Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body & Soul Festival 2019

• 09-01-2019 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Line-up soon hopefully.

Obviously pitching for the same crowd as All Together Now this year so will be interesting to see if there's any more well known names booked. Know a lot of people choosing ATN over B&S.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

If it is anyway as good as last year - it''ll be great.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

They don't really do much to build up the hype for their flagship festival. They don't seem to be particularly active on social media etc, and they havne't done the announcement about the announcement etc yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I just thought I would post this here seeing as there is a few Galway Body&Souler's as well as a healthy amount of the Whest and North West Body&Souler's as well. Please paste this around if you can, festival lover, festival worker and electronica music fan and sound out guy Robert Murray has went missing for over a week now, you have probably met him at the festivals. We need all the help we can get to find this guy. This is the Facebook group set up to look for him.

And one of the posters made.

Edit: I posted identical posts in the Life and Electric Picnic threads as Robert I think worked all of these festivals especially Life and Body&Soul.

Robert-Murray-poster.jpg

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

It seems some new footage came about and an eye witness, a taxi driver saw a lad in a green jacket smoking a cigarette sitting on O'Brien Bridge and appears that he lost balance and fell backwards into the water. Family and Garda have also been looking at footage of the incident from CCTV have the lad on the bridge and falling backwards, the family have confirmed that its is indeed Robert. So sad to say it looks like this will be the final search to bring in his remains. RIP Robert Murray.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

It seems some new footage came about and an eye witness, a taxi driver saw a lad in a green jacket smoking a cigarette sitting on O'Brien Bridge and appears that he lost balance and fell backwards into the water. Family and Garda have also been looking at footage of the incident from CCTV have the lad on the bridge and falling backwards, the family have confirmed that its is indeed Robert. So sad to say it looks like this will be the final search to bring in his remains. RIP Robert Murray.

God thats awful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,183 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Jeez !!!
    That's terrible... Rip, and condolences to his family and friends !!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

Just me or are the price of tickets a bit steep this year? Was it like 140 or 50 last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

keithkk16 wrote: »
    Just me or are the price of tickets a bit steep this year? Was it like 140 or 50 last year?

For me, not that much different from 2018 although I think they got cheaper the closer it got to the festival. Didn’t sell out and with ATN on the scene I expect a similar story this year (but I have tickets already).

Definitely steep given the lack of big names in recent line-ups. Been going with our kids for so long that it wouldn’t feel like Summer without it but trying ATN as well this year - will be interesting to see how they compare...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭showpony1

haven't been to this before - been at the last 6 EPs and ATN last year.
    Was going to try B&S or Sea Sessions this year.
    any feedback from people who have been to EP/ATN how does this compare?
    older crowd etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

showpony1 wrote: »
    haven't been to this before - been at the last 6 EPs and ATN last year.
    Was going to try B&S or Sea Sessions this year.
    any feedback from people who have been to EP/ATN how does this compare?
    older crowd etc?

I would compare it most to ATN. Free flow booze, older crowd than EP (but younger than ATN), more relaxed and less busy, plenty of chil lout areas such as the walled gardens and the woodlands area, still lots to do for late night revelers too though with the Absolute Bar, Reckless in Love stage and one or two more going on until 4am or later..

It's main weakness is the lineup IMO, they get great irish acts every year but in terms of international names it is way off the likes of EP, ATN or even festivals like Forbidden Fruit, Beatyard, Metropolis. It is very much a music and arts festival as opposed to just music, the site looks great and there are lots of activities over the weekend that are non-music related.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

Any chance of the lineup having bigger names this year seeing as the ticket price keeps going up and it being the 10 year anniversary?

Wouldn't mind the Stray Cats and the B52's from this lot, happening in Spain on the same weekend.

ARF19_adaptaciones-digital_V2-14.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

I would compare it most to ATN. Free flow booze, older crowd than EP (but younger than ATN), more relaxed and less busy, plenty of chil lout areas such as the walled gardens and the woodlands area, still lots to do for late night revelers too though with the Absolute Bar, Reckless in Love stage and one or two more going on until 4am or later..

It's main weakness is the lineup IMO, they get great irish acts every year but in terms of international names it is way off the likes of EP, ATN or even festivals like Forbidden Fruit, Beatyard, Metropolis. It is very much a music and arts festival as opposed to just music, the site looks great and there are lots of activities over the weekend that are non-music related.

If you look at the line up over the years it's been on a steady decline. There was an excuse either last year or the year before that they cut the budget for acts to buy the main stage, and it'll mean more money for acts in the future, but I wouldn't be holding my breath.

They announced Fever Ray were curating the Friday on the 6th Feb last year, and the first announcement in the last week of Feb for the last couple of years, so I would expect a teaser announcement in the next week maybe and the first lineup by the end of the month.

