Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eddi diverters and logging

• 26-01-2019 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am due to get an eddi diverter fitted to my solar system, but looking at the specs, the eddi does not seem to log any data.

So my current Data logger to my inverter currently gives consumption etc, so my concern is that incentive the eddi is fitted, then the eddi consumption winter be logged, and all I will see is an overall consumption figure , including what was diverted to the eddi.

If I am correct, I will effectively have lost visibility of my household consumption ?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi,

I am due to get an eddi diverter fitted to my solar system, but looking at the specs, the eddi does not seem to log any data.

So my current Data logger to my inverter currently gives consumption etc, so my concern is that incentive the eddi is fitted, then the eddi consumption winter be logged, and all I will see is an overall consumption figure , including what was diverted to the eddi.

If I am correct, I will effectively have lost visibility of my household consumption ?

From using my Eddie, it only stories the data for the day.
    So at mid night, it resets itself.

You may have to manually log the data yourself as it tells you what was sent to the heater that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

kceire wrote: »
    From using my Eddie, it only stories the data for the day.
    So at mid night, it resets itself.

You may have to manually log the data yourself as it tells you what was sent to the heater that day.

Mmm, that's a small bit crap so ?

If the eddi is consuming power (excess solar) my solar data logger is just going to show that consumption as normal consumption, it won't separate the figures out anymore, so I won't know what my house consumption actually is anymore.

Mmm, that's a small bit crap so ?

If the eddi is consuming power (excess solar) my solar data logger is just going to show that consumption as normal consumption, it won't separate the figures out anymore, so I won't know what my house consumption actually is anymore.

Sorry, I’m not 100% up on the data logging as I’ve no way of logging mine, I don’t think.

I can see what my panels produced.
    I can see what Eddie sent to the immersion.
    I can check my meter to see how many units I used in any given time frame.

If I can help or check anything for you, let me know.

Image attached

So I can see my system is currently generating 1.85kw
    400w going to immersion so balance as baseload.

kceire wrote: »
    Image attached

So I can see my system is currently generating 1.85kw
    400w going to immersion so balance as baseload.

Attached is screenshot from my solar logger. So you can see what the house load is at the moment, and where the power is being pulled from (mostly battery at the moment ).

The thing is, i suspect once the eddi goes in, when the eddi kicks in, the consumption read will include what the eddi is using, so it will be very hard to tell the difference between load if the hisue excluding the eddi.

So say for example, my overall is generating 1.4kw, and the house load is 400w, then the Eddie will draw 1kw. This will make my consumption look like 1.4kw, but I won't know from looking at it, that the pv is generating excess if 1kw thatbis being ousched to the eddi.

At the moment, when we see excess being generated, we will turn in the washer etc, but I suspect we will need to first check the eddi manually now and see if it's drawing or nit before deciding to power up the washer.

It's a bit if a flaw in the eddi if that's the case, it limits you being able to decide in best use of power ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hi Eamonn

You will need a third party solution to monitor the Eddi.
    I am using a iBoost diverter and despite showing today, yesterday and past week, i still like to get more details.

I have something like this this one, HERE i will follow with more info when I can.

Also, is very hard, almost impossible to use that kind of pattern Sun PV generation versus consumption.
    You have to trust that day will be fine and the PV generated figures will compensate somehow against the demand of the wash machine. Some posters here tried to explain me how zappi works with charging an EV during the day, via PV and grid.
    I guess a EV charger can fluctuate / manage the demand of the power needed to charge the battery, I mean the Battery Control Charge manager of the EV can demand 3K or 1Kw based on some algorithms I cannot understand.
    A wash machine will always demand 1.5KW for spinning and it will take that energy either from inverter (local supplied) or from the grid.

Hard to predict the PV production...as it can massively fluctuate across a day ,even few hours.

471364.JPG

Get a OWL with PV module and it can assist you over time with best educated results, as per below graphs.
    I know today how much is the water pump versus EV versus wash machine and oven and kettle...

