Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buzzard

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,643 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was that a squirrel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Hi new to this forum, lve seen 2 buzzards on a farm I lease near an estuary just a question would they kill a sleeping baby calf out in a field ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,643 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a calf? not a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

was that a squirrel?

I don't know, the bird picked it up from the ground and it was just that peace, but it could have been as there are loads on the gardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

lab man wrote: »
    Hi new to this forum, lve seen 2 buzzards on a farm I lease near an estuary just a question would they kill a sleeping baby calf out in a field ?

I’m not sure what to make of this question..but I’m going to assume it’s as innocent as it first appears...Buzzards will not interfere with, injure or kill a calf, further back in this thread in numerous post are descriptions of what they do take...oh, and they don’t take lambs either.

• Advertisement

Zoo4m8 wrote:
    I’m not sure what to make of this question..but I’m going to assume it’s as innocent as it first appears...Buzzards will not interfere with, injure or kill a calf, further back in this thread in numerous post are descriptions of what they do take...oh, and they don’t take lambs either.

I had a calf there 3 months ago 3 days old running around the fields following morning the calf was dead his eyes were picked out then I saw these birds which Ive never seen before,so I took a picture of them googled birds of prey irl and twas buzzards, so I'm only adding 2 and 2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I had a calf there 3 months ago 3 days old running around the fields following morning the calf was dead his eyes were picked out then I saw these birds which Ive never seen before,so I took a picture of them googled birds of prey irl and twas buzzards, so I'm only adding 2 and 2?
    Or calf was dead and Buzzard fed on carrion, which is the closest I've seen to a Buzzard eat lamb or calf, in many years of prolonged intense study of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

Yes they can kill young cattle,sheep and small dogs if they have been trained to use shotguns.

upupup wrote:
    Yes they can kill young cattle,sheep and small dogs if they have been trained to use shotguns.

Not funny to me sir, madam. Try getting another calf to suck a suckle cow you must not know much about it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

This is the biggest problem when it comes to any bird of prey. The old wives tails. They’re as believable as a fisherman’s story of the one that got away. And in turn has led to bird of prey being shot on sight. Buzzards have tiny feet despite being large birds they would struggle to take out s full grown rabbit. Mainly rats and small mammals and corvids are the main diet and even insects play a big part of their diet.
    They will scavenge a lamb corpse and this leads farmers and others to believe they killed it. They won’t. Their feet are too small to make a kill like that.
    Red kites look massive but they mainly scavenge or take out rats and mice. Often seen following tractors ploughing fields for victims. Yet they’re poisoned or shot for fear of killing livestock.
    Eagles like golden eagles were hunted to near extinction because of fear they’d take lambs or sheep or calves. Desperately maybe. But hated and rabbits are more so diet.
    Sea eagles name itself tells their location. And they’d mainly hunt fish and will scavenge aswell.
    Farmers believe and spread tales of birds of prey killing livestock but it’s false. There’s more risk of dogs killing livestock than birds of prey. More risk if livestock being knocked down than both put together. As a hunter I’ve still yet to see a buzzard taking a pheasant yet I’ve heard it from gun club members that it happens. I had a Harris hawk for hunting and even they struggle with a full grown cock pheasant and Harris hawk have much bigger feet.
    Don’t believe what you hear from through the grapevine tales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Grey crows will pick out the eyes of dead animals, including farm stock. Sometimes they will finish off a weak unguarded lamb or a ewe thats sick and on its back. Either way I guarantee u it wasn't a buzzard that interfered with that that calf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Was watching a pair of buzzards and some grey crows feeding on a ewe carcass today. Crows working as team to hassle the buzzards, one would go in front, while the other sneaked round and pecked the buzzards tail from behind. Buzzards stayed in control of the food though, until they were well fed.
    The ewe died during a very cold night, for whatever reason, probably was weak or sick.
    The birds come along the next day. Surprisingly some black backed gulls were the first on the scene, even though its a few miles inland and they would not normally be around. They must have amazing eyesight.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Strawberry1975

Good eating Mutton make a nice mutton stew few spuds an onion
    They say it improves ones eyesight.

Yes, throw in a few nice mushrooms as well, though they are hard to find at the moment.

I reckon so with the frost ya won't get the magic one's.
    Buy a few in lidl
    Try a bit of Grass for seasoning lol
    G'luck
    Wayne World

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Mod Note: I've issued some warnings to posters to stay on topic please!

I seen two buzzards caught in rat traps a month ago the traps were set for crows the traps had meat in them
    I think the buzzards going to go the same way as the barn owl
    Rat Trap on top of 6' Stake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

recedite wrote: »
    Was watching a pair of buzzards and some grey crows feeding on a ewe carcass today. Crows working as team to hassle the buzzards, one would go in front, while the other sneaked round and pecked the buzzards tail from behind. Buzzards stayed in control of the food though, until they were well fed.
    The ewe died during a very cold night, for whatever reason, probably was weak or sick.
    The birds come along the next day. Surprisingly some black backed gulls were the first on the scene, even though its a few miles inland and they would not normally be around. They must have amazing eyesight.

I once lived in a cottage overlooking a beach and I'll never forget one morning throwing out a few scraps of bread and seeing a herring gull fly from the tide line, about half a mile away that morning and fully out, all the way to the cottage for the bread. It felt like he was flying for ages just to reach the house. And he started flying the instant that bread was in the air, so it wasn't that he saw other birds causing a commotion waiting for the bread or anything because there weren't any at that moment. It was funny to see.

Wouldn't it be amazing to have similar eye sight to be able to see things so far away.

ThunderCat wrote: »
    I once lived in a cottage overlooking a beach and I'll never forget one morning throwing out a few scraps of bread and seeing a herring gull fly from the tide line, about half a mile away that morning and fully out, all the way to the cottage for the bread. It felt like he was flying for ages just to reach the house. And he started flying the instant that bread was in the air, so it wasn't that he saw other birds causing a commotion waiting for the bread or anything because there weren't any at that moment. It was funny to see.
    Interesting. You hear a lot about birds of prey and how good their sight is, but I wonder has anyone ever tested a gull's sight?
    They are kind of overlooked. And the larger species are far more predatory than most people think.

• Advertisement

Interesting. You hear a lot about birds of prey and how good their sight is, but I wonder has anyone ever tested a gull's sight?
    They are kind of overlooked. And the larger species are far more predatory than most people think.

Gulls, like most marine birds. have exceptional eyesight and can find food from quite a distance or height. However it's not nearly as developed as the vision of many raptors, who have many more receptors per sq mm and foveas with far more rods and cones that provide extraordinary distance vision.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mach Two

Gulls, like most marine birds. have exceptional eyesight and can find food from quite a distance or height. However it's not nearly as developed as the vision of many raptors, who have many more receptors per sq mm and foveas with far more rods and cones that provide extraordinary distance vision.

Compared to humans how much better are raptors.

Mach Two wrote: »
    Compared to humans how much better are raptors.

A lot.

I'm not in to trying to put a comparative measure on all the aspects or factors involved in sight. There's no single measure. But if you have 20/20 vision, they would have 20/4 at least.

To quote from elsewhere
    If you had an eagle's eyes you could see an ant crawling on the ground from the roof of a 10-story building. You could make out the expressions on soccer players' faces from the worst seats in the arena. Objects directly in your line of sight would appear magnified, and everything would be brilliantly coloured, rendered in an inconceivable array of shades.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I seen two buzzards caught in rat traps a month ago the traps were set for crows the traps had meat in them

What you describe is an illegal pole trap - I would be reporting such activity to the NPWS or Gardai. Crows can only caged trapped

http://wildlifecrime.ie/pages/Traps.html#GO-Illegal

A number of prosecutions have been brought in recent years in this area

"Pole traps are ILLEGAL

The term "pole trap" refers to a spring trap fastened to the top of a pole and used to kill birds of prey. In the past small circular gin traps were sold for that purpose. Of course gin traps are now illegal but legal traps like fenn traps are sometimes illegally used for this purpose. Birds of prey are very attracted to perching on solitary poles - even with a pole trap on top.

Any person who affixes, places or sets a trap, calculated or likely to cause death or bodily injury to any wild bird coming in contact with it, on any tree, pole, cairn or other structure shall be guilty of an offence"

Really I never knew

• Registered Users Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭corks finest

FFS idiots those who put them there, could have used a cage for the rats

• Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭emo72

seen a buzzard real close up at the m50 n4 interchange a couple of times this week. its right down on the fence only abot 6 feet away from me. seems to be getting a good bit of roadkill in that island.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

emo72 wrote:
    seen a buzzard real close up at the m50 n4 interchange a couple of times this week. its right down on the fence only abot 6 feet away from me. seems to be getting a good bit of roadkill in that island.

Unfortunately a lot of them end up with the same fate. Driving the m1 the other day saw 2 separate buzzards dead close to roadkill

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Beast4mdaeast

gzoladz wrote: »
    I got this very tame one in the Botanic Gardens a few months ago

45910827391_f0800ff9ed_b.jpg

45910825981_125a6d4841_b.jpg

Great photos. Very dark Buzzard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Beast4mdaeast

Very true i fly a trained harris hawk for falconry , and one thing ive learned dont under estimate any Birds eyesight, its not just the birds of prey, its the tiny robin in the garden has amazing eyesight to the super intelligent corvids and gulls there eyesight must be just as good as ive seen them spot me & my harris from over a km away at times, amazing animals ,Birds

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement