Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ2 + 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

So is my understanding, they will be increasing RTÉ 1+1’s hours (welcome) and RTÉ 2+1 will be similar to what RTÉ 1+1 is now but longer at weekends

RTÉ proposes to make a +1 service of RTÉ2 available, which would be an exact replica of the RTÉ2 schedule in peak-time (from 18:00) Monday to Friday, broadcast 19:00-c02:00 and initially broadcast from 12pm to c02:00am on Saturday and Sunday with a one hour delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Of course Virgin would be objecting. They are a sore on Irish broadcasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Were there any reasons why Virgin Media were objecting? Surely a +1 channel has very little effect on their ratings for all their ITV shows.
    And they'd probably be happier if RTE chose to do +1 channels, instead of creating a RTE3 with different programming, and giving another alternative to the numerous amounts of Tipping Point and The Chase that VIrgin Media show.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

iseegirls wrote: »
    Were there any reasons why Virgin Media were objecting? Surely a +1 channel has very little effect on their ratings for all their ITV shows.
    And they'd probably be happier if RTE chose to do +1 channels, instead of creating a RTE3 with different programming, and giving another alternative to the numerous amounts of Tipping Point and The Chase that VIrgin Media show.

We should have known about this months ago. And the dept should have consulted with audience.

No move on RTÉ News Now but the question has to be what are RTÉ's plans for that service.

When did Bruton take over the role of Minister?

• Advertisement

Maz2016 wrote: »
    So is my understanding, they will be increasing RTÉ 1+1’s hours (welcome) and RTÉ 2+1 will be similar to what RTÉ 1+1 is now but longer at weekends
    RTÉ proposes to make a +1 service of RTÉ2 available, which would be an exact replica of the RTÉ2 schedule in peak-time (from 18:00) Monday to Friday, broadcast 19:00-c02:00 and initially broadcast from 12pm to c02:00am on Saturday and Sunday with a one hour delay.

Also, RTÉ 2+1 will be allowed to extend its broadcast hours as required to broadcast special events such as the Olympics, Football tournaments etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Why not just 24 hours from the start? Seems odd.

JDxtra wrote: »
    Why not just 24 hours from the start? Seems odd.

It's taking over from RTÉ ONE +1 on Soarview which shares with RTÉjr.

I do not see the Public service in this addition, RTÉ2's prime time is made up of 55% repeats.

It is so hard to read these reports
    Additional revenue reinvested in content

RTÉ suggests "They then deduct from this €[] in mux charges, for a net deficit from the services of €[]."

The UK consultants suggest: "Consequently, we anticipate that the enhanced +1 services could result in an additional €1m net income for RTÉ."

Also haven't we being saying this on boards for a decade "Second, rather than using the mux charges for the channels, we have used the net increase in RTÉ mux charges (€450,000), to recognise that other RTÉ channels will see a reduction in their charge"

IMO

There will be no additional revenue. RTÉ ONE +1 extension will eat into RTÉ 1's current audience, the same goes for part-time RTÉ2 +1's.

Here's RTÉ ONE +1 audience share

2018 2017 2016 2015 2014
    RTÉ ONE 17.84% 18.39% 18.67% 17.68% 18.70%
    RTÉ ONE +1 0.71% 0.82% 0.77% 0.59% 0.50%
    Total 18.56% 19.21% 19.44% 18.27% 19.20%

Meanwhile in 2012 RTE ONE had 25%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

RTE2 +1 will be useful for schedule conflicts but there are too many repeats on RTE1/2 anyway.

For example, with RTE1 +1 going 24 hours and RTE2 +1 in the evenings, Home & Away and Neighbours will each be on 4 times each weekday. So there shouldn't be any need to show H&A again at the weekend but even if they cut the Sat/Sun repeats, what will replace it...another repeat of something else..ie no extra content.

Similarly, DWTS will be on 6 times per week.

IMO they should bring RTE2 forward by an hour (-1) because alot of their prime time programs are either repeats or poor quality reality TV. And the US dramas after midnight are pointless when a lot of viewers can record and skip the ads.
    Also, IMO, kids programs on RTE2 and on RTE Junior at similar times makes no sense, RTE2 up until midday could easily be called RTE Junior +1, they even have the Junior logo on screen. Those time slots would be more useful for documentaries or repeat of GAA programs from the previous weekend, in fact anything other than programs already on another channel from the same broadcaster.

VMs reason for objecting was probably that RTE would soon have more repeats than themselves.

• Advertisement

Ten Pin wrote: »
    RTE2 +1 will be useful for schedule conflicts but there are too many repeats on RTE1/2 anyway.

