Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Licence - ALL TV licence discussion/queries in this thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭red bellied

Bob24 wrote: »
    Yep. I have a 43in 4K monitor with 2 HDMI ports which works very well as a tuner free TV alternative, and with the savings on TV licence it will pay for itself in less than 3 years.

As long as no device at home is capable of tuning terrestrial, satellite, or cable TV signal no licence is required.

Young fella is away in college and has a TV with tuner but not capable of saorview. It was bought locally but only does UK freeview. Does he still have to pay? He only uses it for Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Young fella is away in college and has a TV with tuner but not capable of saorview. It was bought locally but only does UK freeview. Does he still have to pay? He only uses it for Xbox.

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Yes, as long as the device has a TV tuner he has to pay. Even if that tuner is not compatible with soarview.

Depending on how long he’s going to use it, it might be worth selling the TV and buying a large monitor instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Delta2113

According to the new ad if you watch box sets you must have a licence. Has the law changed or are they just chancing their arm?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭highdef

Delta2113 wrote: »
    According to the new ad if you watch box sets you must have a licence. Has the law changed or are they just chancing their arm?

That ad has me confused too.

• Advertisement

Is the ad available online for a look? (I genuinely don’t watch TV)

Sky of Virgin Media boxes require a licences, but an Apple TV, Roku or so on don’t require one as far as I know.

Is the ad available online for a look? (I genuinely don’t watch TV)

I watch TV, but not ads so I too would like a link to it, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I watch TV, but not ads so I too would like a link to it, thanks.

The ad is vague on purpose, it says "if you watch box-sets on a TV". Then it goes on and on about some drivel that might happen in real life but is part of a series you might be currently watching and that is just one of the rules of life in Ireland blah ****ing blah.

Elmo wrote: »
    The ad is vague on purpose, it says "if you watch box-sets on a TV". Then it goes on and on about some drivel that might happen in real life but is part of a series you might be currently watching and that is just one of the rules of life in Ireland blah ****ing blah.

You do not have to watch anything on the TV, just possessing one means you need a licence!

Weird!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

You do not have to watch anything on the TV, just possessing one means you need a licence!

Weird!

It's a television licence, not a watching licence.

You can watch all the pre-recorded or streaming media you like (provided it is not a scheduled broadcast) on a monitor but if you have equipment capable of receiving a broadcast signal then it has to be licenced.

• Advertisement

You can watch all the pre-recorded or streaming media you like (provided it is not a scheduled broadcast) on a monitor but if you have equipment capable of receiving a broadcast signal then it has to be licenced.

Emmm I think you could watch any of the Irish Channels streams on a monitor via their players without need for a TV licence.

Emmm I think you could watch any of the Irish Channels streams on a monitor via their players without need for a TV licence.

Indeed, unless things have changed recently (I don’t believe so), live-streaming RTÉ to a computer monitor using a laptop or a mobile phone and the RTÉ Player app doesn’t require a licence.

Indeed, unless things have changed recently (I don’t believe so), live-streaming RTÉ to a computer monitor using a laptop or a mobile phone and the RTÉ Player app doesn’t require a licence.

Anyone know about IPTV (eir and vodaphone) STB connected to a monitor?

Anyone know about IPTV (eir and vodaphone) STB connected to a monitor?

It’s considered conventional TV broadcast. Licence required.

Weird!

Is that not exactly what I said? :D

Mere possession of a TV means you require a licence ..... whether you watch anything on it or not!

It’s considered conventional TV broadcast. Licence required.

Considered so by whom?

Under what section of the act?

Has the definition of 'broadcast' been changed in the act?

Considered so by whom?

Under what section of the act?

Has the definition of 'broadcast' been changed in the act?

The examples the OP referred to are very clearly and specifically listed in the TV licence FAQ: https://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/More+from+An+Post/TV+Licence/General+TV+Licence+FAQs.htm

"Viewing any TV Programmes broadcast for general reception over broadband (e.g. Eir TV/Vodafone TV) on your monitor requires a TV Licence."

Note that RTE Player and the likes are not listed as requiring a licence, so the FAQ clearly differentiate between these and an Eir/Vodafone tv box.

Now if people want to say An Post is publishing wrong information and test it in court, they are free to do so - but clearly the TV licence FAQ does include this type of use in what the act calls an "electronic apparatus capable of receiving and exhibiting television broadcasting services broadcast for general reception".

The examples the OP referred to are very clearly and specifically listed in the TV licence FAQ: https://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/More+from+An+Post/TV+Licence/General+TV+Licence+FAQs.htm

"Viewing any TV Programmes broadcast for general reception over broadband (e.g. Eir TV/Vodafone TV) on your monitor requires a TV Licence."

Note that RTE Player and the likes are not listed as requiring a licence, so the FAQ clearly differentiate between these and an Eir/Vodafone tv box.

Now if people want to say An Post is publishing wrong information and test it in court, they are free to do so - but clearly the TV licence FAQ does include this type of use in what the act calls an "electronic apparatus capable of receiving and exhibiting television broadcasting services broadcast for general reception".

Thank you.
    That makes things much clearer.

The 2009 Act has this definition:
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2009/act/18/enacted/en/print#sec2
    “ broadcast ” means the transmission, relaying or distribution by electronic communications network of communications, sounds, signs, visual images or signals, intended for direct reception by the general public whether such communications, sounds, signs, visual images or signals are actually received or not;

IMO neither the eir, nor vodafone services could be regarded as coming under that definition, as they are not intended for reception by the general public, but only by their respective customers.

