Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2018-19 Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hitch2222

Morrison J wrote: »
    Giannis is definitely great value for MVP. I got 3/1 on him a couple of weeks ago. People love to hate Harden's game and once the scoring streak ends which should be soon with Paul and Capela back the MVP talk will cool down on him. Harsh because I think what he's done is absolutely amazing but Giannis is the more popular guy and the Bucks are probably going to hit 60 wins. Think George has peaked far too late to genuinely get into the conversation. Would need a massive last few months.

I agree I thought 3s were big the other day even some 7/2 about but I didn't pull the trigger. Is Giannis a 25% shot to win MVP, I don't think anyone would say that is the case, even at 2s, the probability is likely greater than 33%.

My illogical reason for not backing Giannis is I've invested in PG at 16s, 22s, 25s and I'm swinging for the fences.
    I'm happy to stand pat for now, If he shortens further and the probability he wins gets real then I'll likely lay off but right now I'm happy to enjoy a sweat without too much invested and his price shortening.

Overall I simply think Harden is a lay at 1/2, the probability he wins is not 66%

I know I'm going to be bias now till the end of the season so beware but Paul George defending Mitchell on the last 2 plays in the 4th quarter to send the game to OT. Forces the block on Mitchell, his ability to stay in front and so close to someone as quick as Mitchell is just unbelievable.

Great finish in double OT, Westbrook fouls out, PG13 gets the defensive rebound with 10secs to go splits the defence at the top of key, drives and a high rainbow floater over Gobert to give OKC the win.
    It's these of performances he needs to really get into MVP conversation 45-9-7

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Porter Jr has played really well for the Bulls since joining.

He’s probably the ideal type of player to throw in with a young core to assist them in starting to improve and win, but somewhat ironically, unfortunately his performances are leading to wins and taking us further out of contention for the #1 pick.

He’d have been a much more timely acquisition next season IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Hitch2222 wrote: »
    I know I'm going to be bias now till the end of the season so beware but Paul George defending Mitchell on the last 2 plays in the 4th quarter to send the game to OT. Forces the block on Mitchell, his ability to stay in front and so close to someone as quick as Mitchell is just unbelievable.

Great finish in double OT, Westbrook fouls out, PG13 gets the defensive rebound with 10secs to go splits the defence at the top of key, drives and a high rainbow floater over Gobert to give OKC the win.
    It's these of performances he needs to really get into MVP conversation 45-9-7

I thought Westbrook should have won it in regulation.
    Had the ball on the top of the key with 4 seconds left, instead of taking it to the basket he pulls up for a lower % jumper.
    If you want anyone taking jumpers to win a game on that OKC team just give the ball to PG13, simple...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,611 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Blazers @ Sixers on in an hour or so if anyone's looking for a rare game that starts before midnight, on sky sports if you've got it too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

Blazers @ Sixers on in an hour or so if anyone's looking for a rare game that starts before midnight, on sky sports if you've got it too

Also being streamed on Sky Sports YouTube channel for free. They've been streaming a free game there usually every second Saturday or sometimes every Saturday, usually a 9 or 10ish start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Morrison J

If Paul can play like that consistently the Rockets can put it up to the Warriors in the playoffs like they did last year. Just beat them with no Harden. 3-0 against the Warriors for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

The Kings are playing really hard, a great win last night against OKC, hopefully they can make the playoffs.

Lakers still pretty far out of the playoffs with 23 games to go, consensus seems to be that it'll take about 46 wins to make the 8th seed meaning the Lakers at 29-30 will have to win 17 of their remaining 23 games. They're not facing many tanking teams either, 15 of those games come against teams currently in playoff spots including the Raptors, Bucks x2, Warriors, and OKC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Anyone want to guess how much I sold my warriors tickets for last nights game ...not being “look at me” , couldn’t care less but the state of ticket prices is just shocking, only player I’ve heard talk about it is lillard

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

What will sky sports playoff coverage be like I wonder . Are they only going to show one game a night or will they show multiple .It would be better on Saturdays as well if they showed the primetime game at 1.30 instead of some earlier game between two bad teams .

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭bot43

Anyone want to guess how much I sold my warriors tickets for last nights game ...not being “look at me” , couldn’t care less but the state of ticket prices is just shocking, only player I’ve heard talk about it is lillard

Three fiddy?

Someone answer a question for me. Marcin Gortat got waived by the Clippers. He says he is now holding out for a contract from GSW.

Isn't that a bit like Jermaine Defoe being released from Sunderland and holding out for a contract from Man City?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,236 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Lakers still pretty far out of the playoffs with 23 games to go, consensus seems to be that it'll take about 46 wins to make the 8th seed meaning the Lakers at 29-30 will have to win 17 of their remaining 23 games. They're not facing many tanking teams either, 15 of those games come against teams currently in playoff spots including the Raptors, Bucks x2, Warriors, and OKC.

