Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiviar Alpha Plus Combo STB

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

Has the router given the box a different IP

No. Still the same. I've it set to a static IP in the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭whoami1

whoami1 wrote: »
    For the past few days, I have come down in the morning and found that the box is not in standby but instead is fully powered up, but the TV is not on. Initially I thought that I'd left it running while using my media player on another HDMI input, but last night I definitely turned both TV and Tiviar 'off' (standby really). This morning, the same thing happened again.

I connected via SSH, hoping to find the system log, but the dmesg command isn't installed. However, there is one clue: the timeshift directory showed files going back to at least 3:30 this morning, so I believe that whatever is happening to turn on the box occurs at or before this time.

Any clues anyone?

I couldn't figure out what was going on, so I did a re-image, and things are back to normal now.

Has the router given the box a different IP

I've since discovered that I can SSH into the box no problem but FTP not successful, I just get those weird characters as a response. Doesn't matter I suppose as long as I can communicate with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Anytime i cant connect to boxes with filezilla client i recheck correct ip of box and might be one digit out.One time i had to remove filezilla client as it would not connect and 100% ip was correct and other pc beside me logged in straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭andy1249

greasepalm wrote: »
    Anytime i cant connect to boxes with filezilla client i recheck correct ip of box and might be one digit out.One time i had to remove filezilla client as it would not connect and 100% ip was correct and other pc beside me logged in straight away.

With networking enabled on the box you can simply drag and drop to and from the box from any PC.
    You dont need filezilla.

• Advertisement

I have two E2 boxes in different rooms. One a Tiviar Alpha+ and the other is the Edision OS Mega. Each box has two Sat feeds from an octo LNB and they each have Saorview feeds also. What I would like is to be able to view recordings made on one box to be viewable on the other and vice versa. Should be possible NO?

Yes you can have samba enabled on all boxes and mount all hdd on boxes.
    menu-setup-network-mounts-network browser--scan for boxes on network,select box and open and scroll down for hdd and choose cifs save and exit out.

andy1249 wrote: »
    With networking enabled on the box you can simply drag and drop to and from the box from any PC.
    You dont need filezilla.

Never used a pc for files as boxes and nas drives only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Never used a pc for files as boxes and nas drives only.

The op was referring to tasks such as putting picons on the box. It is far easier to work directly within windows rather than using a tool such as FileZilla. Posters keep saying it’s necessary to use it, despite having been corrected many times.

I dont use or need picons on boxes but i see many do.

• Advertisement

Yes you can have samba enabled on all boxes and mount all hdd on boxes.
    menu-setup-network-mounts-network browser--scan for boxes on network,select box and open and scroll down for hdd and choose cifs save and exit out.

I've done all that but still can't see the contents of HDD of box1 on box2 or vice versa?

If samba is enabled and hdd is mounted correctly press the list button on remote and choose location of box 1 as it should then open your files and scroll to movies and OK should see your listings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

The op was referring to tasks such as putting picons on the box. It is far easier to work directly within windows rather than using a tool such as FileZilla. Posters keep saying it’s necessary to use it, despite having been corrected many times.
    How do you do it through windows rather that Filezilla?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 phil49

Does this receiver only work with external drives formatted in EXT 3 or 4.I cannot see anything on my drive formatted as NTFS.Anybody got the MYMetrix code for Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

phil49 wrote: »
    Does this receiver only work with external drives formatted in EXT 3 or 4.I cannot see anything on my drive formatted as NTFS.Anybody got the MYMetrix code for Dublin

Yes, you need to format as ext3 or 4

http://weather.mynonpublic.com/locationid.html

If samba is enabled and hdd is mounted correctly press the list button on remote and choose location of box 1 as it should then open your files and scroll to movies and OK should see your listings.

Thanks for the info. A bit of perseverance here and all working OK now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭NewClareman

phil49 wrote: »

It also works with FAT32, allowing you to easily share media between windows and the Tiviar.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭M007

I’m interested in leaving VM and switching to FTA. This box looks pretty good from looking at some of the threads here. My problem is I wouldn’t no where to start with flashing and updating systems. Haven’t a clue.

Is there anywhere you can buy the box with the latest software etc?

Where can you buy it online or bricks& mortar?

Would I be out of my dept on this trying to do it myself ?

Newer different makes of boxes can be got from wos and they will flash image of your choice,some boxes get replaced never too be seen again when stock is sold out.

Forgot to add user has to adjust or add settings for their area as its not a universal setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭M007

Thanks for that. If I get one of those boxes from WoS do I need a separate box for Irish/Saorview channels?
    Newer different makes of boxes can be got from wos and they will flash image of your choice,some boxes get replaced never too be seen again when stock is sold out.

Forgot to add user has to adjust or add settings for their area as its not a universal setting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

M007 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. If I get one of those boxes from WoS do I need a separate box for Irish/Saorview channels?

No the whole idea of these is that they combine Saorview terrestrial channels and satellite channels in one box, one (or more) channel list.

Look at the tuners sat is dvb/s and saorview is dvb/t/t2 i believe.

This is all very odd - half my Saorview channels are unavailable as of this evening. They were all working fine yesterday. I'm not too up on the technical part of this, but I can state that I'm getting no signal on the 2RN Mux 2, i.e. RTE1, Virgin Media 3, etc. are all gone.

I've done a couple of rescans, but no joy so far.

Can anyone advise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

This is all very odd - half my Saorview channels are unavailable as of this evening. They were all working fine yesterday. I'm not too up on the technical part of this, but I can state that I'm getting no signal on the 2RN Mux 2, i.e. RTE1, Virgin Media 3, etc. are all gone.

I've done a couple of rescans, but no joy so far.

Can anyone advise?

It's very possible and quite common to have good enough signal on one mux but not enough for the other

It's very possible and quite common to have good enough signal on one mux but not enough for the other

Thanks for the quick reply. The SNR is now alternating between 0 and 45%, which is not enough to get a clear picture. The odd thing is that it has been a perfect picture from the moment I installed the aerial in the attic back in August/September.

Does it indicate failing hardware, do you think?

Thanks for the quick reply. The SNR is now alternating between 0 and 45%, which is not enough to get a clear picture. The odd thing is that it has been a perfect picture from the moment I installed the aerial in the attic back in August/September.

Does it indicate failing hardware, do you think?

...aaaaannndddd we're back! I pressed the Menu button, chose 'Setup', then 'Service searching'. In 'Tuner configuration', I changed the Region setting in Tuner C from Dublin to Republic of Ireland all regions. I then ran a rescan and I now have a SNR of 99% again.

Update: the SNR is dropping every now and again to 45%, then goes back up again to 99%.

What stations are not working and from where?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Did your aerial get hit by anything in the attic? It might need to go a degree or 2 either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

sligojoek wrote: »
    Did your aerial get hit by anything in the attic? It might need to go a degree or 2 either way.

such as, a bird got in and is moving it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

such as, a bird got in and is moving it :D

Or rats chewing through the cables. :D

It happened me a couple of times. Before I got a permanent set up I'd an aerial sitting on the insulation . While rooting for something I inadvertently moved it and only discovered it that evening when the stepladder was hung back up in the shed. .

Advertisement