubt he was topless.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

This news has hit me hard-

I've been a fan of Keith & the lads since they were a 'mere' Live Rave PA at the likes of 'Amnesia House' & 'Universe' (Huge Raves - best years of my life!!) back in the day, banging out the breakbeats, bleeps and basslines!!
    Never did I think they'd end up becoming NME Indie/ Rock darlings- let alone global icons, when they were sharing the stage with the the likes N-Joi, Altern-8, the Ragga Twins or fecking Dream Frequency :) !!

My favourite era of them was the post rave 93 - 95 era (when the UK Rave scene fragmented & mutated into all the various different subgenres/ sub scenes) & they emerged with the likes of Leftfield, Underworld, the Dust Brothers (Now the Chemical Bros) & Orbital etc to wow all the Rock & Indie Kids at Festivals.
    During that time they had more of an edgier sound IMHO & I lost a bit of interest in their output later on in the 90s during the Fat of the land- Big Beat years when the US & MTV started to notice them more.
    That said, I still enjoyed the last few LPs but probably preferred remixes of their output more if I'm honest (Was blasting the 'Teddy Killerz' remix of We Live Forever' out of the car earlier!!!)
    My raving days are pretty much over now but am now glad I caught them at the Picnic last September. Still as vital as ever- they rocked the place!!!

I hope they put together one last show at Glastonbury this year- perhaps get some of their old mates, contemporaries & cohorts from BITD involved & give Keith a huge send-off?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

Not sure if this has been posted already, this interview with the band is from November 18. Keith looks lost.

• Advertisement

Not sure if this has been posted already, this interview with the band is from November 18. Keith looks lost.

Very sad. In fairness, himself and Maxim were always a bit tentative and quiet when discussing new music as its 100% Liams work and they're not going to critique the mans tunes in front of him.

He looks distracted though yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

I remember meeting him in the toilets in Shannon Airport, I was a part time cleaner putting myself through college.
    Gas man, told me I'm doing a great job cleaning the toilets.

Got a sticker, from Leroy lol

Should have asked for a dance lesson.

I still have the copy of new-year 95 vibe on tape from the point depot.
    Started out with the sound of a helicopter flying.... Maybe ill upload it to YouTube

Tacklebox wrote: »

Started out with the sound of a helicopter flying.... Maybe ill upload it to YouTube

If you had the whole thing that would be a great thing to do. Some of it here but incomplete.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

It could take me a few weeks to find it, but when I do ill try get it up, i think it was on micky macs danceshow, on 2Fm I also have a lot of Radio Friendly tapes to upload.
    Radio friendly was a pirate radio station based in Cork City in the mid 90's
    Stevi G and Greg and Shane used to spin the wheels of steel, back in the time of technics, amongst other great Cork djs....

I seen them in Leisure land Galway a few weeks before that.

Mark Kavanagh and The Fourth Dimension were supporting them.

Keith came on tied up in a straight jacket I think.

The jilted generation....

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Very sad as he was still relatively young and seemed like a nice guy. RIP

As someone who was only into their music from when they first appeared up to Jilted, it’s odd to see him described as their “lead singer” (he was always one of the dancers back in the day and very few of their early tracks had anything that could be described as singing) but I guess it helps the mainstream media to give him a label

EDit wrote: »
    Very sad as he was still relatively young and seemed like a nice guy. RIP

As someone who was only into their music from when they first appeared up to Jilted, it’s odd to see him described as their “lead singer” (he was always one of the dancers back in the day and very few of their early tracks had anything that could be described as singing) but I guess it helps the mainstream media to give him a label

Shows how understated Howlett is when the majority of people seem to think Keith was the creative force behind the band.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Shows how understated Howlett is when the majority of people seem to think Keith was the creative force behind the band.

Liam is the genius behind it, Keith brought it to another dimension in a live/video setting

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Liam is the genius behind it, Keith brought it to another dimension in a live/video setting

Absolutely. Not trying to sell Keith short at all. A vital element to the
    Prodigys pot of chemistry.

Around this period is when he started becoming the star. Must've watched this documentary 300 times.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

This evening I'm going to dust my CD collection off and take out Music For The Jilted Generation and play it at maximum volume in tribute to Keith.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Liam is the genius behind it, Keith brought it to another dimension ...

pay close attention

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Anthonylfc wrote: »
    always looked lost

mashed out of it on drugs most of his life

bet drugs had a hand in the suicide

Had been clean and sober for the last ten years from all accounts and had clocked a personal best in a 5k park run on Sunday - not something you'd be able to do if you were still caning it at 49.

