Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NCT midbox delete pass or fail

Options
  • 16-02-2019 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Just wondering if a 1990 car would pass nct without a midbox? Failed it recently cause there's a leak in he midbox so was thinking of just cutting it out. Car would still have a backbox. Should be okay as long as it's below the noise limit?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Surely its quicker to fix the mid box, rather than cutting it out,
    risking a fail, and a re test cost??

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Dkhuts

kadman wrote: »
    Surely its quicker to fix the mid box, rather than cutting it out,
    risking a fail, and a re test cost??

Would need a new midbox since it's rusted out.
    Want it to be a bit louder than it is now but not overly to loud for it to fail

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I dont know whether loud is a thing that the NCT testers will accomodate favourably.

They wont even tolerate people standing up and looking through the workshop window here.

kadman wrote: »
    I dont know whether loud is a thing that the NCT testers will accomodate favourably.

They wont even tolerate people standing up and looking through the workshop window here.

Depends on the tester I guess. The guys in arklow were bang on tho. Had a good chat about my car and all!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭selectamatic

It'll be sound as long as it has the back box. All cars have to have a back box now regardless of how loud it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I've put my car through the test for the last six years with a front bumper exit exhaust, only has a back box. It's never been a fail

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Dkhuts wrote: »
    Would need a new midbox since it's rusted out.
    Want it to be a bit louder than it is now but not overly to loud for it to fail

why would you want it louder? Noise doesn't equal power.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Isambard wrote: »

It can, but some people find it a waste of a nice engine that you can't hear, others don't care.

Skatedude wrote: »
    It can, but some people find it a waste of a nice engine that you can't hear, others don't care.

i care when they go past my house and you can still hear them 2 miles down the road.

Because an inline 6 bmw engine sounds great

• Advertisement

not at 2 am in my bedroom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

i care when they go past my house and you can still hear them 2 miles down the road.

2ldj1q8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭blackbox

Might not have the effect you are hoping for. You could end up with a horrible droning noise. (But at least you'll save money!)

blackbox wrote: »
    Might not have the effect you are hoping for. You could end up with a horrible droning noise. (But at least you'll save money!)

That's what I'm slightly worried about, don't want it sounding like 18 year olds corsa with drilled holes in the exhaust! Found a fairly cheap one of amazon of all places for like 50 quid including delivery.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/ETS-EXHAUST-Exhaust-Central-Silencer-1983-1991/dp/B00DVJCUL4/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1550440627&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=e30+exhaust&dpPl=1&dpID=21qDh3%2BA-ZL&ref=plSrch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭selectamatic

It'll sound fine.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

My E28 doesn't have a middle box and passed the NCT no probs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Why do some posters here think exhausts only come in quiet or boy racer volumes? simply choose the exhaust that suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

not at 2 am in my bedroom

You shouldn't be reving engines in your bedroom at any time of day or night if you ask me.

Advertisement