Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Captain Marvel (2019)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,980 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Plus, people taking about studios "politicising" films really need to sit down and watch some Hollywood movies from the 40s or 50s, or Chinese films from today (wolf warrior 2 perhaps). Those American "red scare" movies were a sight to behold

Hollywood isn't politicised, it has never been less political, by dint of the fact American politics no long export very well, and the need to keep things harmlessly pg13...

pixelburp wrote: »
    ...in your opinion. Hype is hype, ain't nothing I can do about that, but I enjoyed Black Panther, despite its flaws.

I get there's a desire to kick back against the cultural element that held BP to a higher standard than the rest of the MCU, but it still was a good movie in its own right.

Art may not exist in a vacuum, but that doesn't mean everything has to be held up against some cultural or political context, perceived or otherwise.

It was an alright film. I enjoyed it but left me a bit cold

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

...in your opinion. Hype is hype, ain't nothing I can do about that, but I enjoyed Black Panther, despite its flaws.

I get there's a desire to kick back against the cultural element that held BP to a higher standard than the rest of the MCU, but it still was a good movie in its own right.

Art may not exist in a vacuum, but that doesn't mean everything has to be held up against some cultural or political context, perceived or otherwise.

Well i hadn't seen it but others have said it was an ok film but made into an epic crusade because people forget that blade exists.

The actors themselves not the studios are bringing the politics into it. As i said already if you do that it can bring ect noise to a film that isn't needed.

Plus, people taking about studios "politicising" films really need to sit down and watch some Hollywood movies from the 40s or 50s, or Chinese films from today (wolf warrior 2 perhaps). Those American "red scare" movies were a sight to behold

Hollywood isn't politicised, it has never been less political, by dint of the fact American politics no long export very well, and the need to keep things harmlessly pg13...

In your opinion yes its not politicized. However as i said above the actors themselves are bringing the politics into it which has resulted in all the trolling ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Calhoun wrote: »
    It's like with anything be it game development or making film's, I would have it in the contract for employees to limit politics to their own time.

I don't care if she is male or female it could be anybody introducing politics and it says more about you that you thought I was talking about the sex of the individual.

Perhaps Brie has been overdoing it in terms of her "agenda" I haven't really been following it but the fact that she or any woman sees this as political says a lot. It should be a non-issue like others have said but unfortunately we, as a society, aren't there yet. As for it being in contracts to keep their politics to their own time, unless their politics negatively impact their work or goes against the views of their employer then I don't see an issue. They are citizens and have a right to voice their opinions on society and politics.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,980 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well i hadn't seen it but others have said it was an ok film but made into an epic crusade because people forget that blade exists.

The actors themselves not the studios are bringing the politics into it. As i said already if you do that it can bring ect noise to a film that isn't needed.

Wait, maybe I'm misreading but are you saying you saying you haven't actually seen Black Panther? If so, it negates talking about hype ;)

If the actors want to big up the cultural importance or significance of something like BP, bully for them. It has no effect on the audience, only if they let it.

Wait, maybe I'm misreading but are you saying you saying you haven't actually seen Black Panther? If so, it negates talking about hype ;)

If the actors want to big up the cultural importance or significance of something like BP, bully for them. It has no effect on the audience, only if they let it.

I said above i hadn't seen it but read from those who had that it was a good film but not as good as its made out to be. I am waiting to watch it when i get caught up on the rest of the MCU watching them in order.

Unless that makes me ineligible to talk about it at all?

My point is that actors being political and using their press spots for films to sell a political narrative is what leads to all the back and forth stuff/trolling of the likes of rotten tomatoes..

I said above i hadn't seen it but read from those who had that it was a good film but not as good as its made out to be. I am waiting to watch it when i get caught up on the rest of the MCU watching them in order.

My point is that actors being political and using their press spots for films to sell a political narrative is what leads to all the back and forth stuff/trolling of the likes of rotten tomatoes..

I think it makes it a little disengenous to rail against something living up to hype if you haven't watched it. Though to be honest sounds like you've prejudged the film so can't see how it would live up to the hype.

And no, I don't buy this idea that the actors are at fault; that's tangential to victim blaming. The snowflake sh*theads losing their minds, because a bunch of black actors are stoked over a black-centric superhero film, are the bad guys here.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Perhaps Brie has been overdoing it in terms of her "agenda" I haven't really been following it but the fact that she or any woman sees this as political says a lot. It should be a non-issue like others have said but unfortunately we, as a society, aren't there yet. As for it being in contracts to keep their politics to their own time, unless their politics negatively impact their work or goes against the views of their employer then I don't see an issue. They are citizens and have a right to voice their opinions on society and politics.