They are significant favourites to miss out at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭jonok28

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    They are significant favourites to miss out at this point.

They deserve to miss out and I'm a Lakers fan, they are a badly built team with great shooters, they could have kept Brook Lopez and Julius Randle and DeMarcus Cousins at the same rate he is on now at Golden State and said no to all three. Luke Walton and his poor rotations deserve some of the blame and Lebron missing 15+ game really sent our season into a tail spin but they really need formulate a game plan this off season and implement it because you can't waste the last good years of Lebron's prime not making the playoffs.

Walton has to go, clearly not up to what is required. They need help in the summer and with that secured and the right coach they might be able to make a run.

bot43 wrote: »
    Three fiddy?

Someone answer a question for me. Marcin Gortat got waived by the Clippers. He says he is now holding out for a contract from GSW.

Isn't that a bit like Jermaine Defoe being released from Sunderland and holding out for a contract from Man City?

$1000 for all three tickets, so yep ! Crazy for regular season game. The whole thing is just crazy.
    Gortat would be an excellent pickup for Warriors but not sure hiw feasible that is

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭bot43

How much are they face value?

Re Gortat - he is a free agent so why would it not be feasible?

bot43 wrote: »
    How much are they face value?

Re Gortat - he is a free agent so why would it not be feasible?

$170 each face value, lower level and decent seats but nothing is worth those prices

Sorry, feasible is the wrong word, I am not sure if the Warriors would want him, I know they wanted Lopez but that might not happen

https://twitter.com/bengolliver/status/1100245282078416896?s=21

I feel he needs to take some responsibility for creating those distractions but publically trying (and subsequently failing) to trade half of his team!

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/bengolliver/status/1100245282078416896?s=21

I feel he needs to take some responsibility for creating those distractions but publically trying (and subsequently failing) to trade half of his team!

I agree, obviously to reach the professional level at a sport it is incredibly difficult and you need a certain mindset but within that group a different caliber of mindset exists once again.

One failure of the top athletes which is not unique to LBJ is that they can't quite comprehend how other's who have reached this level don't share their unrelenting desire to succeed.

LBJ has never had to deal with the possibility of being traded and what that might do to his psyche. I genuinely think that he may be somewhat oblivious to the ramifications of his actions.

He simply approaches this with a mindset of "Well that happened last month, this is what we have so lets get on with it" and other players -rightly or wrongly- do not have the ability to simply turn it after this has occurred.

I think if winning titles was still LeBron's #1 priority he'd have gone to Philly or Houston. I'm not saying he's given up on basketball, not even close, but I think he's content with the idea of never winning another title, he's in LA for the lifestyle, not because he thought they were the best team for him.

Also Doc Rivers did something I've never seen before last night, 10 seconds to go in a game vs the Mavs, score is out of reach so they're just running the clock out, Doc calls a time out to get on the announcers mic and gets the crowd to give Dirk a standing ovation. It's a nice moment but it's also funny to me that Dirk has never said he plans on retiring, things like this and the All Star spot are kinda just pushing him out of the league :p

I think if winning titles was still LeBron's #1 priority he'd have gone to Philly or Houston. I'm not saying he's given up on basketball, not even close, but I think he's content with the idea of never winning another title, he's in LA for the lifestyle, not because he thought they were the best team for him.

Also Doc Rivers did something I've never seen before last night, 10 seconds to go in a game vs the Mavs, score is out of reach so they're just running the clock out, Doc calls a time out to get on the announcers mic and gets the crowd to give Dirk a standing ovation. It's a nice moment but it's also funny to me that Dirk has never said he plans on retiring, things like this and the All Star spot are kinda just pushing him out of the league :p

I think Lebron is still very much about winning and him non stop complaining kinda proves that, but he definitely is setting himself up for his future endeavors, Lebron wants to be a billionaire and wants to be bigger than Jordan and I think being in LA probably put him in the best position to do that.

He said as much a couple of months ago, he feels like he's achieved everything and anything from here is a bonus. Just by finishing out his contract with the Lakers and playing another couple of years after he's going to end up atop the all time list for points. He's still playing hard, though there is a definite drop off in production from last year.

His injury was too much for this roster and coach to overcome and it looks like they'll miss out on the playoffs because of it. For the Lakers need to compete, they need an AD or a Kawhi that LeBron can fit beside and build out around for a few years. Time is undefeated, and LeBron is in his 35th year. His impact when on the court is going to diminish from here and he is going to face longer absences more frequently.

I expect they will try and achieve that this summer, they have the room and the flexibility to make something happen. But there is no doubt that LeBron's move to LA was with a longer term beyond basketball in mind. It's not clear to me what his next moves post basketball will be but I'm sure he has some ideas. If you're going to do stuff in entertainment, LA is the place to be.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    He said as much a couple of months ago, he feels like he's achieved everything and anything from here is a bonus. Just by finishing out his contract with the Lakers and playing another couple of years after he's going to end up atop the all time list for points. He's still playing hard, though there is a definite drop off in production from last year.

