Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Know More About Your Elves - #2 Toots

• 25-02-2019 10:21am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Happy Rudolph Day one and all and welcome to our second Know More about your elves. The first thread was such a success, I was delighted how it worked out.

This time it was the wonderful Sundew but Sundew hasn't been online for over 8 days now, so the fantastic Toots is jumping in to do this weeks Know Your Elves! :)

I'll kick off,

Favourite Movie of all time?
    First single you ever bought?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,795 ✭✭✭Jude13

Do you prefer to use a black or blue pen?

If you were a dog breed which would you be?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,114 ✭✭✭✭DvB

When a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up (jobwise)

& Did you get close to achieving that at all?
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Favourite place you have visited (country or city/region) and why?

If you could be invisible for one day what would you do??

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Loughc wrote: »

I'll kick off,

Favourite Movie of all time?
    First single you ever bought?

Favorite movie is Die Hard, great for any time of the year! Also love the Lord of The Rings movies.

First single I ever bought.... I’m not sure actually. I want to say maybe Blue by Eiffel 65? (The shame!)
    Jude13 wrote: »
    Do you prefer to use a black or blue pen?

If you were a dog breed which would you be?

Blue pen if it’s ballpoint, but if it’s one of those inky pens I prefer black.

If I was a dog I think I’d be either a cocker spaniel or a staffie. Or some weird looking mix of the two.
    DvB wrote: »
    When a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up (jobwise)

& Did you get close to achieving that at all?

I was one of those kids who wanted to be about 10 different things when I grew up :pac: I wanted to be an actress or a vet or to work in the bank like my Dad (that was before I realised there was more than one bank, I just loved going to visit my Dad’s office)

In the end I kinda got close, I spent 10 years working in branch banking, but It wasn’t really the area I wanted to work and unfortunately it’s very hard to move out of the branch network.
    TRS30 wrote: »
    Favourite place you have visited (country or city/region) and why?

If you could be invisible for one day what would you do??

Favorite place would be a toss up between Hong Kong and Tamariu in Spain and Paris.

Hong Kong because I’ve wanted to go all my life, then my parents brought us all in 2007 and it was even better than I expected it to be. I’d go back again in the morning!

Tamariu because we would go on holidays there when I was in my teens and it’s just a gorgeous little area. Haven’t been back in about 10 years, so it may have changed since then. Hope not though!

Paris because that’s where I had my honeymoon.

If I could be invisible for the day probably a lot of what I’d do would involve moving stuff around and making people think they were either going mad, or living somewhere haunted. I’d also sneak into a sold out gig like Fleetwood Mac or something, but then right before I’d be due to reappear again, I’d sneak up on my husband so I’d suddenly reappear right in front of his face and scare the crap out of him :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Hi Toots !
    here is my question (just after Oscars night):

Which actor would play you in your Biopic ?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

otnomart wrote: »
    Hi Toots !
    here is my question (just after Oscars night):

Which actor would play you in your Biopic ?

Melissa McCarthy, provided the voice coach got her to do a decent version of a South Dublin accent - not this weird "oirish" accent that a load of American actors come out with. Nobody sounds like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,174 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

What's your favourite shop?

What's your favourite shop?

Bricks & mortar favorite is the Yankee Candle store in Naas, it’s called Candle Warehouse, but I just call it the Yankee shop. I could spend the whole day (and all my money) in there!

Favourite online shop is Missouri Star Quilt Co. It’s an actual bricks and mortar shop, too, but it’s in Missouri (gasp!) so not like I can just nip in for a browse. It’s on my bucket list, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

Fizzy or normal jellies?
    Favourite Christmas bauble on your tree and why? :)

jellybear wrote: »
    Fizzy or normal jellies?
    Favourite Christmas bauble on your tree and why? :)

Fizzy, as long as they're not those insanely sour ones that make your face collapse in on itself like a neutron star.

I'm ridiculously sentimental about my Christmas baubles, so it's nearly impossible to choose just one, but my kids got me these little crocheted baubles this year and I love those so much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Favourite takeaway?

5 desert Island items?

Caranica wrote: »
    Favourite takeaway?

5 desert Island items?

Ayoshima Sushi in Stillorgan, but only the odd time cos sushi isn't cheap :(

Hmm, well aside from food and water...

1. Phone
    2. iPad
    3. Collection of Harry Potter books
    4. I suppose a few distress flares would be prudent
    5. Crochet supplies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Toots wrote: »
    Ayoshima Sushi in Stillorgan, but only the odd time cos sushi isn't cheap :(

Hmm, well aside from food and water...

1. Phone
    2. iPad
    3. Collection of Harry Potter books
    4. I suppose a few distress flares would be prudent
    5. Crochet supplies

Toots, you are my kind of gal! :)

And on that note, what is the best thing you've crocheted? Or the item you feel most proud of might be a better question!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

If you had to go back and live in one other time period, what would you chose and why?

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Toots, you are my kind of gal! :)

And on that note, what is the best thing you've crocheted? Or the item you feel most proud of might be a better question!

:D

I think the best things are little toys or hats for my kids, because I love seeing their faces when I give them to them. The thing I'm proudest of is probably this massive shawl I made, because it's probably the first big project that I made for myself instead of giving it away :pac: https://imgur.com/a/d2dBQ
    If you had to go back and live in one other time period, what would you chose and why?

Oooh, that's a tough one! I'd love to go back and have little glimpses into various times in the past, but I'd say maybe 1950s/60s America. That's assuming it's all shiny and nice like in the movies, as opposed to all racist and stuff :-/

:D

I think the best things are little toys or hats for my kids, because I love seeing their faces when I give them to them. The thing I'm proudest of is probably this massive shawl I made, because it's probably the first big project that I made for myself instead of giving it away :pac: https://imgur.com/a/d2dBQ

Oh I love the shawl!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,795 ✭✭✭Jude13

Jaysus that is a serious talent.

