Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First time driving LHD and auto, tips?

Options
  • 05-03-2019 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

Have to drive a rental in the US shortly, which will be my first time driving a LHD or an auto. Any tips on how to do this, is there any way / need to prepare? It's for work, so basically straight off the plane and into the car.

I've no issues driving a manual RHD in Ireland or the UK, main concern is that I don't drift back into 'RHD mode' in any US urban areas.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Usually you an get stickers to put on windscreen as a reminder? Halfords sell them for people driving to the continent.

Also, don't left foot brake.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Also, don't left foot brake anything.
    In fact, just leave your left foot at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,332 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Have to drive a rental in the US shortly, which will be my first time driving a LHD or an auto. Any tips on how to do this, is there any way / need to prepare? It's for work, so basically straight off the plane and into the car.

I've no issues driving a manual RHD in Ireland or the UK, main concern is that I don't drift back into 'RHD mode' in any US urban areas.

You will find that the auto box is very easy to get used to and you can concentrate on the LHD.
    Your biggest chance of making a mistake is coming out of a restaurant/garage after a break during a journey. If it is on a quiet road it is easy to head off on the wrong side of the road with no other traffic to remind you.
    Take your time setting off on each journey no matter how short and remind yourself of the task in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Open road is mostly easy as there are so many visual cues. Carparks can be tricky, you pull out of a space, reach the end of an aisle and end up nose to nose with a car turning into the aisle.

Other than that, foot on the brake to start and move it from park into drive. When stopping, you'll need it back in park before you can take the keys out.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The handbrake is usually to the left of the steering wheel, under the dash.

Keep one thing in mind; like in Ireland, the traffic will come against you on the side of the car that you're driving in.

When you keep this in mind, it makes things a lot easier. Roundabouts can still be tricky, but there's not many of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Auto driving will make it easier for LHD as you can then concentrate on the driving on the right side of the road thing!

Just remember to tuck your left foot back towards the seat, or on the foot rest near where a clutch would be in a manual. Don't brake with your left foot...

Just remember that you should be nearest to the white line in a two-way street and remember to actually stop at stop signs. You can't just slow down. A complete stop is required. If a cop sees you at that, you'll likely get pulled over for running through a stop sign.

Most states also allow a 'right turn on red' to keep the traffic flowing, kinda like a filter lane. It's usually good to go unless there is a sign specifically saying 'no right turn on red'. Make sure that there are no pedestrians crossing as they will likely have a 'walk' sign in their favour at this time. Check for any other traffic and make your turn.

Driving in the US is pretty easy to be honest. They have road signs for everything. I travelled a lot in the US for work for years and I've been living here for the past 3 and a half years and it's so much more straight forward to drive in the US. My wife never drove in Ireland at all. She took one lesson here and I did a few evenings in an industrial estate kinda lessons with her and a few weeks later she passed her full license driving test (California).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Its very straight forward. Put it in D to drive and in P to park. Autos will roll / pull forward slowly when you dont have your foot on the brake. Important to know when stopped at lights behind traffic. I usually leave my foot on the brake when stopped in traffic during the day.

USA driving is very handy. 4 way stop junctions have a policy of whoever arrives first goes first. A good few 1 way streets in down town city centres so watch for that. Loads of cops as well so watch your speed. Some cop cars have speed guns pointing out the front and back window. 25mph is common for towns / villages.

Ive driven all over the USA and never had issues with going onto the other side of the road. You adapt very quickly. When I was leaving the airport (usually Phoenix) to drive the rental to my hotel etc I tended to follow other traffic due of a bit of nervousness especially when turning onto a new road that could have 3-4 lines in each direction.

Some more good tips here. He says the cops are very hard ball but I found them to be pretty reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭65535

On highways
    Keep Right
    Overtake Left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

You'll be grand. Do nothing with the left foot.

Remember that just like RHD the drivers seat should be closest to the middle of the road.

If you look out the driver side window and see the kerb you're doing it wrong :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

And there are different stop signs....

