Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you do with your race bibs?

Options
  • 04-03-2019 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭

Do you throw them in the bin or keep? I’ve got six years’ worth in a manila folder while I decide what to do. Any ideas? Had a vague plan to wallpaper the jacks with them but the Mrs won’t hear of it. :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

I have finally been allowed my training room/cabin so I've put them in big Ikea frames. Seen it done in a few places. Problem is I've loads of them so will run out of wall soon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

I throw 'em out. Not the sentimental type with regards bibs and medals...... Other things, yes. A good photo is such a great memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Use them and fook them out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

Same as the two lads, toss them after the race. I've a drawer full of medals as well that only ever gets opened to lob another one in that I'll never look at again. The only souvenirs I really keep are medals or trophies that we or I won in running or other sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Exactly the same as ElC. Numbers straight in the bin. Medals chucked into a drawer to be reflected upon in later life when I'm happy with what I've achieved. Haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Bibs in the bin and medals to son, probably buried I'm a toy box then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Ha! Medals hanging from walls similar to the race bibs. I train in a 4m x 3m cell surrounded by reminders of my own failings

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Bibs in the bin (unless its a BHAA race ;) )

Medals - either I dont take them or if I do take them, I look around for a child to hand it to ("Look, Mammy, that strange man in shorts gave me a medal").
    There are a few that have made it into 'The Drawer' - I was in my attic recently and found a lot of medals / plaques from my football playing days starting off at U8's all the way through to senior - brought back good memories and made me wonder about keeping some of my PB medals.

I do have my San Seb medal and my DCM medal last year both hanging up over my 'puter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Medals to the little one, care little for them. Have all my bibs though in chronological order with time written on. Bought a scrapbook for them and plan to stick them in with notes under each. Just for myself really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Paper the training room wall with them behind a large clear plastic pane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

My brother keeps his bibs with notes on the race on the back. I have a training log, strava, garmin for all that.

Marathon medals are in a box, other finisher medals go to the kids or dodged completely.

Race t-shirts I keep for training.

The few medals I have that required beating other people are on a bookcase in the living room, with trophies from the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Funny how quickly the medals came into it. ;)

FWIW, I keep the marathon medals on a bedroom hook. The non-marathon ones are discarded or declined (except one or two - kept the Charleville HM ones). I have a handful of county, province, or national M50+ team and individual gongs on a second hook. I am proud of the latter as they all involved significant hardship and team effort.

Don’t really know why I keep the bibs. Memories, I suppose. I’ll probably put them in a scrapbook at some point. My dad was a runner and I wish he’d kept more of his stuff - apart from a London and Paris Marathon medal and a couple of 80s DCM finisher plaques, and a few dodgy finisher photos there’s nothing left. I know I’d have enjoyed leafing through his training diary, which I know he kept, but hasn’t survived.

So it’s all about memory for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I have a load of race bibs hanging up around my side of the walk-in wardrobe, though they're mostly from my early days of running when I was more sentimental about such things. Also up beside them are a printout of part of dubgal's "Breathe / Run tall / relax / smile" post from the DCM novices 2015 thread and the note that came with the custom novices medal that whoopsadaisydoodles had made for us all (that was quite an intense novices thread!). I don't put bibs up very often these days, DCM made it up along with the one from the (final :( ) Race Series race in Swords, otherwise they just go in the bin. I was recently bought one of those medal holders, which I should really get around to putting up somewhere... otherwise the medals are just hanging unloved beside some unused shirts. They're probably in need of Kondo-ing though.

The bibs and medals from the 4 races that myself, the wife and the kids did at Disneyworld last year are hanging up in the kids playroom, they're pretty colourful and look good hanging up, which is the purpose of the bling from those kind of races I guess :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I put all mine in a big folder and write the date, distance, time, position, etc on the back. Nice to look back at your progress over a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I keep all my bibs and write how the race went on them. Normally most comments are weather related but also if I got a PB and the date of the race. Bibs are all shoved into a drawer. I think I did start a folder at one point but that's now in an attic.

I do have medals but prefer bibs. Again I had a notion of getting medals engraved but mostly for the temp. I swear all HM are run in the heat, or nearly all races as once it is warm it makes it much harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Race numbers go into the bin, even though the waste kills me. The only medals I keep are actual championship medals (which are rare). The last few roads races I've done that have given away a medal or cup, I just haven't taken them. Don't need it clogging up my house. You get some funny looks from the people handing them out but I don't really need a medal for completing the Ballyhobbackwards 5k.

Advertisement