Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keith Flint of The Prodigy RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

What effect did all the drugs have on his mind? I remember an interview in mixmag a long time ago and he was saying his drug of choice was ketamine and liquid ecstasy. Can't be good. There's a lesson there any drug takers.

But would you have got the music without the drugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

dd973 wrote: »
    Neither can I, obviously never knew the bloke personally but his persona always came across as an energetic high on life extrovert, just can't picture him depressed even with the drink and drug lifestyle he was associated with.

A lot of these 'energetic high on life' types suffer from extreme lows. These are the ones we should be looking out for. You really don't know what goes on in people's heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    In my youth, I was a staunch rap fan. Nothing turned my head until I heard Charlie. I secretly listened to the first album non-stop.
    And when Jilted came out, my jaysus, it was more hip hoppy beats in it so my love for The Prodigy was OK.

If I remember correctly, there was a countdown to the new video for Firestarter on MTV and I tuned in to watch it. Keith commanded that video/song from the first couple of frames/bars.
    I listened to a podcast recently with Liam and the story behind the video, absolutely amazing.

RIP Keith.

Can you remember the podcast Bap?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

Thanks for the memories. 14 when I first saw him live, long time ago

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

The Prodigy were one of the first bands I saw live. It would have been around the time Firestarter came out. Great band, wonderful frontman.

RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Ultros

RIP, the Prodigy were legendary during the 90's.

Mindfields indeed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They did a couple of New Year's gigs here over consecutive years in the 90s. My mates went, but I can't remember why I didn't. By the time I wanted to go see them, my mates said they were sick of going to see the Prodigy :rolleyes:

Finally saw them in 2009, great gig. Sad to hear of this. Despite the punk/wildchild persona, he always came across as an incredibly level-headed and intelligent guy. Softly-spoken in sober interviews as well. A bit like Marilyn Manson.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

One of my personal favourites:

This is a weird coincidences.

I was a fan of the prodigy back in the day, seen them play a couple of times but I haven't listened to them in ages - possibly 5 years or so, but for some reason this song popped into my head over the weekend and has been on repeat in there since!

I still haven't actually listened to it, just in my head!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

But would you have got the music without the drugs?

Defo not, but if your still caning it into your 40s troubles ahead I don't know if he still was doing drugs. I think if you asked Keith 25 years ago would he live to 50 hed of laughed at you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Pops 6 dexies…

Hmhmh

Hmhmhm

Hmhmhmh

YES!! HERE WE GO!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I remember them first appearing, they really stood out from the "Sesame's Treat" style rave songs that were out at the time. That first album was great, and Jilted was HUGE around that time - I would say even bigger than the Firestarter era.

Sure, Firestarter got them mainstream success and a breakthrough in the States (where Fat of the Land was number 1) but pretty everyone I knew had Jilted, there'd be a copy in every house you went to. That CD was played at pretty much every party you would be at. 1994 was a great year for music (besides Kurt Cobain's suicide of course).

The video for No Good (Start the Dance) was played endlessly on MTV, and me and my friends used to (half jokingly) try to do the "bendy leg" dance moves that Leeroy and Keith would do. Good times.

I got back into them with Invaders Must Die, and now my kids love them - Omen is my 9 year old's favourite song. So full circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Doc07

I’m very sad today. I loved that band so much as a teenager. Some of the best days of my (pre married and kids) life were spent at Prodigy gigs as they frequently played in Ireland in the 90’s.
    Had a brief chat with Keith when I was a bit older at a gig where Liam was DJ’ing. Even today if a DJ plays an experience or jilted generation era song I start dancing.
    RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭von Smallhausen

He didn't 'pass away', he was killed by his own hand. Very sad.

By his own hand or not, the man still died. Whether you believe it or not (and honestly I couldn't care) his spirit passed on from this plain of existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭bladespin

Sad news, was never the biggest prodigy fan but knew of Keith Flint for other reasons, one of a small few who believed in paying it back, he sponsored and supported many up and coming young riders in motorbike racing, youngsters who might not have had a shot if he hadn't thrown in behind them, mad as a hatter but a great guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I'm so upset since hearing this news, I have been a huge Prodigy fan since 92, even though I was always into guitar music at the time the thing about the Prodigy was they were just different than all the rest of the so called electronic bands of the time....

My first concert I was allowed to see them was trip to Tipp 97, they were so good...

Then in 99 I had the pleasure of meeting with Liam and Keith in the RedBox on my 19th birthday.

I was so starstruck I could barely talk to them, the 2 of them literally calmed me down and made a point of making me feel comfortable, and then chatted to me about music production and DJing for about 10 minutes or so after, after a minute or two I was just talking to 2 normal lads, no airs or graces about them, just solid music head Essex boys...

#ElectronicPunks

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Doc07

RasTa wrote: »
    Shocked. Also seen them in the point in 1996 at the tender age of 15, queuing up for the midnight release of Fat of the Land outside tower records.