Wilco and the B52s would be great from that Spanish festival.

As regards the decline in the lineup, there was a good post last year by Ferris:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107259557&postcount=224
    I don't get what is going on with the lineup for this festival at all or what the thought process is from the organisers, the lineup has been getting progressively worse every year despite the festival growing in size and ticket prices going up. I feel like it is getting significantly worse too.

2012 - M83, Spiritualized, Villagers, St. Vincent, Little Dragon, Django Django, Gold Panda, The Herbaliser, Shangaan Electro, John Talabot, Lee Fields

2013 - Nick Cave, James Murphy, Nicholas Jaar, Public Image, Solange, **** Buttons, Kurt Vile, Charles Bradley, Pantha du Prince, Jon Hopkin

2014 - Goldfrapp, Caribou, John Grant, Gary Numan, Darkside, of Montreal, Max Romeo, Jon Hopkins, Mount Kimbie, Tom Vek, The Field, James Holden

2015 - Super Furry Animals, Leftfield, Flight Facilities, Asgeir, Savages, Austra, Goat, Nightmares on Wax, James Holden, Talaboman, Tiga, Rhye, Kiasmos

2016 (the first year it seemed to go downhill) - The Gloaming, Santigold, St. Germain, Floating Points, Hudson Mohawke, Mercury Rev, Badbadnotgood, Gold Panda

2017 - Metronomy, Bonobo, Vitalic, Lambchop, Sleaford Mods, Mykki Blanco, Austra, RUFUS, La Femme, Birdynamnam, Sinkane

It has always gone for an alternative kind of lineup but I feel it has gone to the ridiculous point now, surely most people going will know very few acts on this years lineup. How much of a following does Chronixx or Arca or Iron & Wine have in Ireland? Yet tickets are dearer than ever and when you are there it is noticeably more crammed than 3 or 4 years ago.

In fairness to it it's a great festival and has a nice crowd and lovely atmosphere and plenty of fun smaller stages. Maybe it's just me as the arty and family stuff is probably lost on me, maybe I'm not even the target audience! But I don't think this is the same as people complaining on the EP thread that the lineups are getting worse, at least with the acts EP book they have a large following (even if it is for a younger crowd).. Body & Soul seem to be getting more and more obscure every year. Apologies for the rant :pac: anyone else feel this way about it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,128 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

If you look at the line up over the years it's been on a steady decline. There was an excuse either last year or the year before that they cut the budget for acts to buy the main stage, and it'll mean more money for acts in the future, but I wouldn't be holding my breath.

Last year was my first time and I wasn't that excited about the lineup but it didn't matter it's still an awesome weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

2015, what a line up. So many bands i wanted to see. Ruined by what seemed like a harmless space cake which ended up with me being parked in the tent paranoid as hell for the whole of the saturday.

I'd be lucky if i saw 10% of the bands i wanted to see :(

OK conversation is very slow on this thread any guesses from fellow Body & Soulers as to who you think might get announced. Still hoping for some oldies like the B52s, Stray Cats and Wilco. I see Matt Cooper is playing a few festivals in Europe around the same time, perfect electronic chill for Body & Soul.

OK conversation is very slow on this thread any guesses from fellow Body & Soulers as to who you think might get announced. Still hoping for some oldies like the B52s, Stray Cats and Wilco. I see Matt Cooper is playing a few festivals in Europe around the same time, perfect electronic chill for Body & Soul.

Come on tame impala!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Peesh89

Would you reckon Modeselektor might make an appearance?
    A few gigs dotted around Europe in the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭kwat

Would love Maribou State but already at Forbidden Fruit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,128 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It'll be like last year id say. We all want bands we know then the lineup will drop and there'll be 2 names at the top you'll recognise, the rest you won't have a clue but you'll go along anyway and have a great weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Peesh89

Admittedly never listened to Fever Ray before and then a few on boards were super excited about her playing last year so gave it a go and ended up loving it, that gig was absolutely unbelievable.
    There's been a few names on Body and Soul line ups that I haven't known at all and have now become some of my favourite artists.
    I do agree though that the line up in general has gone a tad down hill but deffo always have the best weekend no matter what.

So the announcement for this is tomorrow I presume then ATN on the Tuesday, bring on the names. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Where did you see that bodhrandude?

I seen it somewhere, can't remember but I know its just before ATN.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

I wonder if this link is accurate? If so I'd imagine they might try pull off a bit of a Burning Man vibe this year

https://www.electronic-festivals.com/event/body-soul-festival

"Visionary Burning Man artists will come to create large-scale immersive pieces that all Body&Soulers can participate in"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Price increase tomorrow 6pm,

Tickets currently off sale.

Price increase tomorrow 6pm,

Tickets currently off sale.

That's a sign alright that a announcement is imminent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

that could be the most craic ever

Advertisement