Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obesity crisis in Ireland Mod Note post 1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What you're missing is that obesity is a clinical term used to describe someone of a certain weight above their normal BMI.

So if your natural frame is 12st, whether you're 14 or 24 stone, you're classified as obese.

I would say Ireland and the UK, broadly speaking, have more of the very obese class of people than on the continent.

The word has a different meaning in common understanding. Nobody would look at someone carrying a stone or two think they're obese, we'd just say chubby, or carrying a few - fat would be the next step, but we tend to reserve obese for those who are extremely overweight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

What you're missing is that obesity is a clinical term used to describe someone of a certain weight above their normal BMI.

Exactly. BMI (kg/m^2) cut-off points of 25 and 30 are used to classify adults as overweight or obese, respectively. On the other end of the scale, a BMI under 18.5 is considered underweight.

These are just mathematical formulas, not value judgments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

So if your natural frame is 12st, whether you're 14 or 24 stone, you're classified as obese.

I would say Ireland and the UK, broadly speaking, have more of the very obese class of people than on the continent.

The word has a different meaning in common understanding. Nobody would look at someone carrying a stone or two think they're obese, we'd just say chubby, or carrying a few - fat would be the next step, but we tend to reserve obese for those who are extremely overweight.

When I briefly nudged into the obese BMI range (I was 30.8 at my largest, I recall), I didn’t just look a bit chubby, I didn’t just look fat, I looked really, really fat. And my clothing size at that time confirmed it. I doubt many people would have been surprised that I was clinically obese. I saw some genuine, unmistakable double-takes and eye-widening from people I hadn’t seen in a while. I was visibly obese. And I have an average frame, not petite or not large.

And to achieve that very, very fat look, I only had to gain a mere two stone over the upper range of a heathy BMI for my height. So I’d have to disagree with you there. Gaining two stone over the upper reaches of the healthy range had me looking very fat, not chubby.

And I’m not a special case in any way. Anyone who is BMI 30 won’t just look a bit chubby, if I’m anything to go by, excepting the odd few muscle-bound athletes. And I’m short but being taller wouldn’t make a difference because the taller you are, the more weight you have to gain to reach BMI 30.

So, if we take the obesity rankings, anyone who has been included as obese is BMI 30 at least. Based on my own experience of being BMI 30, I don’t believe that it’s something that people would pass off as just a bit chubby. I absolutely guarantee you would have thought I looked very fat when I was at that weight.

So, I believe the Benelux countries have plenty of visibly very fat people strolling around, based on the percentages of obese people given for each country. Even if BMI 30 predominates, it still looks fat.

Plenty of 16 stone chaps who are 6 foot tall don't look obese.
    IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Augeo wrote: »
    IMO

BMI is a bit hit or miss. It doesn't seem to account for muscle mass.

The likes of Brian O'Driscoll would have been considered obese back in the day at 5'10 and 15st.

• Advertisement

BMI is a bit hit or miss.........

Indeed
    I think the waist to height ratio along with bodyfat measurments are far more indicative of someone's actual conditioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,486 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The likes of Brian O'Driscoll would have been considered obese back in the day at 5'10 and 15st.
    It takes account of the muscle mass of the ordinary person.

It’s stupid to talk about elite athletes regarding BMI, these tiny portion of the population are no where near standard make up.

For the ordinary person in the street BMI is an excellent guideline.

If someone is doing 8-10 hours in the gym pumping weights it is less useful, but that’s not ordinary behaviour.

So many obease people take the hump at being called so amd this elite athlete point is rolled out as if it somehow justified their massively out of control weight.

Augeo wrote: »
    IMO

My fella is 6’2” and he is 13 st 8lbs, up from around 11st 12lbs if I recall. That makes him BMI 24.4. It’s been a concerted effort on his part to gain weight and muscle. He looks great. But I could see him looking fat if he put another 2.5 stone on top of what he weighs now. He already has the makings of a wee belly, as he has noted himself.

All I know is, I looked obese at BMI 30 and height doesn’t matter because anyone taller has to pile on even more pounds to hit 30. So they are taller but probably wider at BMI 30 than someone shorter.

So the idea that more continentals might be in the lower obese range and therefore aren’t noticeably really fat doesn’t ring true to me at all. If you’re BMI 30, it’s noticeable. Again, apart from the odd athlete-type.

Someone in this thread said she was size 8-10 and was nearing 30 on the BMI scale. But then she said another BMI measured her as 26. BMI is a formula so it doesn’t make sense that she would get two different results if she was plugging the same numbers into each. I’m guessing the BMI 26 measurement was the correct one based on her size.