471363.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

Hi,

Eddi logs data for the day, week, month, year and overall total. Its in the Savings menu. That said, a proper logging app would be better to give you an overall picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Just found this guy here, i have the Pi and playing around, not sure it will work with my PV equipment... but if a way could be found via some sort of interface to extract that data and manipulate it in php and MySQL.
    Dunno if it will work with diverter or inverter but he found some hardware and software, H E R E

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭randombar

Attached is screenshot from my solar logger. So you can see what the house load is at the moment, and where the power is being pulled from (mostly battery at the moment ).

The thing is, i suspect once the eddi goes in, when the eddi kicks in, the consumption read will include what the eddi is using, so it will be very hard to tell the difference between load if the hisue excluding the eddi.

So say for example, my overall is generating 1.4kw, and the house load is 400w, then the Eddie will draw 1kw. This will make my consumption look like 1.4kw, but I won't know from looking at it, that the pv is generating excess if 1kw thatbis being ousched to the eddi.

At the moment, when we see excess being generated, we will turn in the washer etc, but I suspect we will need to first check the eddi manually now and see if it's drawing or nit before deciding to power up the washer.

It's a bit if a flaw in the eddi if that's the case, it limits you being able to decide in best use of power ?

Late to this party but they're bringing out their own hub and app. I've pre ordered.

I have the same app as you (ginlong) and there are gaps in that data all right, also find the connectivity isn't amazing.

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Late to this party but they're bringing out their own hub and app. I've pre ordered.

I have the same app as you (ginlong) and there are gaps in that data all right, also find the connectivity isn't amazing.

Do you have a link? I couldn't see one on their website but I'd like to have a look at it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭randombar

Do you have a link? I couldn't see one on their website but I'd like to have a look at it

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057839190&page=28

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

Hi @wexfordman

How does the EDDI work with the battery?
    Does it drain the battery or is it smart enough to know not to take from the battery and just take from excess solar only?

niallers1 wrote: »
    Hi @wexfordman

How does the EDDI work with the battery?
    Does it drain the battery or is it smart enough to know not to take from the battery and just take from excess solar only?

As far as I know, it works based on reading live pv generation figures and consumption. So, if pv generation is greater than consumption, then it feeds the excess to the diverter.

The battery has no impact in it,.it.would not draw from it ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,739 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Instead of forking out EUR500 on an EDDI installed (which will probably cost you money over the lifetime of the product, not save you any money at all), how easy would it be to install something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Power-diverter-Wireless-Excess-Solar-Diverter-Like-Solic200-Immersun-iboost/323698753632?hash=item4b5df30060:g:Hb4AAOSw~gZcaYah:rk:11:pf:0

GBP50, that's more like it, supposed to do the same job, will pay for itself within a year or two if you can DIY install...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

unkel wrote: »
    Instead of forking out EUR500 on an EDDI installed (which will probably cost you money over the lifetime of the product, not save you any money at all), how easy would it be to install something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Power-diverter-Wireless-Excess-Solar-Diverter-Like-Solic200-Immersun-iboost/323698753632?hash=item4b5df30060:g:Hb4AAOSw~gZcaYah:rk:11:pf:0

GBP50, that's more like it, supposed to do the same job, will pay for itself within a year or two if you can DIY install...
    These devices work quite differently - they are based on a triac switching on and off the grid at a stage in the sine wave so that the immersion is running for part of the grid phase. What that does to the grid is knock it from being a sine wave into having a bit of a saw-tooth shape, not just for your house, but for all your neighbours on the same transformer. Here is a scope reading from my neighbour's farm when testing one of these devices on a 2kw load :eek:

Immersun, Eddi and iBoost all now use better but more expensive switching methods.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,739 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Yikes :eek:

The Myenergi app is now available for anyone who has the hub

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

The Myenergi app is now available for anyone who has the hub
    What's the benefit of having the hub?

niallers1 wrote: »
    What's the benefit of having the hub?

Just logging at the moment but more functionality is coming e.g. remote boost control and remote scheduled boost setting for Eddi. Probably other stuff for zappi & harvi.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭phester28

I dont think the sawtooth waveform shown above can be right.

The Solic 200 is certified for use so it would not be if it casued that much distortion.

See the cert test and results here
    https://www.earthwiseproducts.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Harmonics-compliance-tests1.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Neil. J. F

As far as I know, it works based on reading live pv generation figures and consumption. So, if pv generation is greater than consumption, then it feeds the excess to the diverter.

