Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish rail passenger numbers 2017

Options
  • 05-03-2018 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

I know Irish rail carried 45.5m passengers last year but is there anywhere I could find the passenger numbers per route
    The most up to date for all routes I can find is the rail report but I have found numbers on some routes.
    Also does the dublin-Limerick passenger numbers also include dublin-Limerick junction-Limerick
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

does the dublin-Limerick passenger numbers also include dublin-Limerick junction-Limerick

Yes.
    Irish Rail and NTA take it for granted that Dublin - Limerick passengers travel via the Junction, either changing trains there or using the direct curve.

They would totally disregard the notion of someone going by Nenagh. Their timetabled speeds make sure of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

tabbey wrote: »
    They would totally disregard the notion of someone going by Nenagh. Their timetabled speeds make sure of that.

They make it impossible to actually book tickets on that route. I travelled it last November (for fun), and there was no way to book the tickets online. I couldn't buy them in the station in Hazelhatch. I eventually drove to Ballybrophey and bought a ticket to Limerick at the station and got the train there (I'm still not sure I got the right ticket, because it was €27, but if I tried to pay as far as Birdhill it was something like €4.95). Anyway, that's a long way of saying that IE are doing everything in their power to close that line (I mean I can't blame them, even the "automatic" crossing after Castleconnell seemed to have to be manually operated)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

You can book online for the intermediate stations such as Cloughjordan.

The line was not reopened to cater for through passengers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Nomis21 wrote: »
    You can book online for the intermediate stations such as Cloughjordan.

The line was not reopened to cater for through passengers

interesting, was it closed at one stage then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Isambard wrote: »
    interesting, was it closed at one stage then?

No it wasn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Ireland trains

Does anyone know how much people travelled on the Dublin to Waterford line in 2017
    So if the train from DUB-Cork carried 3.15m does the 900,000 people for Limerick included in the 3.15 or is that separate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Does anyone know how much people travelled on the Dublin to Waterford line in 2017
    So if the train from DUB-Cork carried 3.15m does the 900,000 people for Limerick included in the 3.15 or is that separate

Separate

The challenge is how do you allocate someone who travelled Dublin to Thurles as there are direct trains to Limerick and Tralee which stop.

Does anyone know if the Phoenix park tunnel service are being used much. As in are the trains fairly full

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Seanmk1

Yes they're fairly full in the peak direction.

In the opposite direction there are usually 40 or 50 passengers, with most alighting in Park West in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Waterford saw over 1.266 million up on 2016. Traffic is still over 100k below 2007 peak but has recovered 2/3s. The bus transfers for Cork works likely reduced the growth throughout 2017.

• Advertisement

2018 passengers numbers on Waterford route were 1.38m up 9.5% (120k) passing the previous record of 1.37m in 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    2018 passengers numbers on Waterford route were 1.38m up 9.5% (120k) passing the previous record of 1.37m in 2007.

Can I ask where you got those figures?

Can I ask where you got those figures?

Apologies link didn’t copy when I posted.

2017 is data I obtained from IE.

https://beat102103.com/news/waterford-record-highest-ever-rail-passenger-journeys/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

Apologies link didn’t copy when I posted.

2017 is data I obtained from IE.

https://beat102103.com/news/waterford-record-highest-ever-rail-passenger-journeys/

Is there much of difference between the fleet size of 2007 versus today. Obviously there is a lot more services available today but is this due to a bigger fleet or better planning and more common fleet.

2007 still would of seen mark2,3, alstom Darts, push pulls, 2700's and maybe Cravens along with a number of ICR's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Johnny Red Cab

Rulmeq wrote: »
    They make it impossible to actually book tickets on that route. I travelled it last November (for fun), and there was no way to book the tickets online. I couldn't buy them in the station in Hazelhatch. I eventually drove to Ballybrophey and bought a ticket to Limerick at the station and got the train there (I'm still not sure I got the right ticket, because it was €27, but if I tried to pay as far as Birdhill it was something like €4.95). Anyway, that's a long way of saying that IE are doing everything in their power to close that line (I mean I can't blame them, even the "automatic" crossing after Castleconnell seemed to have to be manually operated)
    At Ballybrophy the station master can only sell you a ticket to Limerick via The Junction which costs €27.

You can buy on the train for around €6.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

IE 222 wrote: »
    Is there much of difference between the fleet size of 2007 versus today. Obviously there is a lot more services available today but is this due to a bigger fleet or better planning and more common fleet.

2007 still would of seen mark2,3, alstom Darts, push pulls, 2700's and maybe Cravens along with a number of ICR's.

ICRs only came in to very limited service at the end of 2007 so they'd be almost statistically immaterial to the 2007 figures.

Would need to get figures of what was actually in service from the loco hauled fleet to do a direct comparison; there were Mk2s withdrawn for corrosion reasons before there were Cravens withdrawn even I think. Suspect there are good details on that either in IRRS journals or one of the forums though.

At Ballybrophy the station master can only sell you a ticket to Limerick via The Junction which costs €27.

You can buy on the train for around €6.

That's just madness!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

That's just madness!!

Its the agreed fares

A ticket to/from a station on the branch line is offered at a heavy discount.

So Ballybrophy Nenagh works, but Ballybrophy Limerick is full fare. And its never going to be faster to go via Nenagh is it?

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/CorkDublin-rail-passenger-numbers-reached-a-record-high-in-2018-2b66fa65-91bc-4f33-bf5a-99951e51fa4b-ds

Good figures for rail in and out of Cork.

10% increase on Cork-Dublin.
    5.8% increase Cork-Midleton
    Cork - Cobh holding steady.

Sligo 1.4M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Why is it that despite the figures being already known that the report won’t be available to read until mid to late 2019

Why is it that despite the figures being already known that the report won’t be available to read until mid to late 2019

It's Irish Rail so we are lucky to be getting figures at all!!

577,000 passengers Dublin-Mayo (i assume westport)

Limerick to Dublin 1million, up 90k
    Limerick-galway 138k, up 4k but line was closed for 2 months due to flooding

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

2.9 million Kildare line

4.38 million Maynooth line

Limerick to Dublin 1million, up 90k
    Limerick-galway 138k, up 4k but line was closed for 2 months due to flooding

Remind me what months it was closed? Don't recall flooding in 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Dats me

Remind me what months it was closed? Don't recall flooding in 2018.

Jan to March. This is from March 20th saying it was flooded since January.

https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2018/0320/948798-limerick-ennis-rail-line/

This says that trains still ran between Ennis and Galway.

http://www.clare.fm/news/flooding-issues-force-closure-ennis-limerick-rail-line/

Dublin to Galway:
    2.025M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

I was on the docklands train this morning from m3 parkway and it was a 4 coach commuter train and it was stuffed to the gills.

Goes to show that the Intercity railcars are not suitable for this route.

Also noticed good numbers switching to broombridge luas from the train and also noticed an increase in numbers using broombridge train station (heading towards Connolly)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The 40E should add a few to the Broombridge rail numbers. Actually looks like a proper multimodal interchange when all three are in!

Advertisement