Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ethernet slow on smart tv

• 26-02-2019 6:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hey guys,

Anyone know why an ethernet cable would give me 30Mbps on my 2018 LG smart TV and give me over 200Mbps on my laptop?

Obviously, the cable is fine but the wired speed on my TV is the same as the wifi speed on my tv. Kinda disappointing? Anyone know of any reasons?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

How are you determining the speed on the TV? Is it with a built in speed test or are you visiting a site like FAST.com? Is your TV connected directly to your router or is it connected via a powerline adapter?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 gravity121

advertsfox wrote: »
    How are you determining the speed on the TV? Is it with a built in speed test or are you visiting a site like FAST.com? Is your TV connected directly to your router or is it connected via a powerline adapter?

TV attached directly to router. Cable only about 1.5 m long. Same cable was used with laptop.

Speed via googling speed test on TV browser and chrome for laptop. First hit on Google is a popup speed test.

My laptop's WiFi speed comes in around 45 Mbps but wired was over 200. TV is about 30 for both. WiFi test run without cable attached. Cable test run with WiFi on TV turned off.

Ok good info - can you repeat the test on the TV with the WiFi disabled again (remove any saved profiles) by going to the website fast.com directly (it's a Netflix hosted speed test so very reliable for accuracy). Also, what is the LG TV model exactly?

Most likely its a 100Mbps LAN port (and only wireless G on the TV - up to 54Mbps) and your laptop has 1Gbps LAN port so that's not a fair comparison (you are likely on Virgins 240Mb profile so thats why you are maxing out when using the laptop).

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Smart TVs tend to be about as smart as the first iPhone, its likely being CPU limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Your connection is still fine for 4k ultra HD streaming so I don't really see the issue. As ED_E said, probably a limitation of the CPU, and probably doesn't even have gigabit LAN but its enough for the job.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I also have a 2018 LG TV, cabled to a switch then onto the router, works pefectly fine, get about 300mbit DL. What model is it exactly?

advertsfox wrote: »
    Ok good info - can you repeat the test on the TV with the WiFi disabled again (remove any saved profiles) by going to the website fast.com directly (it's a Netflix hosted speed test so very reliable for accuracy). Also, what is the LG TV model exactly?

Most likely its a 100Mbps LAN port (and only wireless G on the TV - up to 54Mbps) and your laptop has 1Gbps LAN port so that's not a fair comparison (you are likely on Virgins 240Mb profile so thats why you are maxing out when using the laptop).

Woo fast.com came in at 59 Mbps. Almost double. Still way less than the connection speed. Correct I'm on virgin 240.

Model is LG 43UK6400

I also have a 2018 LG TV, cabled to a switch then onto the router, works pefectly fine, get about 300mbit DL. What model is it exactly?

Model is LG 43UK6400

300 on the TV is sweet ðŸ˜

gravity121 wrote: »
    Woo fast.com came in at 59 Mbps. Almost double. Still way less than the connection speed. Correct I'm on virgin 240.

Model is LG 43UK6400
    Cool well that model does have 10/100Mbps LAN port so the theoretical max is up to 100Mbps... you won't get that on a standard smart TV as it's CPU limited as ED says - this is irrelevant anyway as 60Mbps is your speed to Netflix servers which is plenty for any media needs on that TV. You don't want 1 device hogging all your bandwidth too.

Advertisement