Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian Fallon (Gaslight Anthem) w Support Craig Finn (The Hold Steady) - Academy Dubli

Options
  • 19-07-2018 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Front men of Gaslight Anthem and The Hold Steady - should be a good one. Presale code valid Thursday (today) "prayers"

Brian Fallon - The Academy, Dublin: February 27th, 2019. Tickets go on sale this Friday at 10am.
    Plus special guest, CRAIG FINN
    Tickets: €30 Incl. booking fees
    edit; sorry about the title of thread, too long!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭steve_r

Booked today. Looking forward to this as a big fan of Craig Finn also.

I was at his show in the Olympia recently, must not have done so well as this is a smaller venue?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

steve_r wrote: »
    Booked today. Looking forward to this as a big fan of Craig Finn also.

I was at his show in the Olympia recently, must not have done so well as this is a smaller venue?

This tour he is on his own with no band hence why the venues will be smaller on this tour

Anyone seen anything on stage times? Can't see anything on twitter or academy website?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭villa2008

Doors 7pm

Craig Finn 8pm

Brian Fallon 9pm

Thanks, much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

He was hilarious as always. Was hoping for "The Blues, Mary" as he played it a good bit on the tour damn!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭DeeTee100

He was hilarious as always. Was hoping for "The Blues, Mary" as he played it a good bit on the tour damn!

He was in great form, definitely had a few end-of-tour beers beforehand I'd say!

Would've loved to hear "The Blues, Mary" too, but I think "She Loves you" made up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Very good gig, some amount of gob****es though. Who actually thinks "quiet acoustic gig, perfect time to shout out my hilarious one liners...."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Thought it was brilliant, really enjoyed Craig Finn (was really going just to see him), first time seeing Brian Fallon won't be the last.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭ned rierson

Finn will be back with a band in Oct

• Advertisement

Is this announced?

Really enjoyed his set.

I saw GA back in the acedemy on the original 59 sound tour so it was weird being there again! Agreed that the crowd were annoying, people think they are hilarious.

I was surprised at Smoke getting such a big reaction, seemed to be the song that most people knew the words of.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Very good gig, some amount of gob****es though. Who actually thinks "quiet acoustic gig, perfect time to shout out my hilarious one liners...."

You get these wannabe comedians at everything over here, don’t know if it’s uniquely Irish or if it happens elsewhere but it’s very annoying.

I’m a big fan Fallon and been to see him enough times to know that the stories are part of the show but really thought that on Wednesday he lost the run of himself and was just rambling most of the time especially in the first half. I remember at the Gaslight gig last summer someone heckling him to stfu and play some songs and him giving them a bit of stick back but I found myself thinking the same thing a few times on Wednesday. Really enjoyed the music though and was impressed with Craig Finn.

Also like the academy as a venue but found the staff walking back and forth across the floor all night to be a pain the hole and not the only one judging by people around me.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭ned rierson

Is this announced?

Really enjoyed his set.

I saw GA back in the acedemy on the original 59 sound tour so it was weird being there again! Agreed that the crowd were annoying, people think they are hilarious.

I was surprised at Smoke getting such a big reaction, seemed to be the song that most people knew the words of.

Not announced yet but will be soon. Press for the new album and tour starts on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Turtyturd wrote: »
    You get these wannabe comedians at everything over here, don’t know if it’s uniquely Irish or if it happens elsewhere but it’s very annoying.

I’m a big fan Fallon and been to see him enough times to know that the stories are part of the show but really thought that on Wednesday he lost the run of himself and was just rambling most of the time especially in the first half. I remember at the Gaslight gig last summer someone heckling him to stfu and play some songs and him giving them a bit of stick back but I found myself thinking the same thing a few times on Wednesday. Really enjoyed the music though and was impressed with Craig Finn.

Also like the academy as a venue but found the staff walking back and forth across the floor all night to be a pain the hole and not the only one judging by people around me.

Funny thing is it was announced as a night of songs and stories in the UK but not here, so I was kind of expecting it, if he'd gone full Springsteen on Broadway and never deviated from a script I think it would have tanked, but when it was good it was great. (a wonderful life) but it didn't always hit (felt like the intro to Steve McQueen could have fit another song) but I think he's in an awkward post gaslight slump where he can't not play their songs but it's too soon......

Staff in the academy were ****e though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thought the talking was the best bit, we were laughing our asses off. Different people like different things! I'm used to him talking but that was next level.

Wasn't a fan of his chat on Weds. Thought he was drunk at first, or at least quite self indulgent.

The first time I saw the GA was on the original 59 sound tour around 10 years ago in the academy. I remember being impressed at how appreciative he was of the crowd (and of Ireland) and finding him really likeable and earnest.

Back then the crowd were really into it, and knew all of the songs. I felt it was different on Weds, that people weren't really singing along, and didn't really know the songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Brianjl

Wasn't a fan of his chat on Weds. Thought he was drunk at first, or at least quite self indulgent.

The first time I saw the GA was on the original 59 sound tour around 10 years ago in the academy. I remember being impressed at how appreciative he was of the crowd (and of Ireland) and finding him really likeable and earnest.

Back then the crowd were really into it, and knew all of the songs. I felt it was different on Weds, that people weren't really singing along, and didn't really know the songs.

Have to agree with you, self indulgent best describes the night, a lot of his stories were kind of pointless and looking for an easy laugh from an audience he knew would be on his side, I felt some of the songs didn't translate to well to piano, plenty of people around me seemed bored, and for a man who gets annoyed at the Springsteen comparisons, he has no problem bringing him up every show I've been to! I'd like to see him go back to what got him where he is, playing with a good band and loose the chip on his shoulder

Advertisement