Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Shane Ross considering letting drink drivers drive to work..

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

I live in rural Ireland no issue with the drink driving laws- it saves lives- be pro life!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Tell me again why our drink drive laws aren't unfairly hurting rural Ireland due to a lack of any public transport if he's even considering this.

The person that drinks and drives are solely responsible for being off the road.

If the only thing in your life is drinking then a lack of public transport is the least of your worries.

Youd swear Ireland was the only country with people living in rural areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Part time ban is ludicrous, anyone who had such a licence would need to be checked every day or be "tagged" so if they turn the key it's "matched" with the tag and the car refuses to start outside the designated times (actually that sounds like a good development until someone can hack it)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The problem is the penalties inflict disproportionate hardship on people outside cities. That fact it's even been proposed says there's a problem. I didn't propose it so no point going after me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Great idea they should introduce a credit based system, the more pints you drink when you're driving, the more free pints you get. Drink and drive after 5 pints, get your next one free.

For anyone thinking I'm being ridiculous, don't worry, they'll refer to breath anyalsyer results to make sure no one is cheating.

ETA: From the article, really? There is a measurable difference between testing over the limit on one occasion and being over the limit that results in a ban...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,295 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

When you come back from a driving ban for drink driving you should have to put D plates on your car for 5 years so other motorists know you are a fool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I’ve a 200km round trip to get to work, do you know what I don’t do when I’ve work in the morning?

I don’t drink so much that I’d be over the limit in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

Apt username op.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Maybe it's just me but it seems a reasonable measure
    Drinkdrivers aren't all raging alcoholics prowling the streets looking for kids to mow down.
    This could allow some of them to keep their jobs.
    The Government is considering allowing convicted drink-drivers to drive to work.
    Officials have been asked to examine a system in operation in New Zealand.
    In New Zealand, a person can apply for a limited licence that would allow them to drive at specific times for specific reasons.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I must admit that I can't help holding Shane Ross in high regard. Every time I think he has reached the maximum stupidity level he always manages to exceed it!

• Advertisement

Uber is the solution to the public transport problem. It's not commercially viable to service rural areas any other way (when I say rural don't think of a house down an county road I'm also referring to towns with thousands of people with no transport services at night or in the morning). That decision is with the NTA and not the RSA. Ross is over both of them about time he grew a pair.
    I'd have no issue with an uber ban in cities as they have transport options.

The problem is the penalties inflict disproportionate hardship on people outside cities. That fact it's even been proposed says there's a problem. I didn't propose it so no point going after me.

Why not advocate for better transport in these areas?

If you would be at least more specific the merits of your position could be argued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

biko wrote: »
    Drinkdrivers aren't all raging alcoholics prowling the streets looking for kids to mow down.

Sure the threat of losing ones job is one of the main deterrents, remove that and you’ll have people willing to take the risk.

Ah, sure I’ll still be able to get to work.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Wouldn't it be easier for them to not drink?
    Are the road safety laws there for everyone or just some people? What's the point in having a road safety policy if you turn around and make exceptions for those you've been saying for years were a danger?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Insurance industry will be licking their lips if this comes in can you imagine the premiums they’ll charge these people

A random thought, what if they were caught drink driving on the way to work? Fine and a ban but then told to carry on?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,510 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Another thought.
    Isn't drink driving a dangerous act?
    Therefore, Should the same idea be applied to drivers that got a driving ban for dangerous driving?

Insurance industry will be licking their lips if this comes in can you imagine the premiums they’ll charge these people

But then the insurance industry will be discriminating against rural people.

There's no end to this bogger bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Hopefully the insurance companies will make it so expensive that if effectively keeps them off the road anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

Its his ludicrous speeding laws he's bringing in that worries me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭strandsman

i agree. a driving ban doesn't impact on a person as hard when they get a luas or bus to work every day. In fact i'd say they are more inclined to drink drive knowing a ban won't be a big issue. People in the rural areas know full well the impact it would have so are less inclined to drink drive . A person living and working in the city or near it won't loose their jobs but a person living in the country possibly will if they have no other means to get to work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

dresden8 wrote:

Living in a rural area wouldn't be one of the nine grounds that you can claim discrimination.

Double negative there old boy.

Just checking how many posters could read before they started foaming at the mouth with rage.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,898 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If you know that something is going to have a major impact on your life why would you risk it? You chose to live in an area that can't be serviced by public transport you should make sure that you don't risk your only method of transport.

It's a bit like when they say that the old lad is just going to the pub for a few pints and for some company and sure the few pints will have no effect. So why bother with the alcohol? Just drink a tea/coffee/soft drink/cordial then and you can still have the company and your licence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

There is a measurable difference between testing over the limit on one occasion and being over the limit that results in a ban.

I don't get it

Living in a rural area wouldn't be one of the nine grounds that you can claim discrimination.

Wont stop them moaning.

dresden8 wrote: »

There's no end to this bogger bull****.

I genuinely think this is the route cause of the problem. Ministers of the government facilitate this them vs US argument. which is used as a reference for an apparent attack on the rural population, when newsflash, it is also an inconvenience for city people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

i think its reasonable.

what is the point in making somebody unemployed due to drink driving and maybe having a family lose their home? more kids on the homeless list?
    likewise some small businesses may rely on a driver/owner if they can't drive that business could fold maybe costing an innocent person their job.
    or if somebody was a carer to an ill person - is it fair that person loses their transport to hospital?
    there are some reasonable examples...

people are posting as if the proposal is to give every driver this partial licence when the investigation at present if that people can apply for one. They would still need to meet some criteria.

If it passes I'd hope it would be strictly enforced and perhaps only available to first time or minor offenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

strandsman wrote: »
    People in the rural areas know full well the impact it would have so are less inclined to drink drive .

And now they’ll be more inclined to drink drive.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

A taxi driver is disproportionately affected by a ban compared to a call centre worker living next door to their job. The answer isnt to let them drive anyway.

If a drink driving ban will badly affect you, dont drink drive.

Advertisement