Why wasn't wonder woman a big political statement? I suppose it says allot if your into the social justice politics.

We definitely aren't there yet and when the crux of your politics is to attack another sex/race well then i don't think we will ever get there.

They have the right to voice their opinions on their own time but if they do it on the company dime or say something that is over the top then of course the company will be negatively impacted. Look at the fallout from the Liam Neeson interview.

I think it makes it a little disengenous to rail against something living up to hype if you haven't watched it. Though to be honest sounds like you've prejudged the film so can't see how it would live up to the hype.

And no, I don't buy this idea that the actors are at fault; that's tangential to victim blaming. The snowflake sh*theads losing their minds, because a bunch of black actors are stoked over a black-centric superhero film, are the bad guys here.

Seems a little disingenuous to dismiss any conversation because it doesn't fit with your political viewpoint on a film. Sounds like your nit picking and getting defensive because i obviously don't align with your political view .

You don't have to buy anything your opinion is your own. So keep being woke.

• Advertisement

Seems a little disingenuous to dismiss any conversation because it doesn't fit with your political viewpoint on a film. Sounds like your nit picking and getting defensive because i obviously don't align with your political view .

Give over. You haven't seen a film, yet decide it doesn't live up to the hype. You can't see the obvious contradiction in that line of thinking?

You're the one who declared "Was black panther really as good as the hype? the answer is no" like it's a fact. As you say, our opinions are our own, so maybe leave the statements of objectivity when... you know, you haven't the film ;)

Ain't nothing to do with politics, so drop the ad hominems

kerplun k wrote: »
    Are they tho? Or is that you creating something that’s not there due to influence from social media.

Well if you look at ghost busters as an example, that at the time was fairly toxic was that all the internet or was the director stirring it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I’m sorry, but what political view? You’re the only one mentioning a political view here....and this is exactly the thing I was talking about. You have opinions on a film you’ve never seen before.. your associating that film with a political hotpoint, and here we are chatting about everything but the actual film.

For me this type of trend diminishes the conversation we have about film.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Can't recall where I read it, but apparently Fury
    will lose his right eye in the film
    at some point during the film and paying off the
    "last time I trusted someone I lost an eye"
    line from Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,225 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

So keep being woke.

Mod note: Calhoun, please lay off the unnecessary hostility. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Well if you look at ghost busters as an example, that at the time was fairly toxic was that all the internet or was the director stirring it as well.

To be fair to Paul Feig, he had a point, there was so much hate for this film on social media before it was even released, and the criticism that came after it was released had nothing to do with the film quality and probably came from people that never saw it, which is exactly the issue I’m talking about. The kicker with Ghostbusters is that it was actually a poor film.

Give over. You haven't seen a film, yet decide it doesn't live up to the hype. You can't see the obvious contradiction in that line of thinking?

You're the one who declared "Was black panther really as good as the hype? the answer is no" like it's a fact. As you say, our opinions are our own, so maybe leave the statements of objectivity when... you know, you haven't the film ;)

Ain't nothing to do with politics, so you drop the ad hominems

Give over yourself, you came in guns blazing as soon as i spoke about black panther.

From what i have read online the film is good but not one of the best the MCU has to offer. Maybe i should have stated that was where i was coming from, i will know more once i watch it.

Ok my apologies so, i wasn't sure where you were coming from.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Can't recall where I read it, but apparently Fury
    will lose his right eye in the film
    at some point during the film and paying off the
    "last time I trusted someone I lost an eye"
    line from Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

That is one of the things i am so looking forward to, cannot wait to see how that happens.

kerplun k wrote: »
    To be fair to Paul Feig, he had a point, there was so much hate for this film on social media before it was even released, and the criticism that came after it was released had nothing to do with the film quality and probably came from people that never saw it, which is exactly the issue I’m talking about. The kicker with Ghostbusters is that it was actually a poor film.

I suppose it goes back to what you were saying, is it real stuff or is it the age of the internet causing allot of fake drama around film releases.

I suppose to enjoy films it may take just disconnecting from social media entirely.

Whats the deal with goose, does he have some powers? His live stream was great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

That is one of the things i am so looking forward to, cannot wait to see how that happens.

My guess is gonna be
    Goose the cat will scratch/claw it out

Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing it..

