Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Greater London Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭theoldbreed

Hi all,
    Apologies if this has been asked before. Is there a particular card one could get for a weekend in London that would cover from airport and all the main zones? Something handier than buying a ticket each time you need the train or the underground?

Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

Oyster card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Hi all,
    Apologies if this has been asked before. Is there a particular card one could get for a weekend in London that would cover from airport and all the main zones? Something handier than buying a ticket each time you need the train or the underground?

Thank you

It would depend on what airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

Contactless Debit card/ Oyster card if flying into Heathrow, Gatwick, or City.

Stansted or Luton will require separate purchase to get into the city and then oyster/debit for all transport within London

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Oyster card (to tap in when starting a journey, and out on some types e.g. Tube.  Get one as soon after landing as practicable (maybe possible at the airport).  It has a daily cap, the maximum you'll be charged each 24 hours (replacing the Daily Travelcard that was).  To cover your whole stay, decide what zones you want, multiply by days there (including part days if economical), and top up the card by that amount.  Add transport back to the airport (& maybe from airport into town), and add some credit for unforseen journeys out of your zones (any surplus credit stays on the card for future trips).  I got one just about as soon as they came out and am still using the same one.  Prices & other info here https://www.toptiplondon.com/transport/tickets/oyster-card/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Yeah I'd tend to agree that public transport would probably be better certainly in cost and maybe in time as well (or the difference would be negligible).

Other options would be Stansted (under 20 mins to Liverpool st station, Stansted Express is every 15 mins and takes 45 mins so looking at approx. 1hr10min) and Gatwick (10 mins to Victoria station, 30 mins to Gatwick by train which is every 15mins).

London City Airport would be quickest and it's on the DLR so you could be there from Covent Garden in about 40 mins, maybe a little less.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Emsy 1

Hi, would anyone have a spare free adult entry from the kellogs box lying about that they could post. We are heading to London soon and it would be such a saving as all the attractions cost a bomb 😀

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

Buy some cereal over and cut the voucher off the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Emsy 1

Well now why did I not think of that....? genius idea cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Contactless Debit card/ Oyster card if flying into Heathrow, Gatwick, or City.

Stansted or Luton will require separate purchase to get into the city and then oyster/debit for all transport within London

Do you know how much it costs to get the train from Gatwick to say London Bridge by using a contactless or Oyster card? We wouldn't be taking any other bus or tube journeys that day so the daily cap wouldn't apply.

I've always bought tickets online in advance but would like to avoid the queue to collect tickets in Gatwick next time.

• Advertisement

nc6000 wrote: »
    Do you know how much it costs to get the train from Gatwick to say London Bridge by using a contactless or Oyster card? We wouldn't be taking any other bus or tube journeys that day so the daily cap wouldn't apply.

I've always bought tickets online in advance but would like to avoid the queue to collect tickets in Gatwick next time.

£8.30 off peak

Cheaper to buy a ticket at peak times rather than use oyster/contactless

£8.30 off peak

Cheaper to buy a ticket at peak times rather than use oyster/contactless

£8.50 now, new year price increases.

Off peak for Oyster/contactless means touching in anytime except Mondays-Fridays between 06:30-09:30 and
    16:00-19:00.

It is cheaper to split the journey at East Croydon, £6.80 in total (£3.20 + £3.50) off peak. To work you need to touch out of the barriers and back in again, whether that faffing about is worth it is up to you.

Thanks for the replies, I think we'll use Oyster next time from Gatwick. I booked in advance and we were charged just under £25 each return.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭SubatomicKiwi

Heading over for the first time tomorrow - 2 nights. Couple of things I planned on figuring out when I arrived but after finding this thread I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

Staying very close to Euston - anything close by we should be looking out for?

Any restaurant/cafe recommendations within Euston/closer to the London eye etc. ?

Planning on getting the train from Gatwick to Euston - Am I right in thinking we should be using Revolut for that Journey and then picking up Oyster cards in Euston for the rest?

Also need to get the train from Euston to Watford for the Harry Potter tour - Anyone know where the actual WarnerBros bus is located?

I think we've planned out most of it quite well (Eye, Tussauds, Sea Life, Harry Potter Tour), mostly just looking for transport/food tips/recommendations but if you think we're overlooking anything unmissable please let me know.

Thanks in advance :)

Heading over for the first time tomorrow - 2 nights. Couple of things I planned on figuring out when I arrived but after finding this thread I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

Any restaurant/cafe recommendations within Euston/closer to the London eye etc. ?

Planning on getting the train from Gatwick to Euston - Am I right in thinking we should be using Revolut for that Journey and then picking up Oyster cards in Euston for the rest?

Also need to get the train from Euston to Watford for the Harry Potter tour - Anyone know where the actual WarnerBros bus is located?

I think we've planned out most of it quite well (Eye, Tussauds, Sea Life, Harry Potter Tour), mostly just looking for transport/food tips/recommendations but if you think we're overlooking anything unmissable please let me know.

