Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Continuous Contraceptive Pill

Options
  • 06-02-2019 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭

Thank you all for your posts, my wife has actually just signed up and posted a thread herself, so I'll just link it here and if future responses can go there that will be great :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭t1h9mgqsxopj0r

I'm posting this on behalf of my wife who doesn't have an account on boards.

There were articles a few weeks ago talking about how the pill is safe to take without the placebo break (eg here and here) and that doing so would stop you having periods entirely. My wife would be happy with this, so she went to our doctor to get a prescription. However, he had no idea about any of that, was quiet unhelpful and would only give her a prescription for the standard pill with the 7 day break. His only suggestion was to ask the pharmacy if they have any pill that is normally taken without a break. She did ask the pharmacy, but they also had no idea about those articles or taking the standard pill continuously and only suggested other brands of the pill with shorter breaks (e.g. 4 days) but that still have bleeds.

I have seen comments online in response to those articles from people who say they take the pill continuously, so I though to ask here of the women that do, did you get a prescription specifically for that? A prescription that gives you enough to take the pill continuously, skipping the placebo week? Or did you, like my wife, get a prescription for 6 months supply and just skip the placebo pills and go back to for a new prescription early? Will we need to go to e.g. a Well Woman Centre to get the prescription my wife wants?

I am on Microlite. I have been for a year. I continously take them everyday but I try to give myself a month here or there. When I take it continously I don't feel any worse or any better but it works for me. The pill can work differently but I say tell your wife to continue with the pack if wanted too. Same time every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I have been on a two different pills over the years that you take continously, they are designed with no break, but I still had periods, just not every 28 days. I would often go from a few months to two years with no period but once I bled for nearly a month too. Maybe it was that particular brand but it really messed with my system. I have come off it twice to get pregnant and each time it took three months for my period to come back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

I was on Cerazette, a mini pill (progesterone only) that had a 28 day prescription meaning no break day. So 6 month prescription lasted 6 * 28 days. I had no period with it - although this does not happen for all women. There is a generic version called Azalia. The Mirena coil will behave the same way as a progesterone only pill so for women who have no period with Cerazette they will likely have none with the Mirena coil either.

I find it unusual and alarming that neither a pharmacist or a GP was aware of the fact that you do not need to break from the regular pill, I was told this 15 years ago by my GP at the time.

If the GP is that out of date I would suggest changing to a better GP or going to a family planning clinic for pill type advice.

Advertisement