Ok i googled
    goose and holy crap the thing it really is scary. Its like a an alien stuffed into a cat with tentacles

I am looking forward to the origin storyish of Nick Fury, i wish they had a film dedicated to him would love to understand how he got his powers (in film form have read up on them).

I think the big benefit that this film brings is that its the gateway to the next phase in the MCU. Was a bit gutted when Chris Evans was hanging up his hat earlier in the year as he just is cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

it just seems to be a movie nobody really wanted, a Black Widow movie would have been better. Seems like Disney may have learned from Ghostbusters and havnt doubled down on attacking the fans, though hilarious if they actually put pressure on Rotten Tomatoes to close down their comments section on the movie, like that will work. Im sure the movie will do well but maybe not as well as they were hoping for.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    it just seems to be a movie nobody really wanted, a Black Widow movie would have been better. Seems like Disney may have learned from Ghostbusters and havnt doubled down on attacking the fans, though hilarious if they actually put pressure on Rotten Tomatoes to close down their comments section on the movie, like that will work. Im sure the movie will do well but maybe not as well as they were hoping for.

It's not just for this film; RT have disabled comments for everything before it's released (they're also removing the 'want to see' badge too). Which IMO is a good move and long overdue; anonymous people on the internet are the worst, and the site was being used as a cheap 'review bomb' tactic by every hyperbolic 'fan' with an axe to grind.

Why is Captain Marvel such a controversial super hero? From what I have picked up reading about the topic apparently as a marvel character is concerned the character is not as well known or liked.

I'd love a black widow origin that had some of hawkeye in it explaining why they are so close.

I am also 100% sure that RT closed down the site stuff themselves, it makes no commercial sense to have something that can be abused as a weapon on your site.

All well and good when the film is out but before that makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,372 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

But trolling is something that is baselessly sh1tty. It is being negative for the sake of getting a rise, it is an attempt to rip on people for your own amusement etc.

Yet you seem to be equating speaking politics and trolling as two sides of the coin, equal reactions to the other.

Unless you think the politics being spoken about is wrong, hurtful, descriminatory... then how is trolling (by nature abusive and destructive) excused by it?

I can't wait for Marvel, and much like yourself it is nothing to do with politics - I'm looking forward to seeing a Marvel movie, the continuation of the world and characters, the next plot point in the 20+ movie project - but at the same time I will be happy to see a female super hero that young girls can see and be inspired by.

People downvoting it, sh1tposting it, attacking cast members etc based on the politics of equality.... I just don't see the value of their actions at all. It is pathetic behaviour.

Attack the movie based on the content of the movie, if it des

• Registered Users Posts: 12,516 ✭✭✭✭Varik

What I find is that if the publisher/studio or who is confident then they see that any divisiveness is just leaving money on the table, they tend to only really push whatever cause when they see something to gain.

Compared to other things I don't think they're is the same push here, chances are at worst this film will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

It's not just for this film; RT have disabled comments for everything before it's released (they're also removing the 'want to see' badge too). Which IMO is a good move and long overdue; anonymous people on the internet are the worst, and the site was being used as a cheap 'review bomb' tactic by every hyperbolic 'fan' with an axe to grind.

its all part of the conversation, why should any opinions be muted? Expressing an opinion about why you don't want to see a movie is as valid as expressing why you do want to see a particular movie.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,225 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Call me close-minded if you must, but sexist (and I don’t use that term mildly, but feel it wholly appropriate in this case) idiots abusing a user review system to attack a film before anyone’s even seen it is not a valid opinion. They can abuse the system all they want when they actually release the film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Why wasn't wonder woman a big political statement? I suppose it says allot if your into the social justice politics.

We definitely aren't there yet and when the crux of your politics is to attack another sex/race well then i don't think we will ever get there.

They have the right to voice their opinions on their own time but if they do it on the company dime or say something that is over the top then of course the company will be negatively impacted. Look at the fallout from the Liam Neeson interview.

I actually don't recall a huge amount of "political" hype surrounding Wonder Woman but there was definitely significance attached to it being both DC's most successful film and female left.

The political statement you're referring to with CM though is clearly being driven by the studio ("her" turning to "hero" in the first trailer) therefore why would they have any issue with Brie getting in on the action. In fact my biggest issue with it is that they're acting like it is the first step when it's not and they should have done it long before this. It's ridiculous they've done nearly 20 films and not one has featured a female lead.

As I said I haven't been following the press tour that much so can you point me to where a specific gender or race has been attacked?

Advertisement