Thanks in advance :)

There's no need to switch to Oyster at all, just use your contactless cards throughout.

The Harry Potter bus runs from the bus stands directly outside Watford Junction station, it's hard to miss as the busses are covered in a Harry Potter wrap. The shuttle bus is only for tour customers but is charged separately in cash.

You can use contactless for Euston-Watford Junction, be sure to get a London Northwestern train that stops there NOT the Overground train that terminates there as they take much longer (20min v 50min)

Journeys to Watford Junction are charged at £5.60 (or £8.80 peak Monday-Friday 4-7pm) each way so make sure to have enough cleared balance on your card to cover these fares in addition to any other use for that day.

There is a cheaper way to get to Watford Junction but it involves a long tube ride and a lengthy local bus journey and unless you are a serious skinflint is not worth the time or complication.

Contactless will be the cheapest for you, just make sure you have enough on your Revolut to pay for it before you travel and for the next day or two until the full TfL charge is taken out.

For Gatwick to Euston get Thameslink to St Pancras, it's only a 5-10 minute walk from Euston, easier than changing to Underground at Victoria.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    There's no need to switch to Oyster at all, just use your contactless cards throughout.

The Harry Potter bus runs from the bus stands directly outside Watford Junction station, it's hard to miss as the busses are covered in a Harry Potter wrap. The shuttle bus is only for tour customers but is charged separately in cash.

You can use contactless for Euston-Watford Junction, be sure to get a London Northwestern train that stops there NOT the Overground train that terminates there as they take much longer (20min v 50min)

Journeys to Watford Junction are charged at £5.60 (or £8.80 peak Monday-Friday 4-7pm) each way so make sure to have enough cleared balance on your card to cover these fares in addition to any other use for that day.

There is a cheaper way to get to Watford Junction but it involves a long tube ride and a lengthy local bus journey and unless you are a serious skinflint is not worth the time or complication.

Contactless will be the cheapest for you, just make sure you have enough on your Revolut to pay for it before you travel and for the next day or two until the full TfL charge is taken out.

For Gatwick to Euston get Thameslink to St Pancras, it's only a 5-10 minute walk from Euston, easier than changing to Underground at Victoria.

Thanks a lot, is it true contactless authorises £10 per day?

What's the timing like for the trains? Does the St Pancras & Northwestern to Watford run often?

Thanks a lot, is it true contactless authorises £10 per day?

What's the timing like for the trains? Does the St Pancras & Northwestern to Watford run often?

Daily caps as follows:

Zone 1-2

£7.00

Zone 1-3

£8.20

Zone 1-4

£10.10

Zone 1-5

£12.00

Zone 1-6

£12.80

Daily caps as follows:

Zone 1-2

£7.00

Zone 1-3

£8.20

Zone 1-4

£10.10

Zone 1-5

£12.00

Zone 1-6

£12.80

Thanks for that.

Do not you know if the ore authorization stuff is still true?

I know when revolut announced compatibility with TFL they said there'd be a £10 pre-authorization charge per day along with the actual final transaction charge. PreAuth clears in about a week but just means keeping an extra £10 per day in revolut.

Had seen some comments that they'd reduced it to £1.50 but can't seem to get a definite answer - not a big deal but I like to just top up revolut as I go

Some Harry Potter scenes were filmed outside St Pancras. Not sure exactly which ones but I believe they used the hotel beside the station. You might recognise it when you see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Big Words

The bus that transfers to the train station does any one know what bay it is? Is it where the short, long term buses arrive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Do revolut mastercards work with tfl contactless now, or is there still an issue ? I recall some issue in the past.
    Anyone used an n26 contactless mastercard with it ?

Thanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

fmul9798 wrote: »
    Do revolut mastercards work with tfl contactless...

All I can say is that my Visa Revolut card works fine with tfl.

Ponster wrote: »
    All I can say is that my Visa Revolut card works fine with tfl.

My Revolut is one of the older Mastercard ones and it also worked.

I would suggest not to be 100% dependent on Revolut, have your bank issued card available as a back-up just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Depends on the type of food and if you have kids (asking because of the harry potter thing, but lots of adults go on their own and love it) or not and if the kids are adventurous or are looking for a variation on something found at home... lots of if's buts and maybes in there....

Camden & Chalk Farm are only up the road from Euston or if you want to do the west end thing, it's also very close. There are loads of options from MIchelin star to rough and ready - it's frankly impossible to cover all bases

A couple of suggestions

Indian Food - 15 minute walk from Euston well worth it
    http://www.dishoom.com/kings-cross/

Little bit further, over in clerkenwell
    http://www.hammertongs.co.uk/
    South African meat feast place

London eye - lots of street food places along the south bank - most of the restaurants are chain style and not my cup of tea
    Southbank food market behind the Royal Festival Hall is worth checking out.