Smack My Bitch up was a superb video with a great twist at the end...

Out at around the same time as Aphex's disturbing Come To Daddy - loved that one too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Had been clean and sober for the last ten years from all accounts and had clocked a personal best in a 5k park run on Sunday - not something you'd be able to do if you were still caning it at 49.

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 282 ✭✭Anthonylfc

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I don't think he'd quit drinking. The last picture taken of him was in the pub after the 5k run enjoying a drink with his trainer.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I was just turned 19 when Jilted was released. I played it to death at the time but playing it now will take me back to my Halcyon Days. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Tacklebox wrote: »
    I remember meeting him in the toilets in Shannon Airport, I was a part time cleaner putting myself through college.
    Gas man, told me I'm doing a great job cleaning the toilets.

Got a sticker, from Leroy lol

Should have asked for a dance lesson.

I’d find that so patronising. It’s all in the delivery though, I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Any time Aaron Ramsey scores, a notable celebrity dies the following day. It has happened 17 times.
    Looked that one up. It's a bit mad in fairness. Two of the "celebrities" are Bin Laden and Gadaffi :pac: but look at some of the others! (Granted, some were old).

Ted Kennedy, Steve Jobs, Whitney Houston, Robin Williams, Paul Walker, David Bowie, Alan Rickman, Nancy Reagan, Chester Bennington, Gregg Allman, Roger Moore, Stephen Hawking, Eric Bristow, Burt Reynolds, George H. W. Bush, Keith Flint and Luke Perry.

The night The Prodigy played Trinity Ball

May 23, 1992: Heaven On Earth at Point Theatre, Dublin
    July 12, 1992: McGonagles, Dublin
    November 13, 1992: Dundonald Ice Rink, Belfast
    November 14, 1992: Station Underground, Portrush, Co Derry
    November 15, 1992: Point Theatre, Dublin
    May 1993 (Exact date unknown): Trinity Ball, Dublin
    August 26, 1993: Theatre Royal, Limerick
    August 27, 1993: Gleneagle Hotel, Killarney
    September 17, 1993: Metroland, Waterford
    September 18, 1993: Tivoli Theatre, Dublin
    December 27, 1993: Xmas Dance 93 at Point Theatre
    December 28, 1993: City Hall, Cork.
    February 25, 1994: Travellers Friend Hotel, Castlebar
    February 26, 1994: Ulster Hall, Belfast
    July 30, 1994: Feile Festival, Thurles
    December 27, 1994: Leisureland, Galway
    December 28, 1994: City Hall, Cork
    December 29, 1994: Sligo Sports Centre, Sligo
    December 30, 1994: King's Hall, Belfast
    December 31, 1994: Point Theatre, Dublin
    January 1, 1995: Metroland, Waterford
    August 4, 1995: Feile Festival, Cork
    December 31, 1995: Point Theatre, Dublin
    August 14, 1996: Pairc Ui Chaoimh, Cork (supporting Oasis)
    August 15, 1996: Pairc Ui Chaoimh, Cork (supporting Oasis)
    December 5, 1996: Point Theatre, Dublin
    December 6, 1996: King's Hall, Belfast
    August 24, 1997: Day Trip To Tipp Festival, Thurles
    July 13, 2002: Witnness Festival, Fairyhouse
    December 10, 2004: Ulster Hall, Belfast
    December 11, 2004: Olympia Theatre, Dublin
    December 12, 2005: Olympia Theatre, Dublin
    July 9, 2005: Oxegen Festival, Punchestown
    November 17, 2005: Point Theatre, Dublin
    November 18, 2005: Odyssey, Belfast
    November 19, 2005: Millstreet Green Glens, Cork
    August 6, 2006: HiFi Festival, Mullingar
    July 12, 2008: Oxegen Festival, Naas
    June 18, 2009: Live at The Marquee, Cork
    June 19, 2009: Live in The Park, Newcastle, Northern Ireland
    June 20, 2009: Slane Castle, Slane (supporting Oasis)
    December 17, 2009: Odyssey, Belfast
    December 18, 2009: O2 Arena, Dublin
    July 11, 2010: Oxegen Festival, Punchestown
    July 2, 2014: Live At The Marquee, Cork
    November 30, 2015: 3 Arena, Dublin
    December 1, 2015: Odyssey, Belfast
    September 2, 2018: Electric Picnic, Stradbally

And just as many dates skiing in Kilternan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

That linked article is such a load of tripe.

Advertisement