Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Border

• 27-10-2018 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭

Seems to be a bit of buzz about this. From the guy who wrote Let The Right One In.

Tina is a border guard who catches more smugglers than her colleagues due to her ability to smell human emotions. When she comes across a mysterious man with a smell that confounds her detection, she is forced to confront hugely disturbing insights about herself and humankind..

Rotten tomatoes: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/border_2018/

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

IIRC this is based on a short story from Lindqvist's collection Let The Old Dreams Die.

I remember the short story being good but not amazing, so am interested to see what they do with the film adaptation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Just watched this it's excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Just watched this it's excellent

Where did you watch it ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

So this is out now in the pictiúrlann.

Saw it a while back and it's an impressive little film. Obviously has this sort of persistent weirdness to it that is sustained even when some of the mysteries are revealed. There's a chilliness to it that meant I wasn't particularly emotionally invested in it - similar to Let The Right One In in that respect, a sort of deadpan sweetness alongside the looming menace.

Make-up is impeccable and it's in general a neat oddity that has a few rough edges but a memorable amount of Nordic strangeness too.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭j.s. pill II

Definately not the kind of movie you'd bring a date on....

That sex scene:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭El Duda

This looks awesome. Where can I watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Catcher7791

El Duda wrote: »
    This looks awesome. Where can I watch?

https://entertainment.ie/cinema/cinema-listings/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

A bit mad. Was weird and uncomfortable viewing at times, not something if normally opt for.
    However, was an interesting concept.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Finally caught this on Mubi - it's available until Sunday, if you still fancy catching it.

I haven't read the story in a long time so can't remember the finer details, but I really enjoyed this - the somewhat dour colour grade meshed nicely with the interiority of Tina's expectations of the life when we're first introduced to her, and the plot meshes without feeling overly contrived. Given aspects of the subject matter it's refreshing to see it approached from a character-first perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Luckily, I watched the trailer after I had watched the film- to see how it was portrayed: if I had seen the trailer first, I would have been expecting a thriller. This was far too slow-paced to be a thriller. If there was a genre here, it was hard to pin down, or at least keep to a minimum; what was on offer here was a unique genre-mash that throws in a few surprises, and some memorable scenes. Despite all this, it still manages to be a relatively simple story, exploring identity and otherness in its own unique way (throwing a spin on a fairy-tale character). I found it very entertaining, mainly in its thoughtful and clever approach.
    The clip shows a quote; that this is “an instant cult classic”. I believe it is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Heads up that this is free to watch on Channel 4’s website at the moment, if you want a bit of arty weirdness to liven up your lockdown ;)

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/border

Advertisement