Personally I would grab a cab over to borough market
    http://www.arabicabarandkitchen.com/
    Great middle eastern restaurant

In the same area, one of the best tapas restaurants in London
    https://www.brindisakitchens.com/restaurant/tapas-brindisa-london-bridge/

https://www.oxotower.co.uk/
    Not been for many years, but the views alone are possibly worth it - it was expensive but the food was always a high standard - short stroll along the river from the eye

Those are in the main adult orientated, although the street food & market options around southbank are great for all ages.

If the kids are the younger end of primary school the rainforest cafe in Piccadilly is a good bet, expensive for what it is but kids seem to love it
    Planet Hollywood, sticky fingers or hard rock cafe are a similar vein for slightly older kids

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

endabob1 wrote: »
    Depends on the type of food and if you have kids (asking because of the harry potter thing, but lots of adults go on their own and love it) or not and if the kids are adventurous or are looking for a variation on something found at home... lots of if's buts and maybes in there....

Camden & Chalk Farm are only up the road from Euston or if you want to do the west end thing, it's also very close. There are loads of options from MIchelin star to rough and ready - it's frankly impossible to cover all bases

A couple of suggestions

Indian Food - 15 minute walk from Euston well worth it
    http://www.dishoom.com/kings-cross/

shame their trip was in february :rolleyes::pac:
    Little bit further, over in clerkenwell
    http://www.hammertongs.co.uk/
    South African meat feast place

London eye - lots of street food places along the south bank - most of the restaurants are chain style and not my cup of tea
    Southbank food market behind the Royal Festival Hall is worth checking out.

Personally I would grab a cab over to borough market
    http://www.arabicabarandkitchen.com/
    Great middle eastern restaurant

In the same area, one of the best tapas restaurants in London
    https://www.brindisakitchens.com/restaurant/tapas-brindisa-london-bridge/

https://www.oxotower.co.uk/
    Not been for many years, but the views alone are possibly worth it - it was expensive but the food was always a high standard - short stroll along the river from the eye

Those are in the main adult orientated, although the street food & market options around southbank are great for all ages.

If the kids are the younger end of primary school the rainforest cafe in Piccadilly is a good bet, expensive for what it is but kids seem to love it
    Planet Hollywood, sticky fingers or hard rock cafe are a similar vein for slightly older kids

Shame their trip was in February :rolleyes::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Shame their trip was in February :rolleyes::pac:

Oops, I should visit here more often :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

endabob1 wrote: »
    Oops, I should visit here more often :o

that hammertongs place does look nice though! might have to try it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bobbobb

Hi so I'm heading off to london next saturday until tuesday and was wondering about oyster cards.
    It's my partner and I(both 21) and my two sisters (19,17) myself and my partner both have revolut cards which I'm not sure if they work like oyster cards, we're staying fairly close to the city, and flying in fron gatwick, is there a difference between using a revolut and an oyster card? How much would you load the oyster with? Do you have to prepurchase the cards or can you get them there?
    And if anyone has any recommendations for activities that would be amazing

You will all have to pay adult fares, the 17 year old could have had a child 50% discount zip Oyster card but this has to be applied for 4 weeks in advance.

Revolut should work, most people have no problems with it on TfL, just make sure to have enough credit loaded on to it before use and throughout your stay.

I assume the two teens also have a contactless card of some kind, it will be easiest for them to use these, if not Oyster cards can be bought at the TfL visitor centres in Gatwick.

Do not use Gatwick Express trains, they charge much more for no benefit, thy aren't even more comfortable than the other trains any longer.

For Victoria get Southern services, just make sure it is a fast train (no more than 2 intermediate stops) For London Bridge, Blackfriars, Kings Cross get Thameslink (usually with destination of Bedford or Cambridge) and again make sure there are not lots of intermediate stops before Central London (East Croydon, London Bridge are the fast ones)

Look at the 2for1 offers for which a low value rail ticket will be needed, search this thread for previous posts with advice on that.
    https://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/2for1-london

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

bobbobb wrote: »
    Hi so I'm heading off to london next saturday until tuesday and was wondering about oyster cards.
    It's my partner and I(both 21) and my two sisters (19,17) myself and my partner both have revolut cards which I'm not sure if they work like oyster cards, we're staying fairly close to the city, and flying in fron gatwick, is there a difference between using a revolut and an oyster card? How much would you load the oyster with? Do you have to prepurchase the cards or can you get them there?
    And if anyone has any recommendations for activities that would be amazing

If you have a Revolut, go with that, for all purchases. The only reason I'd use Oyster is because it's linked to my gold travel card so I get a discount for off-peak travel. If not for that I'd just use contactless on my usual bank card (local).

If anyone doesn't have a Revolut and need an Oyster, iirc you can just get them from the machines in most/all stations. They cost a refundable fiver (I think, it's been a long time. . .). How much you'd top it up by depends on how much travelling is planned, too difficult to say. You can top them up at the stations or via online when needed.

Advertisement