Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aviva want a copy of my tax disc

Options
  • 15-02-2019 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

Any one know why are Aviva looking for copy of my tax disc before they will give renewal quote ?

2013 car with cheap tax 200 year

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Is it taxed and NCT'd?

If it's not or they suspect its not they may request it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Whocare

Is it taxed and NCT'd?

If it's not or they suspect its not they may request it.

Of course it tax and nct like it 2013 bmw is it make no sense why they want it .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭micar

I think you may need to ask them.

Couldn't Aviva just check it on motortax.ie instead of annoying me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Whocare wrote: »
    Of course it tax and nct like it 2013 bmw is it make no sense why they want it .

Then you’ve nothing to worry about. Just give it to them. If they’ve a problem they’ll let you know.

• Advertisement

micar wrote: »
    I think you may need to ask them.

I will and report back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭micar

Couldn't Aviva just check it on motortax.ie instead of annoying me

Taking a picture of it and emailing it to them is hardly annoying.

micar wrote: »
    Taking a picture of it and emailing it to them is hardly annoying.

But there just being prick must be sent within 7 days to get a renewal quote I say there hoping that poeple will forget to send it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I would be interested to know why as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

But there just being prick must be sent within 7 days to get a renewal quote I said I hoping that poeple will forget to send it
    Are you certain this message came from Aviva?

Aren't insurance renewal notices mean to come 30 days before policy expiry?

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    Are you certain this message came from Aviva?

Aren't insurance renewal notices mean to come 30 days before policy expiry?

it's definitely from Aviva official looking letter and envelope

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

They have been asking for this for years, nothing new.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

biko wrote: »
    They have been asking for this for years, nothing new.

Does anyone know why? I've never heard of an insurance company asking to see your tax disc and there's nothing about having a current tax disc in the Aviva policy document. Not that such a condition would be worth the paper it was written on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Been with Aviva a few years now ,changed cars, transferred insurance short term, never asked for a tax disc, saying that never have with any company ask over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Then you’ve nothing to worry about. Just give it to them. If they’ve a problem they’ll let you know.

Why? They have no business in seeing taht. Insurance is actually a prerequisite for tax, not the other way around.

If they have a particular doubt or question, I would gladly respond. Requesting random documents is just fishing.

Next time they will request a STD panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I guessing it’s business they don’t want to actually quote for as it doesn’t fit into whatever segment they’re targeting.

grogi wrote: »
    Why? They have no business in seeing taht. Insurance is actually a prerequisite for tax, not the other way around.

If they have a particular doubt or question, I would gladly respond. Requesting random documents is just fishing.

Next time they will request a STD panel?
    The item requested is something that you display on your windscreen for every Tom, Dick & Harry to see, so hardly a phishing exercise. Do you display your current STD’s on your windscreen?

You state that they won’t quote you for renewal without supplying it, so it’s up to you to decide whether you want a quote or not.

Cushie, Would you think when pricing insurance that it would be ok to have send every insurance company a copy of your tax disc and any other similar things companies might ask for just to get a quote?

They’re looking for this info before they’ll give a renewal figure, it’s not like they’re looking for it for renewals, just for pricing.

It’s normal for an insurance company to give a renew quote before the current policy expires. Not sure if it’s a requirement but it would seem they’re using this as a way to get around giving out renewal quotes.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Cushie, Would you think when pricing insurance that it would be ok to have send every insurance company a copy of your tax disc and any other similar things companies might ask for just to get a quote?

They’re looking for this info before they’ll give a renewal figure, it’s not like they’re looking for it for renewals, just for pricing.
    OP says it’s a renewal quote.

Edit: you added a bit in there as I was replying. Yea, could well be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

If you have a driving other cars clause on your policy one reason they might look for a copy of the tax disc might be to give some reassurance that the 'main car' is not sitting up off the road while the driving other cars extension is used on an ongoing bssid to cover regular use of a larger, more powerful car which might otherwise attract a much higher premium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,645 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is there no way to check online the tax status of a car?

Is there no way to check online the tax status of a car?

You need the vehicle registration and PIN (issued with your motor tax reminder notice) to renew your motor tax. The motortax.ie website doesn't serm to have a way to check a vehicle's current motor tax status or renewal date.

There are ways of checking it that Aviva will have access to.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

But what if your tax expires in 1 month. The tax disc request seems very odd. The first thing that came into my head was it a way for checking engine swaps or something

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

The item requested is something that you display on your windscreen for every Tom, Dick & Harry to see, so hardly a phishing exercise.

Fishing ain't phishing....

Fishing is throwing baseless accusations (or requirements for documents) in hope that some will stick...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,645 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

antodeco wrote: »
    But what if your tax expires in 1 month. The tax disc request seems very odd. The first thing that came into my head was it a way for checking engine swaps or something

Yes but on an emissions based assessment the tax disc it doesn't change even if the engine is swapped, always stays at original emissions calculation for motor tax. Perhaps if it was a BMW X5 they were seeing if it was commercially taxed as crew cab but this doesn't stack up as they could simply go on to motortax.ie and type in the reg and they would be given the rate.

I'd love to know why they want it, you would think it would be in their interests if it was a condition of providing cover that you had your car taxed that if they didn't look for a copy of the disc it would potentially allow them to not pay out on more claims where car wasn't actually taxed.

I'd love to know why they want it, you would think it would be in their interests if it was a condition of providing cover that you had your car taxed that if they didn't look for a copy of the disc it would potentially allow them to not pay out on more claims where car wasn't actually taxed.

There is nothing about having a current tax disc in the Aviva policy document. And even if there was, it would count for nothing because they could not deny a claim on that basis.

As I already pointed out, in post #14.

Bananas I just went out to photocopy the disc it out of date sense September I forgot to tax it as tax office just sent a email reminder. If anything I should be thanking Aviva

Bananas I just went out to photocopy the disc it out of date sense September I forgot to tax it as tax office just sent a email reminder. If anything I should be thanking Aviva

Maybe renewing insurance on a car which hadn't valid tax for the last 4 or 5 months raised a red flag on their system if they can cross check it against the motor tax office records.

• Advertisement

Maybe renewing insurance on a car which hadn't valid tax for the last 4 or 5 months raised a red flag on their system if they can cross check it against the motor tax office records.

That's a valid point and for the insurance company, it would raise the suspicion that the OP is really driving a 'borrowed' high performance car under his 'driving other cars' cover and his own car is laid up so he's not bothered to tax it.

Which you suggested in post #21...
    If you have a driving other cars clause on your policy one reason they might look for a copy of the tax disc might be to give some reassurance that the 'main car' is not sitting up off the road while the driving other cars extension is used on an ongoing bssid to cover regular use of a larger, more powerful car which might otherwise attract a much higher premium.

BUT .... both Aviva and Liberty will only cover you when driving another car if there is a policy in force for that car, whether it covers you or not.

Advertisement