Sun or snow holiday?

Aisle or window seat?

Two more from me:

Are you a chocolate or a crisps person?

Best childhood memory (excluding Christmas)?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

If you could meet one famous person who would it?

Jude13 wrote: »
    Jaysus that is a serious talent.

Sun or snow holiday?

Aisle or window seat?

Thank you :D

I'd go for sun holiday, not too hot, but I definitely find sunshine improves the mood. Much as I love snow, I prefer to look at it from indoors. Actually being out in it causes me to become a danger to myself and others. :o
    CheerLouth wrote: »
    Two more from me:

Are you a chocolate or a crisps person?

Best childhood memory (excluding Christmas)?

I'm an "all the junk food" person :pac:

Best non-Christmas related childhood memory was probably my communion day - I got to dress up all fancy, and my entire extended family came over for a big party. A lot of my family are from the north, so the house was rammers because everyone was staying over, and it was great having everyone together at the one time.
    TRS30 wrote: »
    If you could meet one famous person who would it?

Alan Rickman!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

In the end I kinda got close, I spent 10 years working in branch banking, but It wasn’t really the area I wanted to work and unfortunately it’s very hard to move out of the branch network.
    Did you get out in the end? I'm asking for a... friend. >_>

What is your favourite book as an (a) adult and (b) child?

Are you the sort of person who cries at movies?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,114 ✭✭✭✭DvB

What was the first record you ever bought?

Favourite chocolate bar? and favourite alcoholic beverage?
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

What was your favorite toy as a kid?

Posy wrote: »
    Did you get out in the end? I'm asking for a... friend. >_>
    I did, in a manner of speaking... I took voluntary redundancy in 2015. Best career move I ever made! :pac:
    What is your favourite book as an (a) adult and (b) child?
    (a) The Harry Potter books
    (b) Trick or Treat (it was one of those Point Horror books)
    Are you the sort of person who cries at movies?
    Yes, absolutely. I am frequently rendered an emotional wreck by movies/tv shows/commercials, and am worse since becoming a parent, because I now have to watch kids movies, which are pretty much emotional terrorism. Like I full-on ugly cried at the end of The Boss Baby and Big Hero 6; we were last out of the cinema because I had to try and compose myself before being seen in public. Oh, and Inside Out!!! Jesus christ, I was a feckin basket case after that.
    DvB wrote: »
    What was the first record you ever bought?
    Like vinyl? I believe it was Jive Bunny and the Master Mixers, bought with a gift voucher I was given for Christmas.
    Favourite chocolate bar?
    It's hard to beat a classic dairy milk
    and favourite alcoholic beverage?
    I actually don't really drink alcohol. I might have a tiny taste once or twice a year. I like a really good whiskey, or a sweet sherry, and I swear to God I'm not 80! :pac:
    Sundew wrote: »
    What was your favorite toy as a kid?

My teddy, Marzo. He still sleeps in my bed to this day :)

Deja Boo wrote:
    Hiya Toots :) wow you have skills - that shawl is impressive!

Hufflepuff, Gryffindor or Slytherin?
    How Do You Feel About Pineapple On Pizza?

You think Toots isn't Ravenclaw material? :p

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Deja Boo wrote: »
    There are more houses? :eek: I haven't actually :o seen any of the Harry Potter movies to know what.

also, I haven't seen any of the Die Hard movies

...but don't tell Toots :eek:

Haven’t seen die hard or Harry Potter....

Where did I leave my ban hammer :pac:

but it's still no a christmas movie

To be fair (sorry Toots, hijacking your thread!) how can you deem a film not to be a Christmas movie if you haven't actually seen it. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,428 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

....because it's an action flick

(yes, sorry toots, back to the fun... :pac: )

-You get to go on a City Break this weekend- where would you go?

-Do you think Die Hard is a Christmas movie? :pac:

-What's your favourite colour?

-Did you cry when reading/watching Harry Potter?

-Who is your favourite Harry Potter character?

• Advertisement

....because it's an action flick

(yes, sorry toots, back to the fun... :pac: )

:pac: Yes, but it's set at an office Christmas party, ergo, a Christmas Movie :D In fact, I've lost count of the amount of office Christmas parties I've been at that have ended up with us all being grouped on to the roof while a group of international terrorists attempt to steal the millions of dollars worth of bearer bonds stored in the vaults below.
    Posy wrote: »
    -You get to go on a City Break this weekend- where would you go?
    New York
    -Do you think Die Hard is a Christmas movie? :pac:
    It is THE Christmas movie! But it's great all year round, too!
    -What's your favourite colour?
    Probably blue or purple or red
    -Did you cry when reading/watching Harry Potter?
    Yes. Hysterically, in some instances. I'm reading them to my son at bedtime at the minute, and when we finished Goblet of Fire, I had to have a box of tissues to hand for the last couple of chapters. We're on Order of The Phoenix and I know I'll be a wreck at the end of that, too :o
    -Who is your favourite Harry Potter character?
    McGonagall or Snape (although I will admit to hating him the first time I read through the books, then when I got to the end of Deathly Hallows it made me see him in a different light) Oh, and also Hagrid, cos he's just awesome!

Just seen the quoted post further up, so to answer that:

Much as I'd like to say I'd be a Gryffindor, I'm pretty sure the Sorting Hat would have put me in Ravenclaw.

I think pineapple is an essential component of any pizza, and I'm genuinely baffled by the amount of hate it gets!

Advertisement