RTÉ2 +1 should be RTÉ2 +17 providing RTÉ2's late night schedule from 7 to 12 or so.

e.g. tomorrow on RTE2 +17

19:00 Don't Tell The Bride
    20:05 Shortscreen
    20:20 Mock the Week
    21:55 American Housewife
    21:20 Taken
    22:15 The Office
    22:50 The Office
    23:20 Close

Elmo wrote: »
    It's taking over from RTÉ ONE +1 on Soarview which shares with RTÉjr.

It won't be sharing a stream with RTEjr due to its flexible hours and early start at the weekends.

The Cush wrote: »
    It won't be sharing a stream with RTEjr due to its flexible hours and early start at the weekends.

Perhaps I am reading it wrong
    Following consideration of the issues outlined above, the Minister has decided to grant approval to RTÉ to proceed with the proposal, subject to the following conditions:
    1. RTÉ must ensure that following the decoupling of RTÉ One+1 and RTÉjr, that there is no impact on the provision of the RTÉjr service.
    2. In line with the RTÉ proposal, the services must remain as simulcasts of the parent channel and must not be used to provide additional content.

I note the early weekends. Yes going back to why isn't this 24hrs?

Perhaps I am reading it wrong

I think so, additional content would mean programming not already broadcast on the main channel, simulcast programmes only.

I note the early weekends. Yes going back to why isn't this 24hrs?

My guess would be bitrate transmission costs, cheaper to broadcast the primetime schedule only, extending it at the weekends to include sports fixtures.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

It's taking over from RTONE +1 on Soarview which shares with RTr.
    But they propose that it will start at 12pm at weekends. Does this mean RTE Jr. will stop at noon on those days?

My guess would be bitrate transmission costs, cheaper to broadcast the primetime schedule only, extending it at the weekends to include sports fixtures.

I was reading as if RTÉ2 +1 at the weekend would not start until 7pm. The proposal to provide addition sports coverage was not permitted. (also it means Home and Away will air 6 times across all schedules).

But sure your reducing cost for other channels the more you add.

JDxtra wrote: »
    But they propose that it will start at 12pm at weekends. Does this mean RTE Jr. will stop at noon on those days?

No, unlike RTE One+1 the RTE2 +1 service can only be on a separate stream to avoid overlapping with RTEjr.

I was reading as if RTÉ2 +1 at the weekend would not start until 7pm. The proposal to provide addition sports coverage was not permitted.

No additional sports content, just a simulcast of the content already carried on the main channel from 12:00 at the weekends and at other times at RTÉ's discretion.
    But sure your reducing cost for other channels the more you add.
    Yes but increasing the cost for RTÉ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭jimbo2007

What is happening on Saorsat? Is there any change there?

If so, which PIDs and SID is added on 9 East?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

jimbo2007 wrote: »
    What is happening on Saorsat? Is there any change there?

If so, which PIDs and SID is added on 9 East?

Thanks.

"RTE2 + 1" Now on Saorsat Channel 12
    Showing 2rn test screen and beep noise.
    No epg data

Must be doing a little work on Stations also TG4, RTÉ NEWS NOW and T na O all Showing as 4.3, black bars on side of SCREEN, a little annoying

I don't have pid or SID info

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Is the rte news now channel going to be ended?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

I hope not, I think it's a good channel

No, in it proposal the Dept last June RTÉ said
    RTÉ will maintain the portfolio of digital television services it currently offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

No, in it proposal the Dept last June RTÉ said

That is good as I thought I read here it was to be chopped. It is a useful channel for news events, major weather events, etc.

I still think a dedicated sport channel is needed.
    You could start live sport programmes 30 minutes beforehand on it and not be squeezed by other schedules.
    The GAA could have live games on a couple of channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭political analyst

That is good as I thought I read here it was to be chopped. It is a useful channel for news events, major weather events, etc.

I still think a dedicated sport channel is needed.
    You could start live sport programmes 30 minutes beforehand on it and not be squeezed by other schedules.
    The GAA could have live games on a couple of channels.

That already happens on the News Now channel occasionally - when scheduling conflicts mean that a game to which RTÉ has the rights cannot be broadcast on either of the main channels.

Furthermore, sports press conferences are also shown live on that channel.

Little or no promotion of this. Has anyone seen a promo on RTÉ for this. They are obsessed with promoting DWTS.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

That already happens on the News Now channel occasionally - when scheduling conflicts mean that a game to which RTÉ has the rights cannot be broadcast on either of the main channels.

Furthermore, sports press conferences are also shown live on that channel.

It's been very good for live coverage from inside the zoo at Westminster lately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Little or no promotion of this. Has anyone seen a promo on RTE for this. They are obsessed with promoting DWTS.

Only evidence available of any change is that RTE1 +1 is 24 hour from Wednesday.
    https://www.sky.com/tv-guide/20190213/4104-50/201

Advertisement