Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2018-19 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,156 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Hitch2222 wrote: »
    That type of conclusion is way too simplistic and a general deterrent for decent conversation on the topic.
    The loss to Dallas was on them but the Spurs team was excellent.

Conversely he carried the Cavs to a title they never looked like winning so discounting him claim because of "Losing 2 of the 4 finals he appeared in with Miami done that for him" is ridiculous

It's fruitless trying to have the conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

It was electric! Easy to say it's lucky, but I'd say it's more likely Wade would make that than an average player. The accumulation of reps over a long career make it a tiny bit more likely that your one legged off balance prayer chuck banks in! Much like Kobe's a few years back towards the end of his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭jonok28

Really glad D Wade is having fun this season, he looks like he is enjoying his basketball and is playing with a freedom of knowing that this is it, I've seen a few games this season and he still looks like he's got it but I'd rather see him retire before he is a complete shell of himself.

I kinda feel bad for Dirk, he hasn't made any announcement about his retirement but is getting a farewell tour anyway, he truly looks at times that he can barely move up and down the floor, he probably should have called it a day a season or two ago but he was a great player who was really enjoyable to watch.

Wade is still just about a positive contributor overall, while obviously deficient in certain aspects of his game at this stage. But he's worthy of the minutes he's getting. If he wanted to continue he could, and were his mindset right he could be a piece on a competitive team or a 'name' for a team looking to lose who helps keeps the stands half full.

Dirk is awful, and probably shouldn't be on the floor at all. And he was perfectly serviceable last year (contract aside). The cliff edge has been reached.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hitch2222

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Wade is still just about a positive contributor overall, while obviously deficient in certain aspects of his game at this stage. But he's worthy of the minutes he's getting. If he wanted to continue he could, and were his mindset right he could be a piece on a competitive team or a 'name' for a team looking to lose who helps keeps the stands half full.

Dirk is awful, and probably shouldn't be on the floor at all. And he was perfectly serviceable last year (contract aside). The cliff edge has been reached.

I agree he could take a roster spot next year and get paid while sitting but should retire. I guess he could help transition the organisation with KP & Doncic but that's about it.
    The Mavs have had some off the court stuff too so perhaps using next year as Dirks swansong might help take some of the glare off that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

nsyICXU.jpg

Nice graph that illustrates conclusively what we all know. The mid range 2 pt jumper is dead. It is fascinating how American sports have allowed data to influence their sports over the past two decades. And these trends become self perpetuating as the selection process whittles away styles that don't fit the new understanding of efficiency and influences the game all the way down.

If you watch old tape from the 80' and 90's it really was a completely different game. Bad shot selection, bad defence, greater physical specificity. In many ways it's a great time to be an NBA fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

That is actually fascinating. Obviously the game has changed but to see it like that is something else altogether.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    If you watch old tape from the 80' and 90's it really was a completely different game. Bad shot selection, bad defence, greater physical specificity. In many ways it's a great time to be an NBA fan.

A lot of that is true but there isn't much in the NBA as satisfying as watching a big man school someone in the post.
    Embiid, Al Jefferson & even Jahlil Okafor do it on occasion and it's great to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,562 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Guys don't shoot mid-range anymore because they have nothing to fear driving into the paint, it's so easy to draw fouls now that even when they're up against the best of the best rim protectors they'd rather drive every time than pull up.

Pau has agreed a buyout with the Spurs and is signing for the Bucks, per Woj.

Quadruple OT in Bulls-Hawks game, I suspect Vince Carter can't walk today after logging 45 mins of play.

Trae Young is really beginning to shine. I know everyone's numbers are inflated but I think he's really beginning to play well.

Feb numbers look like 23.3 4.3 9.3 on 44% from deep

STOP WINNING GAMES CHICAGO FFS! :pac:

Lakers lose again, albeit to the Bucks, but their schedule isn't getting any easier. 10th place and 3.5 games out of the playoffs with their remaining schedule including:

Clippers x2
    Nuggets
    Celtics
    Raptors
    Bucks
    Nets
    Jazz x2
    Thunder
    Warriors
    Blazers

They only have 6 remaining games against teams not currently in playoff spots.

It'd be great if the Bulls got Ja Morant in the draft. Lavine and Lauri Legend are a joy to watch.

Pistons/Cavs being streamed by Sky on YT later for anyone very idle for the night. 10pm start.

Angliru wrote: »
    Pistons/Cavs being streamed by Sky on YT later for anyone very idle for the night. 10pm start.