Thanks for reminding me. I queued up as well. Was delighted with myself getting a limited edition baseball cap and being 9th person in Ireland to buy the album.

Proud to say not one but 2 Prodigy songs played at my wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,110 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Sad for his family, band and fans. Never a fan of that music scene, but I know Prodigy were huge. And to be fair, even for an uneducated ear such as my own, some of their tunes would be described as "bangers".

I will say though, hearing of the death of someone with a drug habit at a relatively young age (even from suicide) doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Music is the one field where drug use is treated almost as a rite of passage and "glamourised". Not my cup of tea at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

Anthonylfc wrote: »
    drugs for mugs

you have no soul, troll boy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

Sad to hear.

Saw them in an illegal rave, in east london, they had someone in a samurai costume.

In 1991 or so.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

MOD

Folks keep it Civil please and the comments tasteful, If you have a problem with a post report it, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sad for his family, band and fans. Never a fan of that music scene, but I know Prodigy were huge. And to be fair, even for an uneducated ear such as my own, some of their tunes would be described as "bangers".
    Prodigy were a ground-breaker at the time.

The early 90s saw the dance / rave revolution kick off, and it had something of a polarising effect, with real animosity between rockers and ravers. The latter being seen as nothing more than dumb 3-note music for pill-popping idiots.

In Dublin you have the heavy metal bar Fibbers on Parnell St, which during the 90s backed onto another club (which I forget the name), that was a hard dance club. The two were connected by an emergency exit, and every now and again someone would open it, there would be overspill, and a fight would break out between rockers and ravers. Ridiculous stuff.

While the Prodigy at the outset appeared to be just another generic counter-culture rave outfit, they had a slightly darker edge than the day-glo outfits of the eurodance scene.

They proved their musician credentials with Jilted, which successfully bridged the gap between rave and rock. And as one of the few "rave" bands to actually perform on stage (as opposed to just pressing play on the CD player and dancing around like idiots), they attracted fans from all sorts of genres. In the late 90's "Voodoo People" was a regular dancefloor filler in Fibbers. An out and out rave tune that you can mosh to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭von Smallhausen

MOD

Folks keep it Civil please and the comments tasteful, If you have a problem with a post report it, thanks.

Sorry Seph.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

seamus wrote: »
    Prodigy were a ground-breaker at the time.

The early 90s saw the dance / rave revolution kick off, and it had something of a polarising effect, with real animosity between rockers and ravers. The latter being seen as nothing more than dumb 3-note music for pill-popping idiots.

In Dublin you have the heavy metal bar Fibbers on Parnell St, which during the 90s backed onto another club (which I forget the name), that was a hard dance club. The two were connected by an emergency exit, and every now and again someone would open it, there would be overspill, and a fight would break out between rockers and ravers. Ridiculous stuff.

While the Prodigy at the outset appeared to be just another generic counter-culture rave outfit, they had a slightly darker edge than the day-glo outfits of the eurodance scene.

They proved their musician credentials with Jilted, which successfully bridged the gap between rave and rock. And as one of the few "rave" bands to actually perform on stage (as opposed to just pressing play on the CD player and dancing around like idiots), they attracted fans from all sorts of genres. In the late 90's "Voodoo People" was a regular dancefloor filler in Fibbers. An out and out rave tune that you can mosh to.

I think the club at the rear of fibbers was The Sidewalk, there was also one next door to that called the Back gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

There's been times in my life where I haven't felt the best and the type of music the Prodigy produced would help lift me with its incredible energy. RIP Keith and thank you for the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,503 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

They did cross a divide

always loved rock and was a ‘grunger’ loved Pearl Jam Soul Asylum Nirvana etc too.
    But we loved The Prodigy.

Remember seeing the Prodigy in The Point I think it was NYE (unless I’m mistaking it for a different concert) when I was around 15/16

RIP :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

I remember seeing the Prodigy at Feile in '95 and Keith rolled onto stage in the inflatable hamster ball/zorb type thing before bursting out of it and sending the crowd crazy. Great entrance, great show.
    The follow up show in December in Dublin had an expectant crowd waiting to see Keith arrive on stage. The zorb and Keith were catapulted out onto the middle of the stage. The crowd go wild... and then there is a sharp intake of breath as the zorb bounces straight off the front of the stage a plummets down a fairly decent drop. Uh oh, "Keith's in trouble here" thinks everyone... and then it becomes clear as the zorb bounces up again that there's a dummy inside it. The real Keith bounds onto stage and the crowd goes mental. Another cracking show!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Kingp35 wrote: »
    RIP

The Prodigy were an incredible live act. They were brilliant at Slane the year Oasis headlined, Oasis were rubbish in comparison!

I saw the prodigy support oasis in Cork in 1996, first and only time I saw the prodigy but they were awesome live

Advertisement