Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hub gear bike dilemma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Gandorf

beauf wrote: »
    Where are you testing these hub bikes? I'm considering on in the next couple of months.

I tried the editor in Fitz Cycles in Stillorgan. They have a cube travel bike with the the Alfine 8 in stock as well, looks v nice. Cyclesuperstore have some as well, cube hydes I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

The editor does look good. It has the CDX belt system which is more rugged than the CDN system on the Hyde race.

Potential downside is the Alfine 11 and some reports of leaking fluid, and less reliability than the 8. It might be worth checking up on latest reports, oh, and price as well. For €1600 your heading into premium territory could have your pick of virtually any hub bike, including the aforementioned BMC's, the AC01 or AC02. I would seriously consider this guy:

https://rocasports.ie/product/bmc-alpenchallenge-ac02-one/

Alpenchallenge_02_ONE.jpg

Or if you really have money to burn, you can get one of these with a Rohloff hub and belt drive for about £3000

img1.jpg

https://www.shandcycles.com/bikes/stoater/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Very nice. Not sure I'd leave it in the bike cage at work.

Norco Indie Alfine 11 would be about the same price too

indie-igh11-black.png

• Advertisement

Ah, so many lovely bikes :-)

My criteria for the bike was
    1. Alfine 11 (I rode an 8 and really wanted the extra range and closer ratios)
    2. CDX rather than CDN
    3. Fairly light <12kg
    4. Preferably LBS so I could try it out, and where there was some expertise in hubs gears should things go poorly.

The Editor seemed to fit the bill the best, at a reasonable price compared to some of the alternatives. e.g.

- Canyon Commuter 6 https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/urban/commuter/2018/commuter-6.html looks lovely but is CDN for €1700 (albeit with a carbon fork and dynamo lights but worse brakes but better hubs probably, ah fuhgeddaboudit).
    fcce1f459843fb0e00b4d3d050ca3.jpg

- BMC Alpenchallenge AC01 ONE is also a thing of beauty but is €2k
    Alpenchallenge_01_ONE-1440x1076.jpg

- Cube Travel SLT is also very tasty but is €1900, and heavier at 13.7 kg
    250600_light.jpg

I was able to try the Editor out, and there is a comfort in having the shop 10 mins walk up the road in case my hub gear / carbon drive experiment ends in tears. Also the shop does a good deal on accessories which brings the effective price down by a bit. All of which swung it against the Canyon, which I was really tempted by.

So the Editor it (probably) is. Plus I like the simple no nonsense stealth look

247400_light.jpg

Re the reliability of the Alfine 11. The old version SG-S700 has quite a few issues, but the new version SG-S7001-11 seems to have addressed them. There is a long term reliability thread at https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?t=64432&start=630
    The SG-S7001-11 IGH has the following newer parts that no longer can be used with the older SG-S700 model:
    Item No. 8 - Sun Gear 4
    Item No. 10 - Carrier 2 Unit
    Item No. 11 - Sun gear 2 Unit
    Item No. 12 - Carrier 1 Unit
    Item No. 14 - Hub Axle Unit
    Item No. 15 - Clutch Unit
    These are not trivial parts. They have to do with the functions that have well documented problems

... and indeed reports on the SG-S7001-11 since it was introduced are very good. I must have read every post on IGH and belt drives from the last 9 years. I'll let you know how it goes!

Sounds like you've done your research.

A couple of things about the Cube. Ask them to take of the 42 tyres and replace them. The rims will only take 32 and up. I went with 32 conti 4 seasons and am very happy with them. Less punctures last year than any other year.

The bars are also very wide - too wide for city commuting IMO. I cut about 10cm off mine.

The best fitting mudguards for the Cubes are SKS Primus 45's.

The saddle is awful!

Oh - and you might've dodged a bullet with the Canyon. Ive seen some damning reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Polar wizard adventure

I have an Editor. Lovely city/commute bike. Smooth, comfortable, handles well and is quick.

Had some issues initially with gear slippage from lights. Thought I had bought a lemon but having done some research I simply adjusted the barrel adjuster for the gears a quarter turn and it sorted it out entirely. As you probably know almost all issues with the gears are simple misalignment and can be sorted by minor adjustment of the indicators.

Two things I would point out, handlebars are stupidly wide and need to be cut and you must keep the pressure up in the tires or the bike starts to bounce in
    resonance with your peddle stroke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭py

droidus wrote: »
    A couple of things about the Cube. Ask them to take of the 42 tyres and replace them. The rims will only take 32 and up. I went with 32 conti 4 seasons and am very happy with them. Less punctures last year than any other year.

I replaced those tyres with myself with Schwalbe Marathon Plus 38mm, have been bullet proof after 2500Kms. Must put the original set of tyres up for sale, somebody will get some use out of them.
    The bars are also very wide - too wide for city commuting IMO. I cut about 10cm off mine.