'All way' or '4 Way' stop sign is first come first served and wait your turn. They will usually have a small sign underneath the stop sign stating this

wheels_web_062118.jpg?zoom=2&resize=782%2C521&ssl=1

Regular stop sign can mean that the traffic that you are attempting to cross does not stop and has right of way. Only proceed if the way is clear. Again there will probably be an additional sign stating this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

One thing...as above STOP at a stop sign, you basically give way depending on who is first.

School buses when the lights are flashing and the stop sign is on, even if on a dual carriage way, you stop until bus turns off lights and the stop sign is removed.

Drive 5mph over and you will be fine. Over 10mph and its dodgy.

In many states you HAVE to move lanes if there is a police car in the hard shoulder or a car with flashing lights.

Failing that, the States is made for driving and it is easy.

P.S. ... you can turn on red in most states unless there is a sign that says you cannot...such a sensible solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭freddieot

You can only turn right on red at some junctions (if its clear) and only after coming to a complete stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Driving easy.

Driving in US not so easy.

Nobody will thank you for letting them pull in/out.

A car will pull across 3 lanes to take an exit.

If there is room for just 1 car In between you and the next car someone will pull into that space.

There is no overtaking or fast lane. They will overtake or undertake whenever it suits then.

Interstate traffic moves fast. Keep up or you get eaten alive.

Right turn on red but if pedestrian is walking on their lights they have right of way.

Oh yeha STOP sigh actually means STOP. Cops seem to be very strict about this one.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I find saying every manoeuvre out loud just before execution, every time for the first few weeks, very handy for avoiding mental drift.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Driving easy.

Driving in US not so easy.

Nobody will thank you for letting them pull in/out.

A car will pull across 3 lanes to take an exit.

If there is room for just 1 car In between you and the next car someone will pull into that space.

There is no overtaking or fast lane. They will overtake or undertake whenever it suits then.

I mean, in the bold sections there you've just described the M50 most days....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

humberklog wrote: »
    I find saying every manoeuvre out loud just before execution, every time for the first few weeks, very handy for avoiding mental drift.

this is surprisingly effective.... I addition, every time I get into the car I would chant out loud 3 times "drive on the right, dirve on the right, dirve on the right"

Sounds daft, but for me it works....

(I used to travel to and drive in the states at least 10 times a year)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Stephenc66

Be extra vigilant on your third or fourth day you will be starting to get the hang of it and that is when complacency creeps in learned habit takes over and mistakes are made.

Also be careful when reaching your destination like a restaurant etc you may be concentrating hard on finding it or the entrance you drift back to RHD mode.

As for Auto as someone has already said tuck you left foot back toward the seat and you will soon be wondering why you don't buy an auto at home

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Also, don't left foot brake.
    Left foot is still useful for hill starts. In places like San Francisco, you can still roll back in D.

And use L or B for steep descents to get some engine braking.
    the_syco wrote: »
    The handbrake is usually to the left of the steering wheel, under the dash.

The parking brake is often a pedal. Took me a few seconds of driving around a car park with the "brake" light on and the car beeping at me to realise this.

Another thing I've found with US-spec cars is that the magnification on the mirrors is crazy compared to what we normally get over here. Something to watch out for when overtaking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Left foot is still useful for hill starts. In places like San Francisco, you can still roll back in D.

And use L or B for steep descents to get some engine braking.

Well, I S'pose figure out what you can to keep steady. But don't use it while attempting to slow down or stop is the general guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

STOP SIGNS.

Totally bring the car to a stop = 0 mph. Count to 3 in your head. then move off.

Stop sign does not mean slow down and keep going - a very nice police officer explained this in great detail 18 years ago.

Diamond lanes on freeway are 'car pool' lanes. ie there needs to be 2 or more people in the car - another very nice police officer explain that another time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭firemansam4

I tried doing this in Iceland for the first time 2 years ago, I was doing OK concentrating to drive on the right for a few days, then just one lapse moment pulling out of a garage I went to the wrong side, luckily there was nobody coming and I quickly realised my mistake.
    After that every time I pulled away in the car I kind of clenched my right hand on the steering wheel saying to myself "go to the right side".
    I never made any more mistakes after that.