I agree with Brian that for your average Joe or Josephine, BMI is a very good guideline.

Le Bruise wrote: »
    This is one of truest statements I've ever read! Some people just have an innate hatred of all things that don't fit into their 'perfect' size category....and it's usually down to massive insecurities of their own that aren't as noticeable on the outside.

When I was a huskier gent a few years back, I was best man at my older brothers wedding in Bali. My brother lived in Australia and competed in iron man comps and thus, had friends of a similar ilk i.e. very fit, bordering on the obsessively so.

Now I play a good bit of rugby, so would have a level of fitness, but I'd always been a fairly big guy. At that time, however, I'd let my weight creep up after being out with an injury for a season and not curtailing my large appetite to match my lack of movement.

Unfortunately, one particular triathalony chap I'd never met took it upon himself to make constant snide comments about my size. I was first introduced to him 10 minutes before making my speech (to a load of people I didn't know), and the first words out of his mouth were 'I was expecting a slimmer, better looking man'. Did my confidence and nerves the world of good!

He then referred to me as Shrek for the rest of the night, so I just stayed away as much as I could. Eventually, my brother told him I was going to hit him if he kept on (I wouldn't have), but at least he stopped. Never understood why he held his little campaign against me, and I never saw him again.

I've since lost the excess weight (most of it anyway)......but I'm quite sure he's still an ass-hat. People like that surely can't be happy in themselves.

Yup, that guy sounds like a monumental **** stain. I’d be happy to be you and not him, no matter how buff he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Yup, that guy sounds like a monumental **** stain. I’d be happy to be you and not him, no matter how buff he was.

Typical Aussie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭moonage

BMI (kg/m^2) cut-off points of 25 and 30 are used to classify adults as overweight or obese, respectively.

It's a bit fishy that the BMI cut-off points are such nice round numbers. Another reason why one's BMI shouldn't be taken too seriously.

moonage wrote: »
    It's a bit fishy that the BMI cut-off points are such nice round numbers. Another reason why one's BMI shouldn't be taken too seriously.

It’s hardly fishy. Everyone knows that anything around the fringes of the healthy range is grand. Anyone who is a BMI of, say, 25.8 or 26.2 shouldn’t be too worried. At 25.8, I’d be only 4lbs overweight. At 26.2, I’d only be 6lbs overweight. Common sense will tell you there’s not much of a problem there. The BMI scale is a guideline, so naturally they will round the figures off a bit. It will just help you figure out what, give or take a few pounds, your healthy weight range is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Agreed. I have a BMI that tells me I’m obese, but most people are taken aback when I tell them my actual weight. I’m a big guy, but pretty fit. To get to a ‘safe’ BMI i’d have to drop to a weight I haven’t been since I was doing my junior cert!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Le Bruise wrote: »
    Agreed. I have a BMI that tells me I’m obese, but most people are taken aback when I tell them my actual weight. I’m a big guy, but pretty fit. To get to a ‘safe’ BMI i’d have to drop to a weight I haven’t been since I was doing my junior cert!

if you want a check against bmi , an alternative is that your waist should be at or less than 50% of your height

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

silverharp wrote: »
    if you want a check against bmi , an alternative is that your waist should be at or less than 50% of your height

I’m actually bang on with that calculation! Will go with that in future. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Every european country clearly has loads of fat people. Hardly that much of a rare occurence outside the UK and ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Why is McDonald's seen as a treat for kids for just getting through the school week?
    I just cannot understand the phenomenon.
    I'd bring a child to the pool, park, indoor play centre, playground, any place before a fast food outlet

Most people will lose weight if they just stop eating crap and eating too much
    Exercise helps after that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

moonage wrote: »

Weight is a continuum, and should be understood as such. BMI markers such as 18.5 for underweight, 25 for overweight, and 30 for obese are designed to give people easy-to-understand markers for where they might fall on the scale and to figure out how much weight they should gain or lose to get back to a healthy range.

