Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aer Lingus "Soft drinks are served with our compliments"...

Options
  • 20-02-2019 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭

This line is often uttered on long journeys with Aer Lingus. Does this mean I can ask a flight attendant for a can of Coke at any stage during the flight? I know they usually offer a soft drink free after an hour or so but I have seen on one flight a passenger requested a can of Fanta about halfway through the flight and the flight attendant seemed almost reluctant to get it as if it were a bother but she did get it in the end.

Are soft drinks really only for your meal? I took from saying that they are "complimentary" that you can have as many as you like, maybe im wrong.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You can ask or go to the galley to ask and you should be given more

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Shamrockj

This line is often uttered on long journeys with Aer Lingus. Does this mean I can ask a flight attendant for a can of Coke at any stage during the flight? I know they usually offer a soft drink free after an hour or so but I have seen on one flight a passenger requested a can of Fanta about halfway through the flight and the flight attendant seemed almost reluctant to get it as if it were a bother but she did get it in the end.

Are soft drinks really only for your meal? I took from saying that they are "complimentary" that you can have as many as you like, maybe im wrong.

If you ask during the meal, tea/coffee or when they are collecting no but after or during the drinks is no problem. You can always go to the galley in the middle if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Ring the call bell and the AerLingus crew will be happy to assist you with anything.

Perhaps ask for a wet wipe to soften your skin while you are at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brennus335

Ring the call bell and the AerLingus crew will be happy to assist you with anything.

Perhaps ask for a wet wipe to soften your skin while you are at it.

Or to wipe your arse like mama did.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I’m sure if you ask nicely and with a smile you’ll get an extra can, but bear in mind there wouldn’t be an unlimited supply of drinks stocked on any flight.
    Also, most* EU airlines that fly transatlantic would NOT have their bars restocked in the US. So what they take off with from Dublin has to supply the outbound and return flights that aircraft will operate to/from the US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

I remember yonks ago they’d just throw out flats of drinks at the exit rows on some flights for folks to pick up. And I don’t think there should be any issue with a passenger ringing for a drink - “guests” as they’re known on EI flights nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The only time you cannot get a drink is during meals service as the cart used for the food doesn't carry a bar. You are told that when the bar cart goes around that if you want a drink with your meal to order it then.

Drinks always available at the mid galley at door 2 between business and economy

And if you stay awake you will see water/juice offered regularly through the flight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

I thought the free drinks was been reintroduced on long hual flights including alcohol. Considering they are only giving a 150-200ml serving from a 2lt bottle its hardly costing them much.

Can or do Aer Lingus shop around for supplies such as drinks from destination airports.

Is there reason other than cost they can't resupply at the out station for the return flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

IE 222 wrote: »
    I thought the free drinks was been reintroduced on long hual flights including alcohol. Considering they are only giving a 150-200ml serving from a 2lt bottle its hardly costing them much.

Can or do Aer Lingus shop around for supplies such as drinks from destination airports.

Is there reason other than cost they can't resupply at the out station for the return flight.

Total guess: are they avoiding paperwork headaches of potentially “importing” excess stock purchased in the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

IE 222 wrote: »
    I’m pretty sure it’s mini cans these days, at least it is when you ask for one outside of the meal service.

A complimentary alcoholic drink with the meal service is being reintroduced, just hasn’t happened yet. Soft drinks have always been free throughout the flight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I’m pretty sure it’s mini cans these days,

More often than not its from a big bottle put in a glass. I suppose it depends on how nice you are to the crew. Said bottle more often than not is the American product. US Coke-Cola would be far cheaper than the Irish stuff.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

More often than not its from a big bottle put in a glass. I suppose it depends on how nice you are to the crew. Said bottle more often than not is the American product. US Coke-Cola would be far cheaper than the Irish stuff.

Can’t speak for Aer Lingus but when I did long haul, the only catering that was uplifted at outstaions was fresh meals, ice, and milk.
    All drinks carts were counted(alcohol) and sealed shut before landing in the US. A special declaration was filled out regarding the amount of alcohol in the carts but they were never allowed to be opened in the US. Hence, all drinks were loaded at the home base and had to be sufficient to make a return trip to the US. Again this was for customs reasons. So we only ever had European products drinks wise.
    Don’t know if EI are the same but most airlines doing transatlantic operate this way from my understanding.

faoiarvok wrote: »
    Total guess: are they avoiding paperwork headaches of potentially “importing” excess stock purchased in the US?

Yeah this sounds logical but I'm sure if it was cost effective they would have an easy enough way of doing it if it was a regular thing.

Was about a year since I done a T/A flight with them and it was a bottle. I think it might of even been a 3lt bottle, definitely wasn't the regular one seen on an Irish supermarket shelf perhaps it was the UK coke.

I believe coke Irelands biggest competitor over here is coke UK.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Coca Cola Enterprises GB would not deliberately sell product in to the market of Coca Cola HBC which is island of Ireland. You really don't see non-HBC Coke sold here now.

Coke is really odd as it is a franchise structure - Coca Cola HBC are not owned by Coca Cola Inc, they just licence the name and buy the goop off them. However, some of the franchises are, including Coca Cola Enterprises.

Also, Coca Cola Inc have substantial operations here, both factories and management which makes it even more confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭gavindublin

Locker10a wrote: »
    Can’t speak for Aer Lingus but when I did long haul, the only catering that was uplifted at outstaions was fresh meals, ice, and milk.
    All drinks carts were counted(alcohol) and sealed shut before landing in the US. A special declaration was filled out regarding the amount of alcohol in the carts but they were never allowed to be opened in the US. Hence, all drinks were loaded at the home base and had to be sufficient to make a return trip to the US. Again this was for customs reasons. So we only ever had European products drinks wise.
    Don’t know if EI are the same but most airlines doing transatlantic operate this way from my understanding.

The alcohol bars are all day bars, so don't leave the aircraft. The soft drinks are replenished at the outstations. You'll see the difference on the return legs in the branded products being 'american' versions.

Soft drinks are comp, bit it's a go get em policy, they won't wait on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Free complimentary wine or beer to be introduced before June. Service trials on-going.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brennus335

US Coke is made with high fructose corn syrup. The other versions use sugar.
    Experience tells me to have a good root through the stores cart for the sugar stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭cloudhopper19

Absolutely you can get drinks at any time with the exception of during the meal service and when the rubbish is being collected. drinks are always available in the middle galley during the flight.

Advertisement