The battery has no impact in it,.it.would not draw from it ever.

Hi folks, I’m having a problem with my Eddi draining the battery.
    Have noticed it on several occasions, usually at dusk when pv generation has stopped. The Eddi will continue to heat the water, seems to be unable to differentiate between generation and battery power. Have had to switch it off then back on, in order to stop it.
    I’ve contacted the installer and they’ve got me to change a couple of settings but no joy. I’m getting on to them again but I think I’ll need a CT monitor for the battery. Only one installed monitoring the grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭championc

Neil. J. F wrote: »
    Have noticed it on several occasions, usually at dusk when pv generation has stopped. The Eddi will continue to heat the water, seems to be unable to differentiate between generation and battery power. Have had to switch it off then back on, in order to stop it.
    I’ve contacted the installer and they’ve got me to change a couple of settings but no joy. I’m getting on to them again but I think I’ll need a CT monitor for the battery. Only one installed monitoring the grid.

If I go the Eddi route, and since I have batteries, you must have a CT clamp on the AC side of the battery inverter. However, if you have a hybrid inverter, I don't believe this is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Winterman1234

I dont have a battery, but have an eddi, this has a current clamp on the mains supply to the house before the mains meter. Eddi monitors this clamp, if current heading backwards out to grid, then diverts corresponding amount to immersion. So eddi should only ever divert if current leaving property back out onto the grid. At dusk when battery full and pv not generating, current should not be heading back onto grid, so should not be diverting. Cant see why you need a second clamp, but I could be missing something.

I dont have a battery, but have an eddi, this has a current clamp on the mains supply to the house before the mains meter. Eddi monitors this clamp, if current heading backwards out to grid, then diverts corresponding amount to immersion. So eddi should only ever divert if current leaving property back out onto the grid. At dusk when battery full and pv not generating, current should not be heading back onto grid, so should not be diverting. Cant see why you need a second clamp, but I could be missing something.

If your system was generating 1kw and the house was using 300w, then the surplus would be 700w. A hybrid inverter would see this as surplus and take the 700w for the battery. The Eddi would also be told that there is 700w surplus and start heating the water with 700w. But suddenly there is 700w being drawn from the grid, so I think there would be major confusion between components.

So without question, when you have batteries, you absolutely need some way to measure what is being sent to them.

championc wrote: »
    If your system was generating 1kw and the house was using 300w, then the surplus would be 700w. A hybrid inverter would see this as surplus and take the 700w for the battery. The Eddi would also be told that there is 700w surplus and start heating the water with 700w. But suddenly there is 700w being drawn from the grid, so I think there would be major confusion between components.

So without question, when you have batteries, you absolutely need some way to measure what is being sent to them.

Not sure that's correct.

The hybrid inverter say is taking in 2kw solar.
    The house load is say 1.2kw, which is demanded.from.the inverter and supplied by the inverter.
    The remaining 800w is dc,.and goes.direct to the battery, it never even gets.converted to ac for the AC load to take it.

Once the battery is charged, then in the same scenario, the full 2kw being generated goes out to the mains, and then the eddi will see it as excess to the grid and begin diverting it.

Sorry, edit :-

You are correct though, there are 2 clamps on my eddi, one for grid side, and I assume the other for inverter side.

Thanks for all the replies. I’m attaching a photos of the CT clamp and of the Eddi display after sunset yesterday. Note the power being diverted, which can only be coming from the battery.

Thanks for all the replies. I’m attaching a photos of the CT clamp and of the Eddi display after sunset yesterday. Note the power being diverted, which can only be coming from the battery.

Looks like a unit configuration issue to me. Clearly, the house will also be pulling a load from the battery too, hense the 0.0 from the grid.

I would suggest you contact MyEnergie rather than your installer. Have you a Hub too ?

Yep, hybrid inverter connected to the cloud.

Yep, hybrid inverter connected to the cloud.

So right now, with your panels generating power, what does the Eddi show on it's screen ?

It sounds like the installer has simply added a timed topup / boost of the immersion.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

You sure it's not boosting or something there?

Advertisement