For someone my height, anywhere between 10 stone and 14 stone is in the normal range. So there's wide variation there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Why is McDonald's seen as a treat for kids for just getting through the school week?
    I'd bring a child to the pool, park, indoor play centre, playground, any place before a fast food outlet

It is a treat though its enjoyable and pleasurable. But emphasis on treat! As in it isnt done often, if it isnt done often then its fine, sometimes I get fast food to treat myself and Im in excellent health, its a lot more of a treat than going to a pool or park and I would have thought the same as a child
    Theres room for some unhealthy food within a balanced and otherwise healthy diet. Pretty much every nutrionist would agree on that, it helps people keep motivated to eat healthy the rest of the time if they indulge the odd time

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭joeguevara

wakka12 wrote: »
    It is a treat though its enjoyable and pleasurable. But emphasis on treat! As in it isnt done often, if it isnt done often then its fine, sometimes I get fast food to treat myself and Im in excellent health, its a lot more of a treat than going to a pool or park and I would have thought the same as a child
    Theres room for some unhealthy food within a balanced and otherwise healthy diet. Pretty much every nutrionist would agree on that, it helps people keep motivated to eat healthy the rest of the time if they indulge the odd time

I was thinking back when i was a kid. I mean 6-10. We went to Dublin twice a year and that’s the only time we’d get a McDonald’s as they weren’t down the country.

It was always a thrill because invariably there would be a helium balloon and a paper hat. I vividly remember saying to myself that I’d be a big boy when I would be able to order a Big Mac, large fries and a large coke instead of a poxy happy meal.

But nowadays when McDonald’s are everywhere it is less of a thrill. I think the big issue is drilling in to kids the idea of a treat meal for just doing a normal thing. Get through the week. Mc Donald’s will turn into went to school...McDonald’s..until it is ingrained that they deserve it for doing nothing.

Now nothing wrong with treats if they aren’t put ona pedestal. If they have it then they should be educated on having less calories for their tea or going for a game of football.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

There was an experiment in a school district in the UK.

They removed the soft drinks and sweet machines from a few schools and replaced them with water fountains and left them in others.

After a year the kids in the schools with the soft drinks and sweets machines were on average something like half a stone heavier than the kids from the kids from the schools with water fountains at 9 years old and there was a linear progression up to 14 years old where it scaled year on year to about 1.5 stone difference between them.

1.5 stone bigger over 5 years is insane. If that progression kept on the majority end up clinically obese by early adulthood.

I think multiple factors converged to cause this mess......

Once upon a time you could pay a mortgage off and raise a family on a single wage. While the female workforce participation rate increased over several decades the male participation rate didnt decrease relative. On aggregate, across the economy, instead of men and women working 0.5 FTE and sharing the child rearing and home making duties like cooking a healthy meal etc they both worked as much as they could.

Throw in the recent urbanisation, sprawl and densification (as all of those increase commute times) that has occurred people are more prone to making quick meals, take aways, not having as much time for being organised - once families had a person full time dedicated to this.

More jobs becoming sit down desk work versus manual labour is probably also a factor.

On top of that sugary, crappy foods really exploded onto the market places from the 1980s onwards. The West didnt manage progress very well.

Cheap sugary stuff has got to be the biggest factor here as its highly addictive but the other things I mention are likely compounding the issue but it doesnt really get mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

BMI is a quick and rough guide for average, not particularly athletic people. Any highly muscular person will get a misleading result.

The cause of our obesity epidemic seems to lie mainly on the intake side and there’s a fair bit of evidence accumulating that the biggest culprit there is sugar. For the first time in history, we can eat calorie dense food all day as we watch our screens. Personally, I think I have made a minor breakthrough with porridge. One bowl made with milk, banana and no added sugar (maple syrup is one of my many weaknesses) can last me until my evening veggies. I’m beginning to taste the sugar in bread, some salad dressing and all sorts of items now in the same way that salt in food become obvious when I stopped pouring it on.

nice_guy80 wrote: »

One of my primary school friends was always given deep-fried chips and deep-fried whatever meat they were having at home every Friday as a treat. This was in the ‘90’s and as I recall, other kids in the class got the same. Easily as much calories as a Maccy Dee’s meal. More calories probably because the chips were chunkier and a bigger portion than McDonald’s. Neither she nor her sisters were overweight presumably they ate healthily the rest of the time.

In my house, Saturdays were utterly hectic and we were given ‘breadcrumbed things that you shove on a baking tray’ for dinner. We ate good meals the rest of the time. My bro and I were slips of things and my sister was only a little chubby.

Whenever I’ve brought my niece and nephew to McDonald’s, I’ve noticed that they rarely finish their food. They are brought there fairly often and there’s no weight problem with either of them.

So, from my own experiences what you’re describing here doesn’t seem like that a deal, provided the kids are being given healthy meals at home in healthy portions.

Ardillaun wrote: »
    BMI is a quick and rough guide for average, not particularly athletic people. Any highly muscular person will get a misleading result.