Had not thought about that but they are unnecessarily wide, might be the only way to get some aero gains on this bike. :P

I went with the SKS Bluemels Reflective 45mm width as the tyres I got were quite big.
    The saddle is awful!

Updating it to a Brooks Cambium C17 has been on the list for a while now. I don't spend enough time on it (30 mins * twice a day, Mon-Fri) so doesn't really bother me that much with padded bib shorts/tights.

• Advertisement

Ask them to take of the 42 tyres and replace them. The rims will only take 32 and up. I went with 32 conti 4 seasons and am very happy with them. Less punctures last year than any other year.

I was going to change the tyres, but the reports on the Marathon Supremes are very good, so I think I'll give them a go. Can always change to the trusty Marathon Plus if they don't work out. Yeah 42s - Funnily enough they don't seem too huge on the bike

Yes definitely, they're massive. The shop is cutting them to 580mm, same as my old bike. I'm getting some ergon gp3 grips as well, because I can't do without bar ends.

Good to know thanks. The cube ACID ones were also mentioned as an option.

I have an Editor. Lovely city/commute bike. Smooth, comfortable, handles well and is quick.

Had some issues initially with gear slippage from lights. Thought I had bought a lemon but having done some research I simply adjusted the barrel adjuster for the gears a quarter turn and it sorted it out entirely. As you probably know almost all issues with the gears are simple misalignment and can be sorted by minor adjustment of the indicators.

Two things I would point out, handlebars are stupidly wide and need to be cut and you must keep the pressure up in the tires or the bike starts to bounce in
    resonance with your peddle stroke.

Nice! When did you get your one?

Good tip on the adjuster thanks, I've seen the same advice on a few forums. That and too loose belt tension seem to be the root cause of lots of issues.

py wrote: »
    I replaced those tyres with myself with Schwalbe Marathon Plus 38mm, have been bullet proof after 2500Kms. Must put the original set of tyres up for sale, somebody will get some use out of them.

Thanks py, I enjoyed reading the thread and your updates on the bike. I'm coming from Marathon Plus on the old bike, so will be interesting to see how the Supremes do.

I know the Plus are bulletproof but the supreme are half the weight (so tempting) and get great reviews. Fingers crossed.

Get the Gates app. I can almost guarantee that the belt will be under-tensioned when you get it from the shop.

Get the Gates app. I can almost guarantee that the belt will be under-tensioned when you get it from the shop.

Cheers, will do that. I think tension adjustment is via the eccentric bottom bracket on the cubes - is that handy enough to do?

Any recommendations on a light pannier rack?

Gandorf wrote: »
    Cheers, will do that. I think tension adjustment is via the eccentric bottom bracket on the cubes - is that handy enough to do?

Any recommendations on a light pannier rack?

Nah, its via the little screws on the sliding rear dropouts.

Nah, its via the little screws on the sliding rear dropouts.

Ah OK, I'll ask the guys at the shop to show me how it's done when I pickup the bike. Also pointers on how to change the rear wheel, 15mm stubby spanner will be packed in the frame bag.

So, this is something I never would've considered when purchasing or riding the a belt drive bike. I'd a fall recently due to black ice on the road and didn't notice anything broken on the bike at the time. Noticed something off with the drivetrain cycling home yesterday which would've been a few days of cycling after the incident. Managed to get home without incident so under some light I noticed that a couple of the belt teeth were missing so I've had to order a new belt. :( Not going to cycle it in the mean time. Unsure if it's normal wear and tear or if it was as a result of the crash.

Large image so externally linking: https://i.imgur.com/I3cyjh1.jpg

Sorry to hear that, hope you're OK. Isn't your bike still fairly new? I'd be looking for a replacement belt under warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Ah OK, I'll ask the guys at the shop to show me how it's done when I pickup the bike. Also pointers on how to change the rear wheel, 15mm stubby spanner will be packed in the frame bag.

Video here. You just need to know which way to turn the screws to increase/decrease tension. Depends on setup. You will know which way as you will feel the tension in the belt getting tighter or looser. Recommended to turn those screws an equal amount on each side (quarter turns is good) to keep the wheel centred.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThqSoNUCIYM

Tension on my cannondale was 98hz from the shop and 35-50 is recommended for an IGH. Rode it maybe a hundred km before adjusting it myself. Found the iphone app more consistent for taking readings compared to android. I have it around 53hz now.