Maybe there is something other than 'broadcast' under which they fall, I don't know. I suppose only An Post could answer that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Delta2113

- So answer is chancing their arm - typical Ireland!

- So answer is chancing their arm - typical Ireland!

Yeah chancing they're arm that you won't notice that they say "on a TV", but they are correct so you can't complain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Licence expired 07/02/19, I sent in Direct Debit mandate form last Wednesday, still got final warning in post today, do they acknowledge DD form receipt?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Licence expired 07/02/19, I sent in Direct Debit mandate form last Wednesday, still got final warning in post today, do they acknowledge DD form receipt?

I got a letter confirming receipt, although they then neglected to send the tv licence, so I had to ring them to re-send.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

Hi just wanted to ask if I get a very large display classed as a HDMI monitor , a very big pc screen basically , will I need to go out and get a tv license for it? , will be using it to screen movies/40d/ YouTube / vimeo run off a laptop.

Read a few posts here about anything with USB ports being potentially a receiving device , bit confused on it .

Also looking at projector s for the same use but some of them have USB ports too .

If anyone can shine a light it's much appreciated

Hi just wanted to ask if I get a very large display classed as a HDMI monitor , a very big pc screen basically , will I need to go out and get a tv license for it? , will be using it to screen movies/40d/ YouTube / vimeo run off a laptop.

Read a few posts here about anything with USB ports being potentially a receiving device , bit confused on it .

Also looking at projector s for the same use but some of them have USB ports too .

If you can receive broadcast TV then you need a licence ..... whether or not there is a broadcast and whether or not you watch it.
    The capability is what is licenced.
    It matters not if that capability is achieved in one device or a combination of different devices. The end result is that a licence is required for having that capability.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

AFAIK it's having antenna ports (for either and aerial or satellite) which would naturally include a built in tuner that would be a problem.

Technically just having a dish makes you liable for the licence, but I have responsibility for a property with a dish but no TV (I removed the TV, Saorview box, free to air box, video recorder from the house).
    I then signed the legal declaration and told them any time they want to check they can, just give me a call.
    Haven't heard from them for over a year now I think.

AFAIK it's having antenna ports (for either and aerial or satellite) which would naturally include a built in tuner that would be a problem.

Technically just having a dish makes you liable for the licence, but I have responsibility for a property with a dish but no TV (I removed the TV, Saorview box, free to air box, video recorder from the house).
    I then signed the legal declaration and told them any time they want to check they can, just give me a call.
    Haven't heard from them for over a year now I think.

That is not true.
    The law has been quoted sufficient times in this thread to make that obvious.

The computer monitor or projector alone don’t require a licence (unless they have a built in TV tuner, which is sometimes the case so double-check the specs before buying).

However if somewhere in your house you have a soarview receiver, or any device capable of receiving cable/satellite TV signal (for exemple a Virgin Media TV box), then you need a licence as the could be combined with the monitor/projector to receive TV broadcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Sagitt

I got this letter today:

Dear Sir / Madam,
    A Television Licence Inspector visited the above address recently. Unfortunately, he/she did hot speak with you at the time, but he/she observed evidence of a Television Set at the premises on that date.
    At the date of production of this letter there is no record of a current Television Licence at your address, and as such further action will now be taken unless TV Licence is purchased immediately.

For the start, if I had TV at home I would obtain TV Licence and I would have no problem with paying for.

We moved at the current address last year. On my previous address initially we had TV Licence but at some stage we cancelled it. I received about 5 letters afterwards where I had to clarify that TV Set is not at the premises. I rang several times TV Licence Records Office and was assured that if there is no TV Set at the premises then TV Licence is not liable. 'At premises' means shed also - if I had old TV lying in shed I would be liable. We even had TV inspector visited house where he himself admitted that there was no TV at premises, at all.

Fast forward, we moved to where we are now. Last year TV inspector called into inquiring about TV Licence. I had invited him inside to see there was no TV. He declined my invitation and went away.

Today I got the above letter and I am fuming inside. There is satellite dish left by previous owner but there is no TV set at the premises. I mean, we have no TV nor any other device capable to receiving any TV signal. All I have is few laptops / desktops but not even one has tv cards, tuners, USB dongles - nothing that you could watch any TV channel. It might sounds weird but we do not watch TV at all. Yes, I have broadband connection but as far as I know this is not liable for TV Licence.

What does law say about as there are some controversies around what is 'TV Set', can someone clarify if I do have TV Set in the legislation definition?

Second issue is with the 'observed evidence' - nobody talked to me / my wife but evidence was observed. How do I know if anybody was actually visiting premises? He / she might not even bothered to call into and just assumed we have TV Set for which we are liable. Can this be explained to me?

Apologies for bit long post,
    thanks for reading

• Registered Users Posts: 14,604 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You might be better of replying to them and explaining that you do not have a TV.
    If you don't have one you don't need a licence.
    Just read back the last few pages of this thread for more information.

• Advertisement

I would respond stating that is no TV at the premises, and you never had one there.

I would be inclined to call out whoever claimed to have observed a TV on a blatant lie.
    but he/she observed evidence of a Television Set at the premises on that date.

If this had been worded as Television Service and not TV Set, then they could claim reasonable deduction because of the satellite dish.
    They did not, so it is a blatant lie.

This behaviour is gone beyond a joke.
    People are losing time at work and money or holiday time to attend court and apparently can get no redress.

Advertisement