Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Arghus wrote: »
    Yeah, the real animosity was clear by the end, though I think Morgan managed to maintain some dignity. Dunphy was reduced to really cheap stuff.

I know it's from over 23 years ago, but Dunphy comes across fairly terribly in that snippet - a real self-satisfied bully.

Your bias is apparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,358 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

riemann wrote: »
    Your bias is apparent.

Cool story bro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Still Ill

The Elon Musk podcast was pretty all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Still Ill wrote: »
    Yeah Dunphy didnt have a clue. The chat with Dermot Gileece was excellent for anyone with any interest in golf

Bernie Sanders(79) is the runaway leader among Democrat voters for 2020 presidential election.

Hope this is discussed on the next US podcast;

and his supporters are trying to stymie Beto O'Rourke's chances to ensure that he doesn't end up being a proper challenger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭Genghis

Still Ill wrote: »

Yes, was quite irritating how Eamo displayed no real awareness of the subject and continually interrupted the conversation flow from his guest. Ordinarily Eamo is good at the long form / detailed expertise but on this occasion it's like he was much further out of his depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 deep_dish

I enjoyed the Elon episode. It was like chatting to your grand-uncle about it. He was enthusiastic, but I don't know if he understood it.

I thought it was poignant when Eamo said he wouldn't be around to see Elon's dreams potentially come to fruition.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Genghis wrote: »
    continually interrupted the conversation flow from his guest.

This is a bugbear of mine on what is otherwise an excellent podcast. He is not quite at the Marian Finucane level of interrupting guests but he doe stilt a lot of conversation flow with needless interruptions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

The recent horse racing ones were great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

The recent horse racing ones were great.

Agree, the Ted Walsh one in particular was brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 deep_dish

Eamo is not a fan of the Gardaí. In fairness, the levels of unprofessional-ism are flabbergasting.

I feel very sorry for the majority whose good reputation is being tarnished by these backward fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,306 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Agree, the Ted Walsh one in particular was brilliant.

He also did an excellent long interview on off the ball just before Christmas. Available as a podcast.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Another Golf one with Dermot Gilleece dropped this evening. Hopefully Eamon can make him his regular golf go to.

Gotta say I'm no big golf fan but I'd listen to Dermot all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,315 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I really enjoyed the first Dermot Gilleece podcast, I haven't heard the latest one yet. Even if you're not a big golf fan I still think it's worth listening to Gilleece. He's one of those guys that you could listen to no matter the topic.

I must listen to the Ted Walsh interview, I think I'll like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Nice pod there recently on the "Magic of the Cup".

I lol'ed when Eamon asked did Gilesy remember meeting the Duke of Edinburgh before the 62 Cup final and Jonny goes "no, I don't actually ..............and the funny thing is, he doesn't remember meeting me either!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭steve_r

Imhof Tank wrote: »

I lol'ed when Eamon asked did Gilesy remember meeting the Duke of Edinburgh before the 62 Cup final and Jonny goes "no, I don't actually ..............and the funny thing is, he doesn't remember meeting me either!"

Yeah I really liked - Giles came across really well - giving away the cup final tickets and being honoured by the whole occasion and getting to meet the 1948 team

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Imhof Tank wrote: »

I normally skip the football ones (because, you know, football), but I did listen to this. Some memory on Giles too. Very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,021 ✭✭✭applehunter

Informative interview with Niall Stanage re : Govt Shutdown.

Very powerful interview with Vicky Phelan. Dunphy is very good at these interviews

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Will listen to the vicky phelan one later, but I did listen to the soccer pod with John Giles and Didi
    Hamman and it was shockingly bad.

Now, I normally give Eamo and Giles a wide berth, some might enjoy them but I normally give them a miss as they are like 2 old farts rehashing the same tired clichés... If lads enjoy listening to them fair enough but you know... Anyway I tuned in because I hadn't heard Didi in a while and was interested in his opinions for a change.

What annoyed me was some of the factual details Eamo got so wrong... 1: Mo Salah got a yellow card at the weekend for diving (he didn't) 2: Bayern have offered 80 million quid for a young lad from Chelsea (the highest figure I've seen quoted was 35 million) 3: Mauricio Pachetino has hit out in recent days at Spurs hierarchy for not buying players (I've seen no reports on this anywhere recently.)

There were others, but these basic untruths would call into question the amount of research and editing on the pod. I know Eamo. Is a loose cannon at the best of times, but if he can make up stuff like this, it would put a shadow over the accuracy etc of the more serious issues he covers, like the garda whistle-blower story (with the excellent Mick Clifford) and the aforementioned Vicky Phelan interview.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

I know Eamo. Is a loose cannon at the best of times, but if he can make up stuff like this, it would put a shadow over the accuracy etc of the more serious issues he covers, like the garda whistle-blower story (with the excellent Mick Clifford) and the aforementioned Vicky Phelan interview.

I like to think Eamonn has a split personality.

The complete gob****e when talking about soccer.

The measured and informed journalist when discussing anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,315 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

• Registered Users Posts: 15,306 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I find his podcasts entertaining but grasp of detail was never his strong point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Emtec

Everything about Eamon's interviews with Nicola is old and repetitive at this point. The same old crap out of him the whole time about cocaine being a middle class drug. Rubbish.

Coke has been the drug of choice for anyone with a day's wages and an arse in their trousers for the past 15 years, even during the recession. The quality of ecstasy plummeted in the early 00s and coke took a hold. E, and its offshoots, strengthened again but it's not social in the way that coke is and won't get a hold the way it once did.

I'm from a working class community and I work in the commercial law sector, so I see I wide range of class types in both environments. Coke is the drug of choice for them all and their net salary has nothing got to do with that choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

At least he freely admits that he has been a drug user in his past, would be a bit disingenuous of him if he didn't.

He does have a right horn about the Regency shooting though, his pieces with Nicola Tallant have become very repetitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

listening to some of the premier league round ups and previews when he has giles on and johnny seems to have lost his sense of humour and gone very serious when talking about things teams have done in a game. dunphy made a smart remark about johnny wearing his man city shirt the other day and he nearly lost the plot with dunphy. far more light hearted when hes brady & hamann on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Still Ill

neris wrote: »
    listening to some of the premier league round ups and previews when he has giles on and johnny seems to have lost his sense of humour and gone very serious when talking about things teams have done in a game. dunphy made a smart remark about johnny wearing his man city shirt the other day and he nearly lost the plot with dunphy. far more light hearted when hes brady & hamann on

Haha.. I thought this was hilarious. Eamon's always having sly little digs at Giles because he doesn't have the same bizarre vendetta as him against Pep.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

dulpit wrote: »
    At least he freely admits that he has been a drug user in his past, would be a bit disingenuous of him if he didn't.

He does have a right horn about the Regency shooting though, his pieces with Nicola Tallant have become very repetitive.

Sunday World bollox-talk.

Today's with Mick Clifford re childrens hospital is very good, heads will have to roll

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Mick Clifford is always excellent and balanced. The podcast was a good listen but Eamonn should have left out all the references to the nurses as it just sounded populist, and wasn't relevant to the conversation. And he seems to think that the nursing unions would be flexible in making changes to working practices which is bizarre, given the history of unions and their penchant for doing a shakedown of the the Government for even the most minor of changes to running any public service department. Like I said should have just left it out of this particular discussion.

Advertisement