Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Roundstone - things to do?

• 10-07-2018 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭

Will be visiting roundstone for the weekend, any recommendations on things to do. Good places for food, drink etc?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

For food I usually go to www.odowdsseafoodbar.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

seconded

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

thanks folks, how about for guinness? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭moonstruck

Roundstone House Hotel for food, Guinness in O dowds .Kings Bar. two fab beaches a couple of miles from village for watersports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭1641

moonstruck wrote: »
    Roundstone House Hotel for food, Guinness in O dowds .Kings Bar. two fab beaches a couple of miles from village for watersports.

Second these and add Bogbean for coffee and snacks.I'm sorry to say that on my last few visits the food offering in O'Dowds has disappointed - and the coffee v. poor. Coasting a bit on its rep ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Dogs bay, beach just outside the village..

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭rbag

Avoid Roundstone... the village is finished. Was out there two weeks ago on a weekend and the only place open was ODowds...four people there in total. No shops, no post office opened anymore...nice scenery but is literally just a place for a coffee stop nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭1641

rbag wrote: »
    Avoid Roundstone... the village is finished..

Possibly it will be, with posts like that. Two weeks ago - well out of season. But you didn't enjoy it so its finished and to be avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Avoid Roundstone... the village is finished. Was out there two weeks ago on a weekend and the only place open was ODowds...four people there in total. No shops, no post office opened anymore...nice scenery but is literally just a place for a coffee stop nothing else.

You should go back in the summer. Theres a reason thats when everyone goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Plan on visiting it this summer, think its one of them places like the Aran Islands were the weather needs to be good to appreciate it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Nice village, some good beaches and great golf course nearby

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Simms

Even worse in the Summer. Full of D4 nobheads. Think Ross O'Carroll-Kelly and you get my drift. Shudder!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Yintang

Definitely go to Dogs Bay and Gurteen beach, two of the nicest beaches in Ireland imo.
    You could also take a spin into Clifden or a boat trip to Inisbofin (Lorenzo permitting!) from Cleggan is highly recommended, a wonderful gem of an island.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Roundstone is a stunning village, has to be one of the most beautiful places in Ireland. Been there many times and would live down there if I could. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

The local beaches are superb. The loop walk around Dogs Bay and Gurteen is spectacular all year round.

Roundstone is dead from November to February and yeah it is full of Dubs from June-August.

O'Dowds for seafood has gone downhill. Prefer Eldons.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

I have holidayed near there for the past few years. Pretty village, but my word as indicated you have to endure some complete D4 specimens …. usually they congregate around the wall opposite O’Dowds for evening pints in the summer. The older crowd are self regarding types with the attendant offspring, piggybacking off Mummy and Daddy … As one local described it where there used to be the ‘Galway tent’, those ‘in the know’ who see themselves as the real movers and shakers congregate in Roundstone. I suppose they do give some injection to the local economy, but the downside is the village and hinterland is now predominantly holiday homes which means for about 7 months of the year it is denuded of residents

Anyway, there is a decent Sunday market and nice views to enjoy a coffee or something stronger. My tuppence worth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Think you've been on that grassy knoll too long! Zombie thread.

Anyway, agree completely. Lovely place expect for those who frequent it. The Galway wannabee D4 types are even worse than the real D4 types!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Advertisement