Here's how to remove the wheel on a cube. Very boring but watchable. Basically rotate hub to get slack on the gear change cable (you may need a 2mm allen key), remove gear change cable, loosen nuts with a 15mm spanner, wheel comes off along with belt. Reverse to get wheel on but do not roll belt on as it will get damaged, just position it on the cog. The axel nuts need to be tightened to torque spec so the hub doesn't rotate against the axel. Mine are 30-45nm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo_BJ3pFIJI

• Advertisement

So, this is something I never would've considered when purchasing or riding the a belt drive bike. I'd a fall recently due to black ice on the road and didn't notice anything broken on the bike at the time. Noticed something off with the drivetrain cycling home yesterday which would've been a few days of cycling after the incident. Managed to get home without incident so under some light I noticed that a couple of the belt teeth were missing so I've had to order a new belt. :( Not going to cycle it in the mean time. Unsure if it's normal wear and tear or if it was as a result of the crash.

Large image so externally linking: https://i.imgur.com/I3cyjh1.jpg

That's a bummer and not normal wear and tear. Those yokes can last thousands of KM and only need cleaning with soapy water or silicon lube if you are really pushed. Hopefully a new belt won't be too pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭saccades

If you look at the photo of my Mtb on the previous page you can see the spanner on the bottle cage mounts. Drilled it with a dedicated metal drill bit and Piller drill but any engineering firm could do it easy.

Don't the modern alfine hubs have little tabs to release the cable. I found that if you dropped to bottom gear you could push the cable out of the retaining bit with your fingers easy enough.

Flaccus wrote: »
    Video here. You just need to know which way to turn the screws to increase/decrease tension. Depends on setup. You will know which way as you will feel the tension in the belt getting tighter or looser. Recommended to turn those screws an equal amount on each side (quarter turns is good) to keep the wheel centred.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThqSoNUCIYM

Shouldn't I see some horizontal bolts around the chainstay if it uses this method? Like shown in this pdf I found

https://www.cube.eu/fileadmin/user_upload/documents/FAQ_Documents/Belt_drive_Riemenantrieb.pdf

But I cant see these bolts on the 2019 editor.

247400_light_zoom.jpg

But I do see them on the 2016/17/18

739000_light.jpg

So i thought maybe the method had changed to an EBB one

Something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55y4SipEgOw

@Gandorf : probably best to email them. From their website

https://www.cube.eu/en/2019/bikes/tr
    "Split & Slide Dropout
    The SPLIT function allows the frame to open at the rear dropout to enable a drive belt to be mounted. The SLIDE function at the horizontal adjustable dropout allows wheel adjustment and chain/belt tension to be made easily without having to readjust the disc brakes. Adjustment screws avoid readjusting the wheel and ensure perfect function and durability."

However if you look here and click details
    https://www.cube.eu/en/2019/bikes/trekking/urban/editor/cube-editor-blacknpurple-2019/
    "It's also been specially designed to cope with the specific demands of the Gates belt drive, with an eccentric bottom bracket housing to make adjusting belt tension a simple process. "

So looks like it has that ecentric bb. Here's a guide on adjusting tension with it. Maybe helpful.
    https://www.montaguebikes.com/folding-bikes-blog/2016/03/adjusting-belt-tension-with-eccentric-bb/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Plastik

Check the inside of the drop out.

Flaccus wrote: »
    However if you look here and click details
    https://www.cube.eu/en/2019/bikes/trekking/urban/editor/cube-editor-blacknpurple-2019/
    "It's also been specially designed to cope with the specific demands of the Gates belt drive, with an eccentric bottom bracket housing to make adjusting belt tension a simple process. "[/url]

Duh I read that page and completely glossed over that, thanks!

Sorry to hear that, hope you're OK. Isn't your bike still fairly new? I'd be looking for a replacement belt under warranty.

I'm fine thanks. Had I not crashed it then I may bring it back but God only knows what happened with the belt when I hit the deck. Have a new one on order from Gates but looks like their ordering system is junk so going to have to call them tomorrow to get the order moving

I'm fine thanks. Had I not crashed it then I may bring it back but God only knows what happened with the belt when I hit the deck. Have a new one on order from Gates but looks like their ordering system is junk so going to have to call them tomorrow to get the order moving

Now's your chance to upgrade to CDX!!!

Now's your chance to upgrade to CDX!!!

If I was using this bike for more than commuting than I wouldn't have considered getting a belt drive to begin with. I get good use out of the full range of front/rear sprockets on my 11speed road bike going up/down hills for a few hours and don't see the CDX as a viable replacement for those for me right now.

Would l like CDX over CDN? Absolutely but the discretionary income set aside for bike stuff is being kept back for a new road bike in the next 12 months.

Replacement belt came in at €65 including postage. Probably should've got a second one to have at home but hopefully won't need it for a few years.

• Advertisement

Yeah, its a pricey upgrade, probably about €250, but Ive done about 5000 miles so far and I do worry about the long term resilience of CDN, plus I could really use a change in gear ratio at the top.

Advertisement