Also on driving an auto I found it very easy to hit the brake with my left foot causing the car to brake suddenly, I tried to keep my left foot away from the pedals altogether, and got used to driving the auto quite fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Tazio wrote: »
    Diamond lanes on freeway are 'car pool' lanes. ie there needs to be 2 or more people in the car - another very nice police officer explain that another time.

The amount of people required in the car varies regionally. They're often marked as "HOV" (high occupancy vehicle) lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Also on driving an auto I found it very easy to hit the brake with my left foot causing the car to brake suddenly, I tried to keep my left foot away from the pedals altogether, and got used to driving the auto quite fast.

I think everyone driving an auto for the first time/for the first time in a while has done this! My parents drive an auto, that I drive once or twice a year at best, and every time I always end up holding down the brake with my left foot when starting out of habit (like a clutch pedal) and end up having a lovely jerk forwards.

Once you get going after your first coup of stop and starts you'll be flying, and contemplating if it's worth the switch over when you get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

A lot of the main points already covered here, but a couple more that may be useful depending on where you are driving.

You are only allowed park with the flow of traffic in the US, so you can also gauge whether you're on the right side of the road if all of the cars parked kerbside are pointing in the direction you're going. Also a handy way to realise you've gone completely wrong if you're the only car about and all of the cars lining the road you're driving down are pointing towards you! :P

If there are any roadworks on the highway/freeway, slow down when passing them. there will be signs to warn you, but it's not like here with repeated temporary speed reduction signs and it is actually the norm over there for everyone to slow down quite significantly when passing exposed workers, so don't be that guy/girl.

Be firm but not aggressive. It's normal over there for cars to edge in, zip formation at certain parts of certain roads. Don't be Irish about it and accept that this is the way it's done. Your stress levels will thank you, especially in or around Manhattan or San Fran etc... but also don't be afraid to make progress, otherwise you'll be sitting for quite a while with a lot of angry people leaning on their horns behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭blackbox

When you return home you will stall your manual car at a junction at least once. You will also try to take off from a junction in third or fourth gear.
    :)
    Automatic is great for 95% of driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

I left foot brake my auto, but do not practice it for the first time on the open road. It requires lots of practice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's been nearly 20 years since i drove a LHD auto, but i do remember punching the door several times with my left hand while reaching to change gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Do not park where the kerb is painted red. It is for fire services and like schoolbuses, the cops take it seriously.

Also check up on how to behave when stopped: hands clearly on the wheel,, no sudden movements, wait until spoken to and no harm in using the 'sir' respect thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,142 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

More things worth noting:

- Try and rent a car that has a blind spot monitoring system. It's a blessing especially on multilane roads such as highways and interstates where vehicles pass you on the left or right. Can be difficult enough to see them approach especially in a car you are not used to. The Blind Spot Monitoring system will have a little light in the door mirror glass that will flash when vehicles pass you on the side.

- Paying for fuel with your credit card, most filling stations over there have credit card machines at the pumps which asks for a US zip code as well as the PIN for verification. The US zip code is associated with the credit card owner's registered address and asking for it is just another security measure there. As your credit card is Irish it will not recognise or accept a foreign zip code and will reject the card. This means you will need to go into the filling station and pay for the fuel in advance at the till.

- Tolls. A lot of the tolls especially on the bigger roads are barrier free. With most rental cars the license plate is registered with the toll companies so you will be automatically billed by the car rental company once they receive them from the toll companies. One thing you should note is that in my experience it can take the toll companies up to a week to forward on the tolls to the rental companies so your card can still be charged after your rental is over and your gone home. Toll and rental car companies then add a nice little service charge for this convenience.

- Pedestrian crossings - depends on where you are but in towns and cities, traffic must give way to pedestrians crossing at street intersections. I found it a bit odd at first when crossing a street in parts of Austin, Texas. As soon as you stop to cross the street at the junction where there are no traffic lights, traffic would stop for you to cross. But like anything be alert and just don't walk out on the street assuming they will stop. The flip side is that jaywalking is not tolerated by the police either if caught.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Road works, especially at night will have reduced speed limits. Do not exceed this speed.

Advertisement