The cause of our obesity epidemic seems to lie mainly on the intake side and there’s a fair bit of evidence accumulating that the biggest culprit there is sugar. For the first time in history, we can eat calorie dense food all day as we watch our screens. Personally, I think I have made a minor breakthrough with porridge. One bowl made with milk, banana and no added sugar (maple syrup is one of my many weaknesses) can last me until my evening veggies. I’m beginning to taste the sugar in bread, some salad dressing and all sorts of items now in the same way that salt in food become obvious when I stopped pouring it on.

Gotta say, I’ve always found porridge absolutely useless at keeping hunger at bay. I’d make it with full-fat milk, weight out a level of oats that would keep it with a good calorie range for my height in addition to the milk and 5g of maple syrup I’d add. I know you might say omit the 5g of syrup and add 5g of oats instead but I tried that and, nope, I’d still be ravenous by mid-morning. I’d basically need a lot of porridge to fill me, way above the calories I should be eating for breakfast. And I don’t really like porridge to boot. If it had filled me up though, I’d overlook that and eat it anyway. But because it didn’t really fill me, porridge was out.

You know what filled me? Just a bowl of full-fat Greek yoghurt and 5g maple. I’d want the 500g tub of yoghurt to last the week, so 100g full-fat yoghurt and 5g of maple syrup with a cup of tea. Then tea at tea-break around 11am with maybe a purple Snack or tea cake depending on how my meals were looking for the rest of the day, but I wouldn’t be ravenous by tea-break the way I was after eating porridge for breakfast.

I agree with you that sugar is the enemy in that it is so easy to eat way too much of it. But I found when I was losing weight, I could have small doses of it. For example, I kept away from anything marked low-fat and I’m an advocate for using full-fat dairy products (I make an exceptipn for low-fat milk because no crap is added to substitute the removed fat and some people genuinely prefer low-fat milk to full-fat) but because I was vigilant about sugar intake most of the time and carefully watched my portion sizes (my digital kitchen scales are my God), I didn’t feel guilty about putting my 5g of syrup in my yoghurt and having a spoon of sugar in my tea. It didn’t stop me losing weight at a sensible rate of 1-2 lbs a week.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

A lot of the world's problems could be fixed with lentils. I find them very filling and delicious with a bit of olive oil and vinegar and fresh herbs. So many people do not eat pulses, except for baked beans.

Fill yourself with lentils and some nice roasted vegetables.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 Chestvalve

Put an outright ban on shops selling big underwear. Size 16 for ladies cut off and large for men. Make them diet.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    A lot of the world's problems could be fixed with lentils. I find them very filling and delicious with a bit of olive oil and vinegar and fresh herbs. So many people do not eat pulses, except for baked beans.

Fill yourself with lentils and some nice roasted vegetables.

Problem is I’d prefer all the issues that obesity brings instead of eating lentils regularly. Also a big issue is putting forward food that tastes revolting as a way of losing weight. People can’t keep it up and then regain more.

Better labeling of calories and preparation is key.

One thing that shows how people really are so oblivious about calorie content is a conversation I had with my dad. He was complaining that he was eating so healthily but hadn’t lost even a lb in three weeks. I knew something was up so next morning I joined him for breakfast. What he thought was ultra healthy (and it was) granola, yoghurt, blueberries, whole grain toast, large glass of orange juice and a grapefruit added up to some ridiculous amount of calories like 1400. When I said that that breakfast was equivalen to nearly 2/3s of his daily calorie allowance he wouldn’t believe me. He equated healthy food to near zero calories.

He still believed that fat was the evil that he had learned as a kid. When it was all explained and had a plan he found it easy to lose weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭AllForIt

joeguevara wrote: »
    Problem is I’d prefer all the issues that obesity brings instead of eating lentils regularly..

Lentil curry is delicious. As is lentil soup. Very easy meals to make too, you just basically throw all the ingredients into a pot and simmer. The tedious part is chopping onions and garlic for both dishes but it seems such activities are beyond either the capability or tolerance level of most ppl these days.

• Advertisement

AllForIt wrote: »
    Lentil curry is delicious. As is lentil soup. Very easy meals to make too, you just basically throw all the ingredients into a pot and simmer. The tedious part is chopping onions and garlic for both dishes but it seems such activities are beyond either the capability or tolerance level of most ppl these days.

No problem chopping onions and garlic. Actually find it therapeutic. Much prefer to use something different than lentils though. Like lean turkey mince.

Having read what they taste like the description of ‘mild earthy flavor with a meaty watery aftertaste doesn’t instil me with confidence that I could eat them on a long term basis. But if people like them then it will work for them.

Advertisement