His injury was too much for this roster and coach to overcome and it looks like they'll miss out on the playoffs because of it. For the Lakers need to compete, they need an AD or a Kawhi that LeBron can fit beside and build out around for a few years. Time is undefeated, and LeBron is in his 35th year. His impact when on the court is going to diminish from here and he is going to face longer absences more frequently.

I expect they will try and achieve that this summer, they have the room and the flexibility to make something happen. But there is no doubt that LeBron's move to LA was with a longer term beyond basketball in mind. It's not clear to me what his next moves post basketball will be but I'm sure he has some ideas. If you're going to do stuff in entertainment, LA is the place to be.

Obviously what he has achieved thus far is amazing. He's on Mt Rushmore comfortably, it's a 2-GOAT race and all doubts about him have been answered.
    That said, I don't quite buy that he sees results in LA as icing on the cake. He wants to known as the GOAT.
    I think he went there knowing that if he wants to pass MJ in the minds of everyone he needs to win there as the best player.
    It doesn't need to be 6 championships and 5 MVPs. Just because MJ did it that doesn't mean it's the only way but I think he knows he needs a little more.

I see him having one more year where he can be the best player on a championship team and that success will depend on who the Lakers acquire and what happens with a number of players in GSW.

The decision was certainly made with a longer plan in his mind but bringing a championship to LA and having the Lakers fans pushing hard for you in the GOAT conversation will add some weight to the narrative.

Obviously what he has achieved thus far is amazing. He's on Mt Rushmore comfortably, it's a 2-GOAT race and all doubts about him have been answered.
    That said, I don't quite buy that he sees results in LA as icing on the cake. He wants to known as the GOAT.
    I think he went there knowing that if he wants to pass MJ in the minds of everyone he needs to win there as the best player.
    It doesn't need to be 6 championships and 5 MVPs. Just because MJ did it that doesn't mean it's the only way but I think he knows he needs a little more.

I see him having one more year where he can be the best player on a championship team and that success will depend on who the Lakers acquire and what happens with a number of players in GSW.

The decision was certainly made with a longer plan in his mind but bringing a championship to LA and having the Lakers fans pushing hard for you in the GOAT conversation will add some weight to the narrative.

I think Lebron coming to LA is a mutual stepping stone for both parties. Lebron gets to expand his empire and try compete for a championship (Next Season). LA gets the Superstar they always crave and they get someone in Lebron who can attract Free Agents for the long term like Anthony Davis.

I think the Lakers will do everything in their power to get a Superstar this off season ( I still think they have a decent chance at Kawhi, Kawhi never ruled out the Lakers) and try and compete against the Warriors. My guess is they sign a Max guy in Free agency and with the salary adjustments for each of the young core they should have just enough money to trade for Anthony Davis.

Lonzo $8,719,320.00
    Ingram $7,265,485.00
    Wagner $2,066,040.00
    Lottery pick $2,812,800
    Hart $1,934,160.00
    Total $21,959,605.00

I think that Kyrie and Durant will go to New York and the Celtics will take Tatum out of the deal and Davis won't go there. The Lakers will hand over the young core ( Minus Kyle Kuzma) and will land Davis.

I really think the Lakers are going to swing for the fences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Norm Peterson

Lebron's claim as the goat is gone.

Losing 2 of the 4 finals he appeared in with Miami done that for him.With the team he had around him then there were no excuses.

Lebron's claim as the goat is gone.

Losing 2 of the 4 finals he appeared in with Miami done that for him.With the team he had around him then there were no excuses.

That type of conclusion is way too simplistic and a general deterrent for decent conversation on the topic.
    The loss to Dallas was on them but the Spurs team was excellent.

Conversely he carried the Cavs to a title they never looked like winning so discounting him claim because of "Losing 2 of the 4 finals he appeared in with Miami done that for him" is ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Norm Peterson

That type of conclusion is way too simplistic and a general deterrent for decent conversation on the topic.
    The loss to Dallas was on them but the Spurs team was excellent.

Conversely he carried the Cavs to a title they never looked like winning so discounting him claim because of "Losing 2 of the 4 finals he appeared in with Miami done that for him" is ridiculous

If you're talking about greatest of all time surely the standards have to be ridiculously high and therefore stuff like that does count heavily against him.

Fair enough the Spurs were a good team but the loss to Dallas was truly dreadful.

• Advertisement

If you're talking about greatest of all time surely the standards have to be ridiculously high and therefore stuff like that does count heavily against him.

Fair enough the Spurs were a good team but the loss to Dallas was truly dreadful.

Yes, the standards are ridiculously high but the idea that he is immediately discounted from the conversation because he lost some finals isn't fair imo.
    His conversion rate isn't as high as others but he has also ran into "arguably" the best team of all time so losses are relative.
    I agree though Dallas loss was poor.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement