Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,759 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I enjoy the coverage of the gang wars which I think is under reported in this country.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

I enjoy the coverage of the gang wars which I think is under reported in this country.

I'd really welcome some actual reporting. Not just sensationalism, cartoon nicknames, and bad puns as headlines.

D.Q wrote: »
    I'd really welcome some actual reporting. Not just sensationalism, cartoon nicknames, and bad puns as headlines.

I'm just talking about the podcast, I don't read newspapers so I don't know about headlines but on the podcast I don't think she sensationalises anything and the nicknames well they're just facts, she's not making it up.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I'm just talking about the podcast, I don't read newspapers so I don't know about headlines but on the podcast I don't think she sensationalises anything and the nicknames well they're just facts, she's not making it up.

How can you say that gangland is unreported if you don't read newspapers?

glasso wrote: »
    How can you say that gangland is unreported if you don't read newspapers?

You do realise there's more ways of getting the news than reading newspapers ;)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

You can't claim something is unreported if you don't read the reporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,044 ✭✭✭✭neris

the nicknames well they're just facts, she's not making it up.

Think Dunphy gets a better kick out of the nicknames and how they got them

rags like the star are full of stories about gangland every week.

It's their bread and butter news and hits their target demographic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

https://twitter.com/Johnsmi84534254/status/1065720857115406336

This is the account that Nicola Tallant referred to...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

The replay of the Stephen Kenny interview shows how much he's come on as an interviewer. Was very poor back then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

The replay of the Stephen Kenny interview shows how much he's come on as an interviewer. Was very poor back then.

Agree that the interview didn't flow very well but I think that was more to do with Stephen Kenny. I think it was nerves and he's not used to it. Dunphy probes where he can get a sniff of a good narrative. He has a good sense for that, better than many of our top journalists.

For Kenny, I'm sure dealing with media will be part of his training programme with Mick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Agree that the interview didn't flow very well but I think that was more to do with Stephen Kenny. I think it was nerves and he's not used to it. Dunphy probes where he can get a sniff of a good narrative. He has a good sense for that, better than many of our top journalists.

For Kenny, I'm sure dealing with media will be part of his training programme with Mick!

It was more the lack of research on Dunphys part I found. He kept stating stuff that Kenny had to correct. He's so much better prepared these days.
    I'd agree that Kenny isn't a good interview though. Too measured and not natural enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Between avoiding the gutter journalism that is "Ireland's gangland warfare" and anything with trump in the title I'm down to about 1/2 podcasts.

Was enjoying the podcasts until recently. Not sure what has changed but don't really know what direction the show is heading, and doubt Eamon does either.

At least he's unpredictable!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,331 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

riemann wrote: »
    Between avoiding the gutter journalism that is "Ireland's gangland warfare" and anything with trump in the title I'm down to about 1/2 podcasts.

It is a bit mental how those two topics seem to make up about half of his content.

So much other stuff he could cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭bamayang

Gave Bertie some intro today...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I thought it was very insightful in relation to the gfa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

He did plamás him in the intro alright, but Bertie earned his place to be fair, added value to the debate

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I'm back listening to this podcast, and really enjoying it. Dunphy has improved a lot as a host, and you get the feeling he is really enjoying this new format. His politics is pure ' man on the street' populism, but he's a natural interviewer. He gets good regular guests as well.

The soccer podcasts are excellent, and Giles is more on top of his brief in terms of players, teams, and tactics than he has been in years. They do go on about the good old days of Busby, Shankley and Revie a bit too much, but that's a minor complaint.

I presume Giles, Brady, and possibly, Hamann have a stake in this new podcast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

I'm back listening to this podcast, and really enjoying it. Dunphy has improved a lot as a host, and you get the feeling he is really enjoying this new format. His politics is pure ' man on the street' populism, but he's a natural interviewer. He gets good regular guests as well.

The soccer podcasts are excellent, and Giles is more on top of his brief in terms of players, teams, and tactics than he has been in years. They do go on about the good old days of Busby, Shankley and Revie a bit too much, but that's a minor complaint.

I presume Giles, Brady, and possibly, Hamann have a stake in this new podcast?

I get the feeling that Giles and to a lesser degree Brady are genuinely very good friends with Dunphy. He lets slip that he regularly talks with Giles by ringing him during matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I get the feeling that Giles and to a lesser degree Brady are genuinely very good friends with Dunphy. He lets slip that he regularly talks with Giles by ringing him during matches.

It very much comes across in the podcast. There's a genuine affection for each other. Bill O'Herhily told a lovely story at a dinner one evening about how Dunphy would persuade himself and Giles to head into town after a Saturday night game to anywhere there was piano. Dunphy hadn't a note in his head, but would soon be up singing. He'd then do the 'and now, my good friend, John Giles'. Giles would be hopping mad, but would head up anyway to join Eamonn for a rendition of some Dean Martin or Frank Sinatra cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,044 ✭✭✭✭neris

I like the football podcasts but I think Giles is a bit too serious at times and doesnt get the sarcasm from Dunphy and also gets very defensive at times when Dunphy says something about him

• Registered Users Posts: 14,370 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's a bit off topic, but it popped up in my youtube suggestions today, so why not? It's slightly relevant to the man - and it's gas.

Dunphy on Vincent Browne's radio show, probably on 98FM or something, the night after Ireland lost the playoff to Holland in '95. The earlier part of the conversation seems to be missing, which is a real pity, because this is radio gold. Eamonn is clearly drunk and in amazingly obnoxious form - He's being a complete ass, it's really quite amazing: he wouldn't be let within a mile of a mic in that condition today and if he said even a third of what he said here he'd be issuing grovelling press releases for the next ten years. It's the sound of a man who knows he can get away with being a complete asshole. The way he winds up a somewhat pompus caller is pretty genius.

Dermot Morgan calls in later in the clip and the two of them bicker with not-even disguised bitterness. Dermot makes him sound fairly stupid.

"Dermot, you fcking hate me..."

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭bamayang

Arghus wrote: »
    It's a bit off topic, but it popped up in my youtube suggestions today, so why not? It's slightly relevant to the man - and it's gas.

Dunphy on Vincent Browne's radio show, probably on 98FM or something, the night after Ireland lost the playoff to Holland in '95. The earlier part of the conversation seems to be missing, which is a real pity, because this is radio gold. Eamonn is clearly drunk and in amazingly obnoxious form - He's being a complete ass, it's really quite amazing: he wouldn't be let within a mile of a mic in that condition today and if he said even a third of what he said here he'd be issuing grovelling press releases for the next ten years. It's the sound of a man who knows he can get away with being a complete asshole. The way he winds up a somewhat pompus caller is pretty genius.

Dermot Morgan calls in later in the clip and the two of them bicker with not-even disguised bitterness. Dermot makes him sound fairly stupid.

"Dermot, you fcking hate me..."

Jesus that was hilarious. What you could get away with then!!!

Would it have been 95 tho? Talking about TV3 and that only launched in 98.

Think it's 95, they are talking about "the game from last night" which sounds like the Holland playoff game. TV3 launched in 98, but I'm sure planning was afoot by 95.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

TV3 was licensed in 1990, going by the sneery comments they must have believed it would never get off the ground.

Almost every time Dunphy appeared on telly there always an 'Is he drunk?' comment on here, there's a true window as to what he was like with a few on board, I like how the Morgan conversation started out politely and went downhill fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭applehunter

Everytime I see A Nell McCafferty picture I think of her in a van full of hardcore Derry City fans farting all the way to Dublin.

TV3 was licensed in 1990, going by the sneery comments they must have believed it would never get off the ground.

Almost every time Dunphy appeared on telly there always an 'Is he drunk?' comment on here, there's a true window as to what he was like with a few on board, I like how the Morgan conversation started out politely and went downhill fast.

Yeah, the real animosity was clear by the end, though I think Morgan managed to maintain some dignity. Dunphy was reduced to really cheap stuff.

I know it's from over 23 years ago, but Dunphy comes across fairly terribly in that snippet - a real self-satisfied bully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Giles and Dunphy have known each other since they were kids. Even before they were at Man United together. Giles brought Dunphy on board when he was manager of Shamrock Rovers. They had a big Roy Keane related bust up in 2002. They didn't speak to each other off air for a long time after. All forgiven now, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

that clip was gas, would have loved to hear the full thing. Imagine the uproar if it happened to day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭applehunter

Bernie Sanders(79) is the runaway leader among Democrat voters for 2020 presidential election.

Hope this is discussed on the next US podcast;

Advertisement