Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheelie Bins - who owns them?

Options
  • 11-02-2019 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this is in the wrong place.
    Recently bought a new home and asked for the existing wheelie bins to be removed as we use a different waste disposal method. The previous owner said she'd arrange.
    4 weeks on and she was reminded again once, she said she'd contacted fthe company for collection last week, but they're still there. They are unsightly really and we want them gone. I called the company myself today and they said they'd collect them within 7 days and to leave them empty at the front. I warned that if passers by put rubbish in I'm not paying to have them re emptied. The company reiterated they'd have to be empty....
    After 7 days if they're still there what can I do with them? I'm aware they're not my property but they're unwanted property with plenty of leeway to have them collected by now.
    A friend suggested selling them on DoneDeal but am wary as they aren't mine to sell; nonetheless they are unwanted and attracting potential litter the longer they sit there!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They belong to the waste company, you can't sell them or otherwise do anything with them. In order to do anything, you'd have to be reasonably satisfied that the company had abandoned them. Usual rule is six months.

If they're not empty, that's not your problem. The company would have to prove that they weren't empty when you put them out for collection. They have no details to bill you with so, if they try to bill you, throw it in the bin.

My understanding is that part of their permit includes an obligation to take their bins away within a set period of time (which I think is 7 days). Contact your local authority and they should be able to tell you. If they're not collected within the required time, you can make a complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

maxsmum wrote: »
    ....as we use a different waste disposal method...

How do you get rid of your rubbish?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Could you try contact the council litter warden, and report the company as leaving rubbish on the street, they said the would collect within 7 days and now havn't so in effect its now littering.

I'd contact them again anyway if its only just been 7 days since you contacted them, maybe give them another 7. After that maybe put up an ad on freecycle or one of those, they are not yours to sell, but if they are abandoned isn't it better that someone would make use of them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Just call the Waste Company.
    I done it just 2 weeks ago for a family member, Greyhound.

Called them and let them know the previous owners bins were still in the garden. They were full.
    They sent one truck that empties the bins then another to collect the actual bins.

All done within a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

When we bought our house there were 4 full wheelie bins left behind. We paid to have them emptied as the previous occupants just refused to engage and weeks later we got sick of looking at them.

The company wouldn't collect them until they were empty so we just had to pay.
    That said, we were given multiple different responses about what was involved in removing them, so maybe contact the company multiple times until you like what you hear lol.
    E.g we were told
    - we couldn't pay to have them emptied without previous customers permission
    - there was a charge to have them removed even if empty (we were going to empty them into a skip)
    - there was a charge per bin for both emptying and removing

In the end we paid one flat charge to have all 4 emptied and there was no charge to have them removed once empty

I'm very curious as to what alternative method you use to dispose of your rubbish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

We use a different company, you buy the stickers in the shop and pop them on your black bags for collection. Much cheaper.
    There's no way these yokes are hanging around my garden for 6 months, they're not mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Tape them up so passers by won’t put rubbish in them

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Loadedscream

I had awful trouble getting old bins removed after we moved into our new house. We had them in the front garden waiting to be collected for c.4 weeks. We gave them a final chance to collect them after which they didn't do so I just sold them on done deal. Never heard anything from the company.

Probably wasn't supposed to but I had no contractual arrangement with the company and as far as i was concerned they were abandoned on my property and i gave them ample opportunity to collect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

I had awful trouble getting old bins removed after we moved into our new house. We had them in the front garden waiting to be collected for c.4 weeks. We gave them a final chance to collect them after which they didn't do so I just sold them on done deal. Never heard anything from the company.

Probably wasn't supposed to but I had no contractual arrangement with the company and as far as i was concerned they were abandoned on my property and i gave them ample opportunity to collect them.

You see, that's my point
    If someone owns property, has been asked on more than a few occasions to collect it, and doesn't, why should I hang onto it?
    I will at least advertise them as free on DoneDeal if it comes to it, so at least I am not seen to profit I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,198 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

maxsmum wrote: »
    You see, that's my point
    If someone owns property, has been asked on more than a few occasions to collect it, and doesn't, why should I hang onto it?
    I will at least advertise them as free on DoneDeal if it comes to it, so at least I am not seen to profit I guess.

You can’t put them out on the street either; that’s littering!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

We changed from Oxigen to another Waste Bin provider.
    It took Oxigen about 3 months before they finally collected the bins from us...so it seems that it's the trend for them to not really bother their behind until it well and truly suits them....

Advertisement