Half time Detroit are winning 71-38, what a weird game to broadcast.

Lakers lose to the Suns and are now 4.5 games back from the 8th seed :D:D:D

Lakers lose to the Suns and are now 4.5 games back from the 8th seed :D:D:D

I think it's somewhat tongue in cheek but I never quite understand the pleasure people get from seeing a team falter.
    It's so counter-intuitive to me, I think if the Lakers miss the playoffs it's a genuine shame as we miss seeing LBJ at his best.
    He's not around for that much longer, it'll be a long time before we see another Top 5 player ever enter the league so everyone should be routing for them to make the playoffs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Norm Peterson

I think it's somewhat tongue in cheek but I never quite understand the pleasure people get from seeing a team falter.
    It's so counter-intuitive to me, I think if the Lakers miss the playoffs it's a genuine shame as we miss seeing LBJ at his best.
    He's not around for that much longer, it'll be a long time before we see another Top 5 player ever enter the league so everyone should be routing for them to make the playoffs.

LeBron James is great but we've had years of him now and regardless of how good someone is it's always nice to see change.

Also LeBron is clearly not as popular as some want to think he is.

Constantly moving teams, undermining his coaches all throughout his career , undermining the franchises he's played for by only signing short term deals, hasn't made him as endearing to a lot of people. Add to that the excessive coverage of him in the american sports media, we might get a break from the LeBron narrative for a while if he misses the playoffs.

People hate Tom Brady and the Patriots , people hate Ronaldo, lots of people used to hate Tiger Woods aswell . Nothing unusual about people wanting the top stars to fail in any sport.

LeBron James is great but we've had years of him now and regardless of how good someone is it's always nice to see change.

Constantly moving teams, undermining his coaches all throughout his career , undermining the franchises he's played for by only signing short term deals, hasn't made him as endearing to a lot of people. Add to that the excessive coverage of him in the american sports media, we might get a break from the LeBron narrative for a while if he misses the playoffs.

People hate Tom Brady and the Patriots , people hate Ronaldo, lots of people used to hate Tiger Woods aswell . Nothing unusual about people wanting the top stars to fail in any sport.

Yeah sorry I buy absolutely none of that.

The idea that sports fans care more about the media driven narrative of athletes peripheral endeavours and idiosyncrasies is true and ubiquitous but that doesn't make it any less ridiculous.
    The sheer idea that supposed fans care more about non-athletic related activities than the enjoyment of the sport itself says more about the fans than the athlete they despise.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

If LBJ hadn't gotten hurt, they'd be a 5-7th seed.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    If LBJ hadn't gotten hurt, they'd be a 5-7th seed.

Probably, it still doesn't take away from why people aren't exactly disappointed the Lakers won't make the playoffs.

Probably, it still doesn't take away from why people aren't exactly disappointed the Lakers won't make the playoffs.

It is quite astounding how many basketball "fans" would prefer the best players not play on the biggest stage because they don't like their off court behaviour.

This would generally be the moment the "LBJ fanboi" type comments come flooding in but the athlete is irrelevant as you alluded to, it's consistent across sport

Don't like the Lakers at all but not seeing LBJ in the playoffs is a shame. He's no longer the #1 player in the league but I wouldn't put a player above him when it comes to the playoffs still.

It is quite astounding how many basketball "fans" would prefer the best players not play on the biggest stage because they don't like their off court behaviour.

This would generally be the moment the "LBJ fanboi" type comments come flooding in but the athlete is irrelevant as you alluded to, it's consistent across sport

That's the way life is.

Regardless of how great a player may be people get sick of them for various reasons.

Very Very few players (if any) in any sport maintain popularity all throughout their careers to the point where nobody gets sick of them or likes seeing them fail.

That's the way life is.

Regardless of how great a player may be people get sick of them for various reasons.

Very Very few players (if any) in any sport maintain popularity all throughout their careers to the point where nobody gets sick of them or likes seeing them fail.

Yep and although very few reach the relative heights of LBJ, it shows fans are strangely fickle in the face of logic.

What a disastrous season for the Lakers this has been.

LeBron’s injury, no playoffs, and half of the team alienated as a result of a failed trade for Davis.

• Advertisement

Angliru wrote: »
    It'd be great if the Bulls got Ja Morant in the draft. Lavine and Lauri Legend are a joy to watch.

If they’d stop winning games they’d have a chance! :pac:

Presuming we don’t get #1 and Zion is gone, Morant would be the next best choice for the Bulls. He looks like he’d be a great fit and in a position of need.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement