Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crypto CGT owed for 2017

Options
  • 30-01-2019 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Long story short, I owe tax on crypto activity in 2017. I want to pay it, even though my crypto assets have basically dwindled down to the amount I need to settle the tax bill.

I was very naive trading in 2017, no idea what I was doing and certainly no idea about tax. I know it's already late, both the payment and the return. I know I'll owe decent interest.

But I don't even know where to start with this. The forms for 2017 don't even exist any more. I would love to hear from anyone who has been in this position, and successfully settled it with Revenue. I'd also love to know what accountant (if any) was used in such a case.

Much appreciated. I know I am an idiot, you don't have to remind me. But you're free to :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Did you realise the gains by selling?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Billy The Quid

Amirani wrote: »
    Did you realise the gains by selling?

Yes.

Only crypto to crypto sales, but everything I've read suggests these count exactly the same as crypto - > cash